Help with Steering Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some help fellow 100 series gurus. I have a 2007 LX 470 (129k miles). Recently the power steering pump started squealing. When I sprayed a little silicon on the pulley while running the noise would go away and then come back in 30 seconds. Because the 2007 power steering pump pulley can't be replaced, I went ahead and replaced the power steering pump with a brand new OEM one and the serpentine belt while I was in there. Also replaced the banjo washer, and two top hoses that connect to the reservoir.

I followed the procedures listed in this thread, including the "bleeding" procedure at the end to get air out of the system.

It ran great for two weeks with no problems, squeal was gone, and life was good. Yesterday however, I was out driving on some country dirt roads, and when I got on the freeway to come back home, the steering is noticeably stiffer than before. It used to feel like it had great response with just the right pressure when turning, and now it is almost tough to turn. I looked at the power steering fluid level, and it is perfect, right where it was after doing the replacement procedure. No visible leaks up top. I have turned the wheels while the truck is in park and had someone listen for a noise coming from the pump and there is nothing that sounds out of line.

I had my wife and dad drive it, and they said they don't really feel anything, but it isn't their daily driver so I don't know that they would notice any difference.

The only thing that happened while driving it yesterday is I dropped down a 3-4" curb when trying to get across an access road, and made sure to go really slow (5mph or less), but other than that it has been smooth roads.

Any tips or suggestions? Am I just being paranoid?

Need some help fellow 100 series gurus. I have a 2007 LX 470 (129k miles). Recently the power steering pump started squealing. When I sprayed a little silicon on the pulley while running the noise would go away and then come back in 30 seconds. Because the 2007 power steering pump pulley can't be replaced, I went ahead and replaced the power steering pump with a brand new OEM one and the serpentine belt while I was in there. Also replaced the banjo washer, and two top hoses that connect to the reservoir.

I followed the procedures listed in this thread, including the "bleeding" procedure at the end to get air out of the system.

It ran great for two weeks with no problems, squeal was gone, and life was good. Yesterday however, I was out driving on some country dirt roads, and when I got on the freeway to come back home, the steering is noticeably stiffer than before. It used to feel like it had great response with just the right pressure when turning, and now it is almost tough to turn. I looked at the power steering fluid level, and it is perfect, right where it was after doing the replacement procedure. No visible leaks up top. I have turned the wheels while the truck is in park and had someone listen for a noise coming from the pump and there is nothing that sounds out of line.

I had my wife and dad drive it, and they said they don't really feel anything, but it isn't their daily driver so I don't know that they would notice any difference.

The only thing that happened while driving it yesterday is I dropped down a 3-4" curb when trying to get across an access road, and made sure to go really slow (5mph or less), but other than that it has been smooth roads.

Any tips or suggestions? Am I just being paranoid?

Also it feels like it wants to just go strait, almost like if you turn left or right for a slight adjustment it wants to snap back to center position. It tracks straight down the road. Kind of felt like flat front tires at first, but I checked pressures and they are fine. I do have some greasing coming out of one of the CV axles, and it makes a click every once in awhile, but don't know if a bad cv axle could cause stiff turning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom