Help With Smoking Manifold on my 86 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First time posting here. I’ve gathered tons of info from here for this project so thought I’d ask for some insight. I have an ‘86 FJ60 that I’ve gone through and refurbished most of the engine with many new parts. It is desmogged and currently running the cheap Amazon carb while I get Aisin rebuilt. Most of the gaskets and seals have been replaced, except for the exhaust manifold gasket, although it appears to be newer. I started it up for first time today and got the idle adjusted. I’m seeing smoke come out from behind the carb on what appears to be the manifold. I do not see any active leaks and have retightened the valve cover thinking oil was seeping out and hitting the hot manifold. It starts after the engine has been idling for about 2-3 minutes and only in this one location. It’s a white smoke but cant really tell any discernible smell. Curious if you all think this is just some residual old oil that is burning off or something of more concern?

54361467-95C2-40D1-88E6-FAD09B9CAC5F.jpeg

I will add that the smoke keeps coming back after starting it 4-5 separate times. Haven’t had a chance to drive it yet since I need to wrap up a few other things first.

1) Are you in the middle of de-smogging?
2) Have you done the timing/distributor stuff yet?
3) Was the engine already de-smogged and running currently before the work you are currently doing?
* This has happened to me. I can't say for certain what it was, this was 6 years ago. But, if I remember correctly, it happened while trying to get the timing right. I believe I installed the distributor 1 tooth off, and incorrect timing + untuned carb caused it to be very rich that unburned fuel was in the manifold, OR, the carb flooded and dripped fuel onto the manifold. I dont remember it having an obvious smell (fuel) either, i dont think it did. I remember being very concerned, and being very relieved when it was all running correctly again lol
* It went away have reinstalling the distributor, tuning it, and having the right carb on.

Attach files

@masonbarnard

Thanks for the insight. I have fully desmogged the engine. I set the distributor up according to the FSM but have not checked with timing light yet, just got it started for first time yesterday when I noticed the smoke. The engine was original with all the smog equipment when I got it. It was in rough shape but ran, briefly, when I got it. I will check timing and also the carb since it may be the culprit being one of the cheap ones.

@pdugas

Would an exhaust manifold leak produce a visible smoke? Never dealt with one before
Yes it can . My 60 had an exhaust leak and I could see a light blue smoke coming from my exhaust manifold when I would start it up. My valve seals were bad. I pulled the head and had it rebuilt. I also had my exhaust and intake manifolds resurfaced. No more leaks or smoke .

It might be just residual goop left on the parts that are burning off. All refurbished engines smoke a bit at first start.

If the smoke goes away after engine warms up / but returns on the next startup, then something is out of whack

Just curious, when you refurbished the engine , why didn’t you replace the manifold gasket ? What all was changed or rebuilt ?

@OSS @pdugas

Smoke develops after running for about 2-3 minutes and has persisted as long as I’ve had the engine running, which hasn’t been too long maybe 5-7 minutes max. It has come back each time I’ve restarted it. I will try to let it run a little longer this evening and see what happens.

I didn’t replace the manifold gasket during engine refurb since it looked newish to me. It was still a bright silver-metallic color on the exposed areas.

The engine bay refresh included new alternator, water pump, starter, valve cover gasket, v belts, fan clutch, side cover gasket, front cam seal and cover gasket, radiator, most of the cooling hoses, oil cooler and piping, carburetor, distributor, plug wires, spark plugs, reconnected engine temp sensor and carb fan wiring.

I'd just tape a warning label off a pack of cigarettes' on the carb insulator. That should take care of it.
:rofl: :flipoff2::beer:✌️

Did you check the manifold bolts to see if they were torqued correctly ? Is the level in your radiator staying full ? When you said you refurbished most of the engine with new parts , I assumed you meant internal parts. Was the engine running before you worked on it ? Was the smoke there or is this a new issue ? As was stated above. It could be gunk or residue burning off. I would spray the area with carb or brake cleaner and see if it still smokes .

Last edited:
Did you check the manifold bolts to see if they were torqued correctly ? Is the level in your radiator staying full ? When you said you refurbished most of the engine with new parts , I assumed you meant internal parts. Was the engine running before you worked on it ? Was the smoke there or is this a new issue ? As was stated above. It could be gunk or residue burning off. I would spray the area with carb or brake cleaner and see if it still smokes .
I’ll check torque on the manifold. Radiator is still full so far but haven’t ran it for long periods yet. Yes engine ran before but not very good and had quite a few missing or disconnected hoses and wires. I didn’t notice smoke before digging into the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom