help with ford conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have decided to put in a complete ford drivetrain. i know i should just do a sbc, but i have already done one of those so now i want to try something different. i am going to use a 5.0 and a c4/c6/aod. i haven't decided the transmission yet, but i have been thinking of doing the aod and just build the crap out of it so it won't break. the question is, is a 2wd c4/c6/aod the same as a 4wd version? i have a c4 that is rebuilt with a shift kit that i am thinking of using but i kinda want overdrive, and it is also a 2wd. another thing, what transfer case will work? fords have the driver side drop instead of the passenger and i don't want to use the fj40 case mainly because it is completely shot and like i said, i want to do something a little different. any ideas?

I think it was advance adapters that made a car C4 to toyota minitruck case adapter. Years ago I helped a friend put a 88 mustang motor and a C4 from a cougar in his 86 pickup. You would still need a centered rear diff, but at least the front output would be right. I'm more of a ford guy than a chevy guy myself (although I own neither, but did have an 86 mustang gt once) and I know that marks adapters in australia makes a bellhousing for a 302 to a stock cruiser tranny. That would be pretty cool.

5.0/c6/D300 is about the shortest you can get in a 40. Any other conversion gets real long quick. AOD is a TON longer but has a nice overdrive.

C6 is also considerably cheaper when adapters are concerned.

would i need an adapter for the dana 300? would it work with all of these transmissions?

no adapter between the D300 and a 4wd c6..
Just a new input gear with the proper spline count.

does it matter the model of d300 other than it is a passenger drop? i know there are a couple of different bolt patterns because i once tried finding a d300 for a jeep that i once owned (i know, i am a loser for going the jeep route). where would i go for the correct input gear? i am looking at a c6 at a local junkyard that is guaranteed to be good. it is a 4wd c6. sorry for not being up to par on all of the ford transmission stuff. i have only messed with 2wd c4s and the toploader in my mach, never with the 4wd model.

I believe that scout D300's are different.

Just look for the round 6 bolt (I think) pattern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom