help with ford conversion

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by ajfriz, Jul 6, 2005.

1. ajfriz

ajfriz

i have decided to put in a complete ford drivetrain. i know i should just do a sbc, but i have already done one of those so now i want to try something different. i am going to use a 5.0 and a c4/c6/aod. i haven't decided the transmission yet, but i have been thinking of doing the aod and just build the crap out of it so it won't break. the question is, is a 2wd c4/c6/aod the same as a 4wd version? i have a c4 that is rebuilt with a shift kit that i am thinking of using but i kinda want overdrive, and it is also a 2wd. another thing, what transfer case will work? fords have the driver side drop instead of the passenger and i don't want to use the fj40 case mainly because it is completely shot and like i said, i want to do something a little different. any ideas?

2. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

I think it was advance adapters that made a car C4 to toyota minitruck case adapter. Years ago I helped a friend put a 88 mustang motor and a C4 from a cougar in his 86 pickup. You would still need a centered rear diff, but at least the front output would be right. I'm more of a ford guy than a chevy guy myself (although I own neither, but did have an 86 mustang gt once) and I know that marks adapters in australia makes a bellhousing for a 302 to a stock cruiser tranny. That would be pretty cool.

3. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

5.0/c6/D300 is about the shortest you can get in a 40. Any other conversion gets real long quick. AOD is a TON longer but has a nice overdrive.

C6 is also considerably cheaper when adapters are concerned.

4. ajfriz

ajfriz

would i need an adapter for the dana 300? would it work with all of these transmissions?

5. Mace

no adapter between the D300 and a 4wd c6..
    Just a new input gear with the proper spline count.

6. ajfriz

ajfriz

does it matter the model of d300 other than it is a passenger drop? i know there are a couple of different bolt patterns because i once tried finding a d300 for a jeep that i once owned (i know, i am a loser for going the jeep route). where would i go for the correct input gear? i am looking at a c6 at a local junkyard that is guaranteed to be good. it is a 4wd c6. sorry for not being up to par on all of the ford transmission stuff. i have only messed with 2wd c4s and the toploader in my mach, never with the 4wd model.

7. Mace

I believe that scout D300's are different.

Just look for the round 6 bolt (I think) pattern

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.