Help with CDL and 4LO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys.
Just in case, I want to clarify that I used the search function, but couldn't get answers to my questions! sorry if they ve already been answered.

So I have a 1993 FZJ80 Us Spec, built date Sept 92. No lockers, no ABS. It has a Center Diff lock button.
The questions are the following:

Is there a 4LO light in the dashboard?
Does the CDL only engages when it is in 4LO? Is there a light on the dashboard? Should it appear when I insert the key?

4Lo works great, the shifter is a bit hard, but it engages. CDL I can't seem to notice if it engages or not. I see no light, when starting the car or when pressing the CDL switch. Also didn't listen anything when pressing the switch.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

No 4LO dash light but there is an indicator when the CDL is locked if working properly.

CDL locks in 4LO in factory setup and in high or low using the dash switch. With engine off, ignition "on" when you press the CDL dash switch you should hear the CDL relay in the driver's side kick panel click. If that clicks then you should be able to hear the CDL actuator function for a couple of seconds. If the 4LOW position sensor on the output extension of the transfer case is working properly then it functions just like using the dash switch.

When the CDL actually locks there is another sensor switch on the front of the transfer case, above the front driveshaft, that if working will light light the CDL light in the gauge cluster. It's very common that sensor/switch to fail showing no dash light but the CDL still locks.

Edit: It is very common for a previous owner to do the "Pin 7" mod that eliminates the automatic CDL activation when switching to low range which means the dash switch is the sole control of the CDL activation. This allows low range without CDL lockup so you avoid windup in high traction situations.

Last edited:
No 4LO dash light but there is an indicator when the CDL is locked if working properly.

CDL locks in 4LO in factory setup and in high or low using the dash switch. With engine off, ignition "on" when you press the CDL dash switch you should hear the CDL relay in the driver's side kick panel click. If that clicks then you should be able to hear the CDL actuator function for a couple of seconds. If the 4LOW position sensor on the output extension of the transfer case is working properly then it functions just like using the dash switch.

When the CDL actually locks there is another sensor switch on the front of the transfer case, above the front driveshaft, that if working will light light the CDL light in the gauge cluster. It's very common that sensor/switch to fail showing no dash light but the CDL still locks.

Edit: It is very common for a previous owner to do the "Pin 7" mod that eliminates the automatic CDL activation when switching to low range which means the dash switch is the sole control of the CDL activation. This allows low range without CDL lockup so you avoid windup in high traction situations.
Thanks for the reply and the thorough explanation!
Will check tomorrow with ignition on to see if I can hear the relay in first place, and the actuator.

I don't know the "Pin 7" mod, but I don't think this is the case, since I doubt anybody in Argentina would know about that!

Will come back with results!
Cheers and thanks again

Reactions: ppc

Tried to engage the CDL with ignition ON, and nothing happened, so I guess I Will have to check in the following order:
1. CDL button
2. Relay
3. Actuator
4. Every plug/connection in the transfer case

Cheers.
Thanks

So. over the weekend, I went wheeling with some friends. When driving in 4LO, after a few minutes (5-10 aprox) the CDL light suddenly appeared on my dashboard. So I assume the CDL works. I must have an issue with the switch? Or maybe it was hardly ever used in 4LO or with the CDL engaged?
Cheers

Best practice is to periodically engage low range to keep the CDL functioning properly. Based upon your latest observation the problem is most likely related to the sensor/switches on the transfer case. There are three on the transfer case and two more if you have front and rear lockers. @george_tlc has a nice writeup on his website for a procedure for refurbishment.

Best practice is to periodically engage low range to keep the CDL functioning properly. Based upon your latest observation the problem is most likely related to the sensor/switches on the transfer case. There are three on the transfer case and two more if you have front and rear lockers. @george_tlc has a nice writeup on his website for a procedure for refurbishment.

THANKS A LOT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom