Help With Birf Field Seals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, All!

The weekend of June 9th, I'm going to be replacing my Birf Field Seals. This will be my first time doing this so I thought I'd see if anyone was available to lend a hand as it sounds like it's a pretty lengthy one. Thanks to Collin (@d3lta_foxtrot) has offered to let me use his garage. If you're around and interested please let me know!

Hey, All!

The weekend of June 9th, I'm going to be replacing my Birf Field Seals. This will be my first time doing this so I thought I'd see if anyone was available to lend a hand as it sounds like it's a pretty lengthy one. Thanks to Collin (@d3lta_foxtrot) has offered to let me use his garage. If you're around and interested please let me know!
Date and time? Not hard but extremely dirty. It can be an all day affair

preasure wash both knuckles real good before starting.

birfield seal? I'll assume, inner axle seal?

have a good knuckle kit?

Will do. Maybe that's what I'll do on Friday night before we pull into the garage. I picked up everything I believe I need from Ressler, so hopefully, it's good!

I picked up everything I believe I need from Ressler, so hopefully, it's good!

do you have a list of what you got? was it sold as a kit or individual pieces?

The fact is, I think I need to do the same to mine so I'd like to join in order to learn the process. I was just looking at the kit in the SOR catalog.

there are better/nicer vendors to buy from. cruiserbrothers or cruiseroutfitters either of them will treat you fair with quality parts.
@orangefj45
@cruiseroutfit
Agreed. I just find that the SOR catalog provides the best diagrams to figure out all the parts since I don't know much in that department.
So, I'd just like to tag along for the education.

there are better/nicer vendors to buy from. cruiserbrothers or cruiseroutfitters either of them will treat you fair with quality parts.
@orangefj45
@cruiseroutfit
+1 for Cruiser brothers. The terrain tamer kit from Cruiser Brothers is great quality. I have used they're kit a few times an have half of a kit that lives in my cruiser as a spare. My brother and dad just rebuilt my mom's 80 with that kit this past weekend. Also I could probably be available the 9th to help walk you through it @travcaldwell @DarnMarie

Here’s the parts list

7735CAEA-83E0-4BBC-AB61-23CA789F2264.jpeg

are you doing wheel bearings at the same time? Don't forget the 54mm socket

are you doing wheel bearings at the same time? Don't forget the 54mm socket

what series rig is this?
I wouldn't have bought the seals individually, that is why there are kits made and supplied and they could come with KOYO bearings.
I'd use Marlin seals. not OEM, when you see the 2 side by side you'll understand
I also replace all bearings and races while there, hardly anymore labor and lots of peace of mind. wheel bearings and trunion bearings.

what series rig is this?
I wouldn't have bought the seals individually, that is why there are kits made and supplied and they could come with KOYO bearings.
I'd use Marlin seals. not OEM, when you see the 2 side by side you'll understand
I also replace all bearings and races while there, hardly anymore labor and lots of peace of mind. wheel bearings and trunion bearings.
I agree. If you don't know when the bearings were last done I would replace them. After that they should be good for a long time with regular maintenance.

Also it might be overkill. But if you are going to wheel the truck hard it can't hurt to put new studs on the bottom of the knuckle. Then keep them tight to avoid any future problems.

Also I like a long section of pic pipe or some thing else like it. I use that to remove the axle shaft from the birfeild.

Slide the axle shaft into the pipe. Put rag or something soft in the end and drop the end of it from a few inches on to the ground. It will pop the shaft free.

Man, the "while you are in there" list grows. Consider roters and pads if yours are not good. It will all be apart.

Where is the shop you will be using? Is it in Bozeman? I have had a lot of good help form the 406 guys. So if i am off that day count me in. I will come up. I have done mine a few times but i dont claim to be a expert. If you need it i have some simple tools like the 54mm.

Man, the "while you are in there" list grows. Consider roters and pads if yours are not good. It will all be apart.

good call I forgot about the pads and rotors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom