Help With Birf Field Seals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

what series rig is this?
I wouldn't have bought the seals individually, that is why there are kits made and supplied and they could come with KOYO bearings.
I'd use Marlin seals. not OEM, when you see the 2 side by side you'll understand
I also replace all bearings and races while there, hardly anymore labor and lots of peace of mind. wheel bearings and trunion bearings.
Thanks. 80 Series. It's a 95. I'll start looking into wheel bearing and races.

I agree. If you don't know when the bearings were last done I would replace them. After that they should be good for a long time with regular maintenance.

Also it might be overkill. But if you are going to wheel the truck hard it can't hurt to put new studs on the bottom of the knuckle. Then keep them tight to avoid any future problems.
I'll look into the studs.

Also I like a long section of pic pipe or some thing else like it. I use that to remove the axle shaft from the birfeild.

Slide the axle shaft into the pipe. Put rag or something soft in the end and drop the end of it from a few inches on to the ground. It will pop the shaft free.
Pic Pipe?

Man, the "while you are in there" list grows. Consider roters and pads if yours are not good. It will all be apart.

Where is the shop you will be using? Is it in Bozeman? I have had a lot of good help form the 406 guys. So if i am off that day count me in. I will come up. I have done mine a few times but i dont claim to be a expert. If you need it i have some simple tools like the 54mm.
It would be great to have you around. Sounds like you know a lot more about all this then I do! We're doing it at one of the other 406 members garages here in Bozeman. 54mm sounds like it will come in handy too!

@travcaldwell do you want to start taking it apart on Thursday june 7th? That way, you could buy any extra parts on Friday, and ask questions on the forum before we really get into it on Saturday. Just a thought...

I don't know what parts you'll be able to get locally on short notice. But it does make sense to do the things others mentioned "while you're in there". It's just such a process to tear the axles and hubs apart. Wheel and trunion bearings for sure, brakes depending on condition, steering knuckle studs, it's all just peace of mind. Do it all and you should have trouble free axles for a while.

How did this work out? I ended up having to work Saturday. Did you get it all done or do you still need any help with it?

I have found two things that help front end work are...

1. An old cookie sheet from your kitchen (or Goodwill) great for laying greasy parts on and hitting them with brake cleaner or similar.
2. Toilet paper, cleans up the old grease really well.

Probably too late but I thought it could help someone down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom