Help w/starting issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So have a lexus lx470, 99, had alternator go out, dropped and swapped, went out again after about a year, ok no problem...yea right! Drop swap AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!! I did this 5-6 times before digging through the archives of knowledge here, starter could be culprit, ok. Starter is a nightmare, but done. Now to start, nada, zip, zilch, zero! Ok, buddy and I check fuel line, no coming out...change fuel pump. Now we start? NOPE!!! I've checked all relays, battery tested passed, alternator checked, same. So what am I missing?

Does it turn over after you replaced starter?

To quote someone smarter than me ...

"Any error codes stored that you can read with Techstream and post?"

Most aftermarket alternators that you get from car parts stores are junk, and would explain why you had to replace again, and again. That should be independent from your inability to start the car now though, as long as battery is fully charged. I can't understand your story of how you went from bad alternator again and again to not starting at all.

Battery test passed and a battery actually good are two different things. And, feels like lots of gaps in the info. Alt out but still starting, but now starter? If you're not getting fuel - is the pump running, power at the pump harness?

Battery test passed and a battery actually good are two different things. And, feels like lots of gaps in the info. Alt out but still starting, but now starter? If you're not getting fuel - is the pump running, power at the pump harness?
I checked relay and good, fuel pump is running can hear it, also replaced, and fuel coming out

When you try and crank the starter, do the dash lights completely go out?

did you pinch or twist the drivers side fuel line when replacing the intake ?
No

Yea, even tried starting fluid, no go

Yes

Yes

Most aftermarket alternators that you get from car parts stores are junk, and would explain why you had to replace again, and again. That should be independent from your inability to start the car now though, as long as battery is fully charged. I can't understand your story of how you went from bad alternator again and again to not starting at all.
Me either.

Can you please clarify what happened when it was at nada, zip, zilch, zero and NOPE stages?
No crank, no click, nothing.

OK! Best to try and clean the battery contacts and really crank down on the nuts for the battery terminals.

When the dash lights go dark when trying to crank the starter, you have a lack of voltage/current issue. Close that circuit properly and we can proceed to solving the next issue.

It has happened to many of us, me included.

OK! Best to try and clean the battery contacts and really crank down on the nuts for the battery terminals.

When the dash lights go dark when trying to crank the starter, you have a lack of voltage/current issue. Close that circuit properly and we can proceed to solving the next issue.

It has happened to many of us, me included.
Ok! Would it still take a jump if that was the case?

Maybe not, if the current can't get into the battery cables successfully.

Just vent some frustration on those battery terminal nuts. Within reason. This is not a call to violence (necessary disclaimer in the current times)

Ok! Would it still take a jump if that was the case?

Maybe not, if the current can't get into the battery cables successfully.

Just vent some frustration on those battery terminal nuts. Within reason. This is not a call to violence (necessary disclaimer in the current times)
Hahaha, awesome advice! They are tight, not budging. Still same result, unsure if battery is bad, don't want to buy what I don't need..

OK, from experience, not budging may not be enough. I fought this myself in the spring.

Remove the battery terminals, clean the posts, clean the terminals, reinstall. Crank those nuts (!!). Then try to crank the motor.

If that doesn't do it, then I'm afraid the electrical can't support the current draw somewhere else (at the starter perhaps).

FWIW, Costco carries batteries with revolving warranties. The warranty starts via the date on the sticker on the battery, not based on your receipt from initial purchase. This is in practice with a million dollar smile and receipt that doesn't look like it is 20 years old.

OK, from experience, not budging may not be enough. I fought this myself in the spring.

Remove the battery terminals, clean the posts, clean the terminals, reinstall. Crank those nuts (!!). Then try to crank the motor.

If that doesn't do it, then I'm afraid the electrical can't support the current draw somewhere else (at the starter perhaps).

FWIW, Costco carries batteries with revolving warranties. The warranty starts via the date on the sticker on the battery, not based on your receipt from initial purchase. This is in practice with a million dollar smile and receipt that doesn't look like it is 20 years old.
Brilliant good sir! A buddy said timing belt maybe the issue, but being a cold beer, shady tree mechanic kind a guy, I REALLY don't want to mess with that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom