Help Replacing Steering Wheel on 1999 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The All leather steering wheel on my 1999 Lexus LX is in pretty bad shape. Too much sun and hand "grime" over the years has caused the leather to crack. Anyway, after searching for some time I found a used OEM wood and leather wheel in perfect condition. The seller said the wheel fit land cruisers and LX 470's 1998 to 2002. Used wheel arrived and it appeared to be a perfect match until I started to slide it on. The outside diameter of the center of the wheel that slides into the bushing connected to the clock spring is too big. It also has 3 ribs where my Lexus has only two. Anyone have any ideas how I can make it work? Thanks!

image.jpg

Can anyone with experience replacing a steering wheel on a 98-02 LC or LX please help. There may be a possibility that the used steering wheel I purchased is from a 98-02 LC and that it wont' fit the 98-02 LX because the bushing on the clock spring/switch is different. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If it is OEM wood/leather, that makes it impossible to be an LC steering wheel. The wheel described was optional on all LX's MY 2000 forward. While optional. I have literally not seen a single LX steering wheel post 2000 that is not as described.

Indeed either a LX or LC steering wheel should be interchangable. Not come across many who have changed theirs out.

Ya if it has wood it has to be from a Lexus. Seems very strange that the design would be different though as your description sounds like it would be a perfect fit. I'm interested to find out what's going on here though because I was hoping to swap my worn out leather wheel with a wood lexus one at some point.

OK, Here is what I found out at the Lexus Dealership; my 1999 LX has a production date of 09/1998 and there was a "running" production change during for the 1999 model year. So, the wheel I purchased will fit LC and LX models produced in 1999-2002. Furthermore, the problem fitting the new wheel isn't with the clock spring (Lexus calls it a spiral spring) the problem is with the combo switch behind it. The good news is that the newer combo switch is a direct replacement for my 1999 LX (with a 1998 production date). The bad news is the dealership wants about $800 for the new switch. I might find a better price online. Also, the combo switch is modular; meaning the turn signal and wiper switches "unplug" from the combo switch's center piece. The center piece houses the bushing that the newer steering wheel fits. This bushing rotates with the steering wheel to register the wheels position with the POS sensor. Also, it appears that my turn signal and wiper switches will work with the newer combo switch center piece. So, maybe I could find a used combo switch or center piece. Does anyone have a recommendation for LC or LX salvage parts?

Out of curiosity, how much did the wheel you found cost? If you do not mind me asking. Hopefully a less expensive solution will manifest.

Out of curiosity, how much did the wheel you found cost? If you do not mind me asking. Hopefully a less expensive solution will manifest.

+1. I look every now and then for a used LC or LX wheel like you found to fix my 2000 LC. I haven't had a whole lot of luck though. Mine currently has a wheel skin cover on it but it is in rough shape.

I hope that you can find a used combo switch so that you can make this wheel work for you!

Great detective work, Agent T. So I'm gathering that the 98 steering wheel is unique, and that everything after will be a direct swap. BUT, by replacing the combo switch with 99+ one, and a matching steering wheel, you will be able to fit the newer wheel and switch to a 98. Is that correct?

Cost me around $300 to have the leather removed and re-wrapped and if I'm not mistaken, a new LC steering wheel runs about $800. www.craftcustoms.com Good as new. Just borrow the communal loaner steering wheel while you send yours out to get rejuvenated.

Well I hate to call BS on myself, but it may appear I received bad information. I took the wheel back to the Lexus parts department today, looking to see if my steering wheel position sensor would work with a later model combo switch parts. This time the parts manager was there. He confirmed there were "running" changes during the model year, but that the parts were still interchangeable. Then he had a brilliant idea, "why not look up the part number on the steering wheel you purchased on eBay" Duh! Should have done this earlier. Turns out the part number stamped on the wheel (45103-30240 B1) is from a 1997-1999 Lexus LS and their system says the wheel is not interchangeable with the LX470. Sounds like the game is over. FYI: I paid $500 on ebay. If it would have worked, it would have been a really good deal as the wheel is in near new condition. Real burl wood!

Hey Yotasavg, I'm going to look to see if there is some combination of parts that could make it work, but without getting my hands on the parts, at a reasonable cost, I'm not sure how feasible that will be. Hopefully, I can just return the wheel and start the search over again.

If you bought it on Ebay and it was described as an LX wheel but was really a LS wheel you should be able to get your money back. Contact the seller and if that fails open a dispute through eBay.

I recently got my '99 LC100 wheel professionally recovered, and am super happy with the results. It was all ripped up and rotten after 300,000km so I removed it from the truck, and sent it to this guy: http://royalsteeringwheels.com he did an awesome job at a pretty reasonable price too. He's UK based, but I bet you can find somewhere equivalent local to you. See attached picture for the 'after' photo

steering_wheel_fixed2.jpg

I got a wheel skin leather cover from amazon for my LX. Fit very well and the tan color matches too. Feels great. Very happy.

As long as you can return it if it doesn't fit, I suppose you'd be ok.

btw, just sent my steering wheel off to craftcustoms tonight. I hate living with out until it returns - but may do some body/paint work while I'm waiting. It is good to know it will fit.

Gil
Ventura

I've been looking at that wheel on Ebay. The price is great, but I don't want it to wear out and I have to go through the process again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom