Help removing front locking hubs (getting to wheel bearings). (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1986 BJ74
Warn manual locking front hubs

all the videos I've seen of these show a snap ring inside the cap of the warn hub. Mine does not appear to have one. It also has this 13mm bolt in the axel that appears to be covering a cap of some sort. I can't turn the bolt loose as turning the bolt causes the entire axle to turn.

am I missing something obvious?

IMG_4212.jpg

IMG_4211.jpg

Have not seen a bolt before on any hub. Jam a flat blade screw driver between axle spline and hub spline and see if you can zip the bolt out. An impact loosens things with much less “turn” from a breaker bar or ratchet. Typically bolt hole is used to pull shaft out to place a snap ring.

This bolt with washer is probably used in place of the snap ring?
Do you have a locker on your front diff?

Have not seen a bolt before on any hub. Jam a flat blade screw driver between axle spline and hub spline and see if you can zip the bolt out. An impact loosens things with much less “turn” from a breaker bar or ratchet. Typically bolt hole is used to pull shaft out to place a snap ring.
Thanks for the suggestions. Worked like a charm. Just opened the other side and its the same deal, so it seems to be designed that way instead of using a snap ring.
Now I hav my caliper mounting bolts soaking in PB blaster and will tackle that next!
thanks again.

Of course, after spending all day yesterday trying to find an example of my hub with the bolt instead of a snap ring and failing, I post here, get the right advice, and then IMMEDIATELY come across this video:

same set up.

Of course, after spending all day yesterday trying to find an example of my hub with the bolt instead of a snap ring and failing, I post here, get the right advice, and then IMMEDIATELY come across this video:

same set up.

I'm pretty familiar with the older toyota solid axle pickups and 4runners. we used to call it the golden bolt. it's on the parts diagram.

the first gen taco also had a manual locking hub option that used a snap ring and a golden bolt.

golden bolt

but there should be a snap ring for sure IMO. is there a slot in the axle for a snapring? now that you have that bolt off?

Last edited:
I'm pretty familiar with the older toyota solid axle pickups and 4runners. we used to call it the golden bolt. it's on the parts diagram.

the first gen taco also had a manual locking hub option that used a snap ring and a golden bolt.

golden bolt

but there should be a snap ring for sure IMO. is there a slot in the axle for a snapring? now that you have that bolt off?
Learned something new today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom