Help needed on wiring 22R igniter in my ‘79 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just picked up a ‘79, not running due to a bad igniter. This truck has a 22R under the hood using a 20R dizzy and 20R igniter. I’m going to swap in a 22R dizzy and 22R igniter but I’m TERRIBLE at wiring and having trouble finding any info on which wires to utilize from the harness on the truck to the new 22R igniter. Been searching but coming up mostly blank. Anyone have any input? Thanks in advance and here she is in all her beauty!

1F8F7F17-4DE3-438B-A0D7-A09F6C0ABB13.jpeg

26D1BA24-08B2-4DBF-A4CC-E69C13B06B79.jpeg

The ignitor gets the two wires from the dizzy and two wires as power and ground.

Again, please don't work on wiring without proper diagrams.

The ignitor gets the two wires from the dizzy and two wires as power and ground.

Again, please don't work on wiring without proper diagrams.
Thanks for the input, I’ll continue looking for diagrams and I can assure you I have no plans whatsoever of going into this without good diagrams and knowledge.

The 20R system in your truck should run the motor just fine. My wife’s truck is a 1980 we put in a 22R and kept the ignition from the 20R. Check fuses and fusible links also.

See if this helps. Sorry it scanned upside down. This is from a Haynes 79-95 Pick-up/4Runner manual.

Attachments

• Ignitor.pdf
    677.8 KB · Views: 156
I'll also check my FSM when I get home to see if I have anything on this.

Thanks for all the input guys!

The 20R system in your truck should run the motor just fine. My wife’s truck is a 1980 we put in a 22R and kept the ignition from the 20R. Check fuses and fusible links also.

You are correct and it did until the 20R igniter went bad. I cannot find one locally and really don’t want to drop $150 on a 40 year old one from eBay.

I did find a spare 22R igniter in the cab of the truck, and I could find a 22R dizzy locally for a reasonable amount. So my plan now is to put the 22R dizzy in and use the 22R igniter and coil I found in the truck.

Would have been nice to have just been able to find the 20R igniter. Would have been a easy fix to get it up and running again.

@pappy thanks for the diagram! I will be studying up on it.

Little more back story on this truck. I spotted it close to 7 years ago in the backyard of vacant rundown house. I would look at it every time I drove by. I tried to call the owner of the property and never could get a hold of them and then one day some people had moved into the dilapidated house and the truck was gone. My heart was broke and the thought of it being scrapped made me sick. A couple weeks go by and I get a call from a friend of mine that runs a small shop mainly working on Toyota’s saying he has the truck in his shop but the owner didn’t really want to spend too much money on it. Turns out the PO took the truck to a guy that used to live in the rundown house to fix it and the guy never did and eventually moved out. When the new renters moved into the house they illegally sold it to guy for $100. The PO found out about it and tracked it down and had to get the law involved to get his truck back. He then took it to my friends shop but after sitting for 7 years it had deteriorated to the point he didn’t want to put any real money back into it. So here I am with it, after watching it and wanting it for years. It actually worked out well because the PO was really just looking to unload it by this point and financially for me that was perfect with 2 young kids and a stay at home wife on my laborers salary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom