Help needed; 2H issues and puzzles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Indestructible 47

SILVER Star
Threads
well, i started this thread because my 2h runs very smokey and has a couple of other issues as well, so i thought that i could acquire some help from those great minds out there. to start with, it's only got 178,000 gen km/s on the clock and had it's last service in 2/05 - 10 years ago. the guy then put 2000 km/s on it before it sat under a tree in the 47 for the next 9 years - till i got the 47 and gave it a service changing oil and fuel filters and sticking some Gulf Western oil in her. as i said, iv'e got many issues so i'll try to take one issue, at a time so here goes.

to start with i have this weird sensor which i have highlighted in the picture. i have also highlighted a cable that is thick and seems to be the exact right length to the sensor. i thought it was something to do with the glow plugs, but they work perfectly without it. so i checked if it was an earth and if it had power to it; it didn't; although i couldn't probably get a good connection due to the grime on the end of it. so i am stumped. anyone have any bright ideas? all my gauges work...

thanks for the help in advance

cruiser sensor.png

The Gulf Western oil should should be drained and discarded straight away we had big problems with two series 60 Detroit engines and a FH420 volvo engine. All these engines started to burn oil huge amounts of oil after the first few services so stay clear of this oil.

The Gulf Western oil should should be drained and discarded straight away we had big problems with two series 60 Detroit engines and a FH420 volvo engine. All these engines started to burn oil huge amounts of oil after the first few services so stay clear of this oil.
that's interesting, i was recommended this oil. though it does seem to burn a lot of oil since i changed it. but before that i tried some semi-synthetic stuff, i reckon that it was just as bad. what do you recommend? could make a big difference.

If all your gauges work, then my best guess is the coolant temp sensor for the glow plug timer.
Or maybe the oil pressure switch that cuts off the engine in the event of a sudden oil pressure drop.

cruiser sensor.png

Looks to me like your PO has modified your preheat to make the original busbar feed and temperature sensor both redundant.

:beer:

Right on the spot Lostmarbles .. altho I would check if how it's that new " feed " working on that .. since it could get pretty hot depending on wire AWG and quality ..

Aha! So that's why there's that black switch on the dash @Indestructible 47 - the PO has been meddling once again...

Castrol RX super would be my pick but no s*** my mate also had to rebuild his Hilux 2.8 diesel after running gulf western oil and it wasn't long since it had a rebuild.
I would not put it in my lawn mower.

Last edited:
Castrol RX super would be my pick but no s*** my mate also had to rebuild his Hilux 2.8 diesel after running gulf western oil and it wasn't long since it had a rebuild.
No s*** I would not put it in my lawn mower.
thanks for that, i'll give it a shot.

I would consider going back to original pre warm. I just redid mine after a doggy repair about 15yrs ago. It finally got so hot the copper bar I used was red hot. I have been using rimula x for about 30 yrs in my 2H sill going strong.

man, that Castrol RX Super makes a difference. instead of jumping and shaking on a cold start up, it now starts like it was warm with glow! now it doesn't blow smoke and the exhaust smells of burnt diesel not burning oil. only down side to this was that the radiator karked itself so i will get a brass one or something like that. oh and the filter light came on.

What's the exact Gulf Western oil you were using?

I've just briefly searched and read a few reviews on Gulf Western oil and found none that are negative...

I think there's a lot of tripe written about particular oils being better than others (so I just use Valvoline diesel extra 15W/40) and I'm surprised you're experiencing significant performance differences between products unless there is a major/basic difference between them such "fully synthetic" versus "mineral" (ie. nothing to do with the brand).

:beer:

Happy it worked indestructible 47
Tom not sure but we still have a 44 gallon drum at work that's been waiting for gulf western to pick up. I will get the exact name and numbers from the drum on Monday.

I use gulf western top dog XDO 15w40 in everything bobcats trucks landcruiser excavators never had a problem I like it better then delo 400 when I had my 12ht I tried delo and went back to top dog 2500Kms later ran a lot smoother

Semi sinthetic oil that top dog XDO is mineral oil

so a little update... i installed a new radiator which i'm glad i did. i reckon it runs better but still is a little smokey. i also posted a picture of the wiring after I've nearly tidied it all up; much better. also one bolt in the thermostat housing broke but luckily it was only the head of the bolt so there is still bolt in both sides of the thread.

DSC00918.JPG

DSC00901.JPG

DSC00921.JPG

bump, I've finally been putting some km's on her. runs good. however, she still burns a lot of oil on start up, clouds of it in fact. it starts first plop, with plenty of glow. it also runs like I've run it out of fuel for the first 15 seconds as well, badly lumpy. then it clears up and she purrs. it could be the fact that it was 5 degrees out side tonight but she got plenty of glow. also this problem disappears the less oil in the engine. funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom