Help...need an emgine wiring guru, oh and i hate commies :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
first, thanks for looking, that means you hate commies too :D
what i have is a 97 vortec 4.3/4L60E/np233 out of an S-10.
Now i have the drivetrain yanked and im going through the S-10 and disconnecting all the wires and trying to get the harness out of the truck. Im having trouble on the drivers side firewall and all the wiring thats in the dash. DO I NEED ANY OF THIS OR CAN I START CUTTING STUFF??????
I just need to get the wires that pertain to the engine, ill buy a fargin ez wiring harness for the rest but i need help. I can post pics if any one needs them.

Any help, or advice gets you point to earning your self on my fruit cake list for Christmas, and by fruit cake i mean beer.

:beer::beer::beer:

first, thanks for looking, that means you hate commies too :D
what i have is a 97 vortec 4.3/4L60E/np233 out of an S-10.
Now i have the drivetrain yanked and im going through the S-10 and disconnecting all the wires and trying to get the harness out of the truck. Im having trouble on the drivers side firewall and all the wiring thats in the dash. DO I NEED ANY OF THIS OR CAN I START CUTTING STUFF??????
I just need to get the wires that pertain to the engine, ill buy a fargin ez wiring harness for the rest but i need help. I can post pics if any one needs them.

Any help, or advice gets you point to earning your self on my fruit cake list for Christmas, and by fruit cake i mean beer.

:beer::beer::beer:

umm, your title makes me think you're some kind of beer
:flipoff2:

yeah, i have fat fingers. :D

schematic

if it were me I would go get a schematic then you would know for sure,

where from, and i have no idea if a schematic would do me any good because im like the forrest gump of the wiring world

schematic

You could search on-line someone may have posted one or buy a manual for the s-10 it came from. try googling your eng plus conversion or swap---lots of sites out there for eng swaps.

here is an example of an FJ40 schem I bought it on-line and downloaded it as a .pdf file

if you look at each wire it is color coded bl=blue, by =blue and yellow and so on the components are numbered and identified on the side of the page

this way you could id the key wires you need and cut out what you dont

If it were an older simple engine I could tell you what to hook up and where but newer engines are more complex and you might miss some control, sensor, or solenoid that is important.

if you learn the wiring you will also understand the way your engine operates a lot better

get a little cheap multimeter and read how to check ohms (or also called continuity) of wires that way you can tell if wires are common somewhere even if you can't see the whole wire

It's not hard but draw out the plan first, use the right size wire for the current draw, use quality tools for stripping and crimping. protect the wiring from chafing and heat. Use drip loops to keep water out of components. and clamp all the wiring securely. should look neat--if it looks ugly it probably is! You don't want wiring haunting you later.

It's not hard just logical, tedious, and methodical but worth doing well and no-one will care as much as you do!
schem.JPG

If you are going to buy a harness for the engine and tranny you won't need any of that wiring. Bud light is good:grinpimp::beer:

thanks b smith, ill try it your way

bud light is wonderful :)

Go to your local library. When I swapped in a steering column out of an 89 Jimmy (S-10) I went to the library and looked for a manual (no luck). The librarian knew of a web site where I found the wiring schematics I needed. Copied them and took them to Staples and had them laminate them. Makes a great and permanent resource for your reference library.

I second the library action. I comletely rewired a vehicle from diagrams found in the library. I believe at the time it was a large hard bound book from chilton. It covered a variety of vehicles made in the states. get yourself some good strippers (wire ones too) and a good soldering iron. Good Luck

well i just about have the whole harness out of the truck and now im schematic searching. Holy C$#p theres alot of wires and im starting to think the schematic isnt going to help my blonde a$$ but here goes......oh, and ill post pics of this disaster later tonight.

well i just about have the whole harness out of the truck and now im schematic searching. Holy C$#p theres alot of wires and im starting to think the schematic isnt going to help my blonde a$$ but here goes......oh, and ill post pics of this disaster later tonight.

Pay someone else to do it for you.

best idea yet, i guess if i sell my self on the corner for the next month and a half I should be able to afford to have someone else do it... but until i start getting some business, im on my own :D

some pics of the catastraphy that is the wiring

DSC01044-1.jpg

DSC01045.jpg

piece of cake

righto chap,

keep a stiff upper lip and give that wiring a right old hiding! Bully!
:cheers:

so many wires and so little time. were going through the wires with a test light and lots of beer......this should be interesting if nothing else.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom