Help me understand the appeal. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I personally look at the LC as more "status" than LX. The OG connoisseur discreet luxury status 😄

With regards to the brakes, it's all relative. I think they're fine, even on pre-16's. Then again, I run a 1200+hp street car on stock brakes and drove a '51 choptop Mercury that required two feet on the brake pedal and back fully against the seat.

Im not sure I would necessarily want bigger rotors or calipers on this platform considering it's use. That could potentially limit to larger sized wheels (19"+) which is a negative in my book.

Pics of the Lead Sled or get bent.

Pics of the Lead Sled or get bent.

Screenshot_20230208_140811_Messages.jpg

Its 25 years and this is exactly the untrue and quite obviously false trope that inspired me to write this post in the first place.
So, the auto industry writers are lying? Toyota is lying? You alone posess the truth? If it is false, prove it. Anybody can say something is not true. Do you know how many testing cycles LCs go through as compared to other vehicles? Do you know which vehicle has the highest percentage over 200K miles, by a wide margin?

No vehicle is perfect. All have their problems, even Toyota. Everything will eventually break, particularly if you fiddle with it long enough. In 50 years, I have yet to own a vehicle that I did not have some issues with. VW, BMW, several American brands - GM, AMC, Chrysler, 2 Jeeps - a CJ7 and a Grand Cherokee - both the biggest pieces of junk I had the displeasure of owning. '87 Nissan Pathfinder. Ain't never had a Ford. I had many issues with my '98 Range Rover. Almost as bad as my Grand Cherokee. It finally dropped a valve and I got rid of it. I had issues with my '04 V8 4Runner. I had issues with my '08 Tundra. I have issues with my Macan and GTI. That is life. I deal with it and don't have unreasonable expectations of perfection.

I got the LC because it suits my needs, despite its flaws and issues. BTW, the left front brake has squealed since day one and the truck pulls to the right despite three alignments. It has 23,000 mile on it. The wife complains that the steering feel is too heavy.

I have found that whenever I modify something from OEM, in most cases, I have more problems.

The horse is dead. Quit beating it. Get another horse and be happy.

Why spend $6k on a supercharger when you could just as easily spend that $6k on gears and lockers? For day to day driving would feel like a supercharger / go kart, and useful for running those larger tires, getting deeper into oh crap territory, and generally hooning around at speed limit compatible / legal speeds.

Do you know which vehicle has the highest percentage over 200K miles, by a wide margin?

Sheesh man, chill. Are you Toyoda family related?

And to answer your question depending on sample size and decade, overall, probably the honda accord. But im no auto journalist.
Maybe you can ask Doug Demuro what he thinks of my LX? (thats an inside joke for forum losers)

But yeah, ive seen the numbers.
My point was that yes, its mostly hype, not that all of it is untrue.
But put to put it simply, no.
You're just not beating on this for 25 years with oil changes, tires and brakes. Sorry.
You kind of made that point yourself though. It takes a lot of care and nothings perfect.

One thing you fail to comprehend though, is that this is a $90K toyota, $100K lexus.
The owners of these are a special crowd globally, and they take meticulous care of them.
The entire statistical premise you propose is compromised and flawed.

You think a corolla is getting cared for like people care for their LCs?
Thats not how research works.

After 6 years of AHC ownership, lots of seat time, and countless hours spent on this website, I feel very well informed. These trucks are made to be abused for 20 years or 250k miles, in a 3rd world country. While I don’t live in a 3rd world country, I have witnessed how these trucks hold up over time. Nothing, at any price, compares… except a 70, and we don’t get those.
Well technically speaking, per Toyota head engineer…….LC200 is a stronger platform than 70….:)

Majority of Landcruiser, lx,sequoia and tundra owners are just doing oil changes, brakes, tires, air filters and maybe a cabin filter when there truck starts to smell lol

Well technically speaking, per Toyota head engineer…….LC200 is a stronger platform than 70….:)

And 300, "based around 80", is 20% more stronger than 200. They say a lot of things.

Majority of Landcruiser, lx,sequoia and tundra owners are just doing oil changes, brakes, tires, air filters and maybe a cabin filter when there truck starts to smell lol

And never leave pavement, tow, or haul. And the majority of corolla and accord owners dont even do regular oil changes.

And 300, "based around 80", is 20% more stronger than 200. They say a lot of things.

And never leave pavement, tow, or haul. And the majority of corolla and accord owners dont even do regular oil changes.
I believe the 20% stat is the frame. The engineer that spoke was about the platform (frame, gearing, transfer case, etc).

From reading your past posts, your main beef is AHC. That’s why i don’t own one with AHC. :)

I believe the 20% stat is the frame. The engineer that spoke was about the platform (frame, gearing, transfer case, etc).

From reading your past posts, your main beef is AHC. That’s why i don’t own one with AHC. :)

Yeah, and i forgot if they said strong, or rigid or what catch words they used.

So otherwise 300 is equivalent to 200 in other areas of robustness aside from the frame?

I dont listen to any of that talk anymore though. Once i realized where all the "weight savings" came from on the 300, i was out.

Yeah, and i forgot if they said strong, or rigid or what catch words they used.

So otherwise 300 is equivalent to 200 in other areas of robustness aside from the frame?

I dont listen to any of that talk anymore though. Once i realized where all the "weight savings" came from on the 300, i was out.
Yeah, it was rigidity i believe in the frame…20%.

From reading others folks here who have in-depth experience with the 300, it seems like parts got thinner and/or aluminumized for weight savings and may not be good for solidity/durability.

Yeah, it was rigidity i believe in the frame…20%.

From reading others folks here who have in-depth experience with the 300, it seems like parts got thinner and/or aluminumized for weight savings and may not be good for solidity/durability.

Dude, dont get me started, or well get MadMal back...

The entire marketing release for the 300 was a gigantic pile of BS lies.
In our 200, we have aluminum hoods, in the 300 every panel is aluminum, the spindles as well, and the skids are plastic.
And the gas tank shrunk and they removed the tailgate. The fact that they only managed to drop 400lbs is a joke.

There was absolutely no real engineering done to reduce any weight whatsoever. And the price increased....
Slap in the face. Salt in the eyes.

Yep but you can always tell if the oil changes were done since it’s so easy to look down in the engine from the oil fill.

I dream of having a full scale image of the bottom of my truck fastened to my bedroom ceiling. I contemplated doing it while I was single, but didn't get it done. 35+ years as a mechanical engineer in mostly automotive, and much of my time off under cars or trucks, my happy place. Turned wrenches on cars and machinery for a lot longer. Last night I dreamed about an industrial laundromat with a big central motor under the floor powering all the washers and dryers, through drive shafts and big open spiral bevel gears, grease hanging off them, it was weirdly beautiful. I woke up happy and folded the clothes I left in the dryer.

I'm particular about who's opinion I trust or even value when it comes to quality of automobiles. Mine, mostly. I've designed and built and maintained a lot of machinery, seen a lot of failures, I know what works and what doesn't a bit better than the average engineer.

Most mass-produced products today have been reduced by bean-counter-cubicle-dwelling-soul-sucking-bureaucrats, to the minimum-viable-product. When I slide under my (former) 80, my 100, or my 200, I leave that world, and return to the world where engineers and gearheads have a say in how things are done. My 4Runner is a quality vehicle, but the LC is the Mack-Daddy of over-the-top extra quality and beef.

The Land Cruiser is the most rugged and durable mass-produced passenger vehicle. My opinion, but that is the most important one to me. It still has weaknesses I've had to deal with, but they are more nuisances than giant flaws that reduce the durability and value of the vehicle.

You pointed out a bunch of things that can and do go wrong with all vehicles, including Land Cruisers. But not as often. I've been on this forum for quite a while, and the predecessor forum. Also contribute to a couple Subaru forums; Audi; BMW; Ford; boat forums; airplane forums. The apparent rate of failure on every forum is mostly personality driven, by the type of person who joins and participates in any given forum.

Long ago Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers, hosts of NPR's Car Talk, voted the Land Cruiser as Vehicle I'd Most Want To Be In If Martians Attacked the Earth. They were right, it is the common vehicle most likely to survive, and well-worth the extra cost of entry.

Sheesh man, chill. Are you Toyoda family related?

And to answer your question depending on sample size and decade, overall, probably the honda accord. But im no auto journalist.
Maybe you can ask Doug Demuro what he thinks of my LX? (thats an inside joke for forum losers)

But yeah, ive seen the numbers.
My point was that yes, its mostly hype, not that all of it is untrue.
But put to put it simply, no.
You're just not beating on this for 25 years with oil changes, tires and brakes. Sorry.
You kind of made that point yourself though. It takes a lot of care and nothings perfect.

One thing you fail to comprehend though, is that this is a $90K toyota, $100K lexus.
The owners of these are a special crowd globally, and they take meticulous care of them.
The entire statistical premise you propose is compromised and flawed.

You think a corolla is getting cared for like people care for their LCs?
Thats not how research works.
What ever. Obviously, you do not know the answer.

I am not going to do your homework for you nor do I intend to waste any more time mincing words.

As I said, the horse is dead. Keep beating if you wish.

For the others that are interested:

RankVehicle% of Cars Over 200k Miles
Longest-Lasting Cars, SUVs, and Trucks to Reach 200k Miles - iSeeCars Study
1Toyota Land Cruiser18.2%
2Toyota Sequoia14.2%
3Chevrolet Suburban6.6%

Oldie but good:

Other reading materials:

Another good video:

Replace the radiator proactively at around 80k, replace the starter proactively around 100k. change your fluids, and fill the tank every 300 or so miles if your stock or every 265 miles if your modded. Carplay? Put your phone a mount and stfu.

Go drive short distances or long distances in the US or any other country. Drive on roads, rainy, snowy, it doesn't matter. In fact, there doesn't even need to be road. Just drive it where you want.

Take some family and/or friends and some gear, there is room. On road it's quiet, off road it's solid and flexier than anything else comparable.

Do this for 20+ years.

There is nothing better. Quit complaining and get real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom