Help me identify this built (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a new member, with a vast experience in expeditions on foot but admittedly very little experience with 4WD built up. I hope that thsi

I recently purchased a highly modified 2011 Hi-Lux with a lot of LandCruiser parts in it. I currently live in Bali, Indonesia and I am planning to use this vehicle for the first section of an expedition in the highlands of the island of Sumba, which eventually will continue on horseback and finally on foot.
This car may be more than what I bargained for. I went to service it in an official Toyota workshop and they told me that most of the parts are straight from the LandCruiser. Originally this car was not even a 4x4 as there is no single cab 4x4 Hilux, and clutch, suspension, and many other parts are not original. The car has also absolutely huge tyres that I hope will help with the sharp rocks on the hills of Sumba, but make it for a fun ride in normal roads. I don’t think this would be legal in many places in the western world.

the car is going really well, and the Toyota workshop did not find any issue with it.
What I need help with is to identify the custom components of this built. Also I’d appreciate some tip on how to make this vehicle ready for my expedition. I don’t need comfort items too much, mostly functionality. And finally what spare parts should I carry and what to keep an eye on during this trip.
Thank you

Hilux photos

0C8C529D-15E9-4917-9C19-BD3835109F46.jpeg

626B1C3A-6023-4B72-8DC0-5EE284450B83.jpeg

81C7F7D8-17D5-4F20-96E4-FA8844DA985D.jpeg

C4FA8270-00E0-4F4F-9875-ACC23615E8CB.jpeg

Looks like a fun vehicle. You'll need to post photos of the engine bay and underneath the vehicle - axles, suspenstion, etc. to get answers to your questions.

Looks like 80 series front axle and suspension?

^ Agree with above.

Doesn't look like a Land Cruiser engine.

Tires are getting a few cracks. Probably not anything to be concerned about, though you may want to check the age from their numeric code. If you did replace, I'd size them down.

There are single cab 4x4 Hiluxes, what you don't have are solid front axle Hiluxes.

The engine is a 2TR-Fe 2.7L. Not found on Land Cruisers. It's the 4 cylinder Tacoma engine in the US. Looks stock aside from a throttle body spacer.

The front diff is most likely a an 80 series Land Cruiser diff. It's common to use it on N70 axle swaps. Shocks, shock towers and bracing are obviously custom.

The transmission and transfercase look stock? What pattern does the transfer case have on the shifter? J Pattern? Driveshafts look stock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom