Help me choose between Wildpeak A/T3W, Terra Grappler, KO2, and Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My KO2s were fresh when I ran them in the snow and they performed well though not any better than the grand trek Dunlops on it when I got it.

Another point to consider is the perspective of the owner. I came from luxury cars, this is my first truck so I’m happy with the KO2s. But when someone says “This tire (copper, Toto etc.) was smoother than the KO2” I pay attention and they’re probably right. Then I have to make an aesthetic decision. If I’m getting an AT and dealing with AT tradeoffs I love the looks of the KO2. Next time around for my HE I do plan on using them as intended so I’ll have some better data.

A lot of great info in this thread thanks @40Man for sharing

Edit: sorry to post off topic on the thread

LOL, he does think that. Many posts where he tells people to run a lower psi on the LX vs the LC, simply because the LX comes with 20 inch tires that a lower weight rating from the factory. :) I'm on a Zoom meeting and reading your post made me laugh out loud.

Just because you don't understand it, doesn't make it invalid.

HTH

But there is some validity to comparing apples to apples. You mentioned how your experience was horrible with KO2 on your brother’ LC100 i think...yet my (current) experience with KO2 is fantastic. Different tires. Different vehicle. Different load ratings. I think that all that matters quite a bit. I don’t know. But how can you and me have such different opinions?

I know you're well and able to read between the lines and illicit understanding beyond simple apples to apples. Your experience with KO2s is singular. Yet if they work well for you, then that's all you need to know.

I stand by my opinion having experienced them on a car that I know like the back of my hand with multiple sets of tires. I'm very particular with tires. Anecdotes, information, and other opinions support the relative characterizations. There's tires that better suit my personal requirements including priorities for NVH, dry handling, and solid cold and wet weather handling.

I know you're well and able to read between the lines and illicit understanding beyond simple apples to apples. Your experience with KO2s is singular. Yet if they work well for you, then that's all you need to know.

I stand by my opinion having experienced them on a car that I know like the back of my hand with multiple sets of tires. I'm very particular with tires. Anecdotes, information, and other opinions support the relative characterizations. There's tires that better suit my personal requirements including priorities for NVH, dry handling, and solid cold and wet weather handling.
My and your experiences are each singular experience. True. There are also many many happy KO2 owners on multitude of vehicles. I am sure that there is a minority of folks with issues.

And like you, i am also very particular about tires and do tons of research about them.

Late to the game but thought I would chime in, mainly because I just completed a 6k mile road trip that included many rain, snow and ice storms, lots of offroading in mud, clay, rock, and other terrain, and a fully loaded vehicle (possibly slightly over 😂) with 4 people and a dog.

I run KO2s and I have been thoroughly pleased with their performance. Three days ago I was driving in 5 degree F temps in a snowstorm at highway speeds and never felt unsure about my traction. I never worry too much about snow when temps are above 20, but I always get a little nervous when temps get very low. Even on icy mountain roads, I never experienced unexpected slip.

I know that others have had different experiences but I have been very impressed by KO2s. For full disclosure, I have absolutely no experience with any of the other options so I cannot comment.

And unlike @Madtiger and @TeCKis300, I generally don't do much tire research but instead depend on them for all of my tire insights 😂

Of this group the BFG KO2 gets my vote every single time. Best looks of the bunch, classic unmistakable design that aggressive yet docile at the same time, undisputed tread life winner, available in the most sizes, easy to find and kick a$$ sand performance. Now if you threw the Toyo R/T and Nitto Ridge Grappler into the bunch I'd have a hard time picking a winner amongst them and the KO2.

Last edited:
Of this group the BFG KO2 gets my vote every single time. Best looks of the bunch, classic unmistakable design that aggressive yet docile at the same time, undisputed tread life winner, available in the most sizes, easy to find and kick a$$ sand performance. Now if you threw the Toyo R/T and Nitto Ridge Grappler into the bunch I'd have a hard time picking a winner amongst them and the KO2.
I've said similar things on many threads regarding the KO2s. The KO2 are a great off-road tire, and the tread life is insane. We sold ours with 30k miles and they looked new. And with the recent large increase in the pricing of the Falkens, the price is about the same as KO2s (my current Falkens were $140 a piece in 2016, they are now $240!).

If I didn't live and drive in a icy snow region, the KO2s would be an excellent option based strength and treadlife. There was also a post on here that Falken changed their rubber formula which may not be as good in winter. Not sure if that is true or not, I've driven my FJ62 a lot this winter on new Falkens and they have done great, but the winter in the PNW has been rather mild so far.

That undisputed tread life of the KO2 comes with a trade off. Tires that use a softer rubber compound provide better grip on snowy surfaces as the rubber does not harden as much in cold weather. This is where Goodyear did an amazing job with the Duratracs, and why plow drivers have relied on Duractracs for years, but it is also why they need lots of rotations or they get loud (softer tread is finicky, needs more rotations as the softer tread is more prone to wear from misalignment or lack of rotation).

Falken uses a similar rubber as the Duratracs, with a silicate that improves tread life and traction (at least in p-rated) while providing the benefits of a softer tread. Falken also puts deeper treads than most manufacturers to ensure similar life with their softer rubber. Still, at 40k+ miles on my set, you can see they have worn (acceptably imo) but my KO2s wore much slower. I'll take a measurement of my tread when I hunt down my depth gauge. I've also taken them off-road, and they have performed excellent.

The rubber in the KO2 by contrast, tends to harden more during cold weather and as a result, slide much more easily on slick surfaces like ice.

Snow traction is best with snow on snow contact, where siping and deep tread helps. The KO2 and Falken are both very good for this (for ATs). The Blizzaks and Hakkas, by contrast, have a lot more snow catching grooves to improve on road snow performance.

Dedicated winters like the Blizzak DM-VZ take this even further, with a super soft moisture absorbing tread (first 50% of its tread, which is the good tread, will be gone in 1 to 2 winters). But the winter performance is amazing.

It's a good reminder that all these modern tires are really great tires in the end. With no right or best answer. It's a great time with lots of awesome choices for the buyer.

Not to say they don't have differences which is why we like to have these threads that tease out the differences.

It would be worthwhile to note that tires have more technology than meets the eye. Just as cars, with each generation and version release, they up the ante in the art of the possible.

I agree that there are better winter tires out there than the KO2's, fortunately for me I live in Texas and it isn't much of a concern. I worry more about performance in rock, sand, thorns, dirt, etc. I was impressed with the snow and ice performance of my Nitto Ridge Grapplers the other day, a definite improvement in such conditions when compared to the KO2. I know Duratracs have their place but we've always called them Duracraps and it's one of the last tires I'd ever recommend, I despise them. Nothing is perfect and each tire has it's strong suit, you just have to find which suits you and your needs and terrain best.

I have the Cooper AT3 XLT's in LT285/75/17. They are silent and smooth on the road and show a little signs of wear, despite my crazy driving. I rotate them every 5,000 to 6,000 miles.
They have perfectly handled every inch of snow I've seen here in North Florida. ;)

I’m not going the 305/65/18 route just to get KO2s under there. I want to keep the Heritage wheels and love KO2s but want more sidewall than the 275/70/18. But going 20 mm wider than stock just to get 5.75 mm extra sidewall doesn’t compute for me. That extra width then diminishes visually the extra height anyway.

I’m going to go for 285/70/18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I thought I should share thought process as I left a glowing review of KO2s and was thinking of going the same size as you.

I’m not going the 305/65/18 route just to get KO2s under there. I want to keep the Heritage wheels and love KO2s but want more sidewall than the 275/70/18. But going 20 mm wider than stock just to get 5.75 mm extra sidewall doesn’t compute for me. That extra width then diminishes visually the extra height anyway.

I’m going to go for 285/70/18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I thought I should share thought process as I left a glowing review of KO2s and was thinking of going the same size as you.
Share pics when they’re mounted

Makes sense in your case. In my case, I want to minimize PSI.

Makes sense in your case. In my case, I want to minimize PSI.
True. The difference is 3 psi lower for the 305 so I understand. Cannot wait to see yours!

@04UZJ100 Will do once I take delivery!

I have the Cooper AT3 XLT's in LT285/75/17. They are silent and smooth on the road and show a little signs of wear, despite my crazy driving. I rotate them every 5,000 to 6,000 miles.
They have perfectly handled every inch of snow I've seen here in North Florida. ;)

Im surprised Cooper XLTs are so underrepresented among 200 series owners. I had the previous version on my last rig snd they were fantastic. I am considering them as replacements for my STT pro once they get more miles on them.

The original Discoverers where also Scott Brady’s pick for best AT tire back in 2014: Where the Rubber Meets the Road - Expedition Portal - https://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

Would love to see this level analysis done again. That test pre-dated the KO2, but also a whole new generation of ATs: Falken Wildpeak, General Grabber ATX, Toyo AT III, Yokohama’s new 3-ply sidewall ATs, and of course the updated Cooper XLT.

I think you’re a little ocd. Maybe you’ve admitted it, I can’t remember. How do you feel about rocks being stuck in your treads??

I think you’re a little ocd. Maybe you’ve admitted it, I can’t remember. How do you feel about rocks being stuck in your treads??
That's what I hated about KO2's. They came from the factory on my raptor.
I would leave one of my project sites and would have to turn traction control off and light them up as soon as I hit pavement in order to clear them out. If I didn't, the rocks would start shooting out of the tread like BB's on the highway.

I had BFG T/A KO2s on my ex Wrangler Rubicon - no regrets, but I don't have much to compare with. As for the tread life, I'd say rotating tires periodically really helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom