Help! LC jerks/jolts and rpms drop slightly for sec (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 97 LC with 184000 miles (and a Japanese exchange engine with 40,0000 miles) just started jolting/jerking and the rpms drop by 200 and then go back to normal. Episode takes 1/2 a second but often repeats itself rapidly 3 or more times before driving normally. Has happened at all speeds, at first was most frequent going up hill. Mechanic replaced bad wires connected to the battery and tightened a loose bolt on the alternator, but problem not fixed. Any ideas?

You will need to supply some vehicle maintenance history to assist in the diagnosis. Have you check visually under the hood yet? What about a CEL?

Check the wire harness where it goes past the EGR pipe at the intake manifold. It's known to chafe/wear/burn through in that area.

Mechanic says he checked everything and thinks it may need a new alternator. Was able to reproduce the symptom today by going up a hill at 40mph and flooring it. Rpms go up to 3000 and just as they go over the car starts to jolt and the rpm needle bounces slightly. Doing this the jolting is continuous ( no recovery until I let off the gas) and speedometer only reaches 45. 1 new thing today, I turned a corner and went over a pot hole which jarred the car and it stalled. That's never happened before.

If the spark plug wires are old, replace them (OEM recommended). It can cause similar issues. Also, like ToolsRUs recommended, check the main wire harness on the firewall in the engine compartment, near the EGR, this is a common problem, and has similar symptoms. I can not think how the alternator would cause a problem like that...

EDIT: noticed in your last post, you said it had an issue when you went over a jarring pot hole, that really sounds like the wire harness...

Intake Hose...

Check your intake hose from air cleaner to manifold.....Mine had a crack and had a bad vacuum leak there....:crybaby: It was slit in the "Ribbed" area.

x2 on the rubber intake hose.
If it has a rip in it betwwen the ribs it could produce the same thing like the stall as well.
When mine was ripped it would stall when I made any type of left hand turn it was bizarre.
or the harness as others have said

Thank you everyone!

Changed spark plugs and wires, cap and rotor, and taped up a crack in the intake hose. She's running great! Thanks everyone!

x2 on the rubber intake hose.
If it has a rip in it betwwen the ribs it could produce the same thing like the stall as well.
When mine was ripped it would stall when I made any type of left hand turn it was bizarre.
or the harness as others have said
3x I had the same problem when I broke my intake hose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom