Help. Knock after ps pump swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. I have an engine knock after changing the ps pump. More like a fast click similar to a valve tick but it's down low on the engine. I read somewhere about a gearbox check valve. Is that an easy fix or check? Or how to check
Thanks

I assume you swapped the gear on the pump. Likely the gear was not seated fully. I measured mine with calipers prior to changing so I could set to the same depth. If not fully seated some will get this noise I believe.

Ok I torqued it down. No clue what measurements were distance wise. 54 ft lbs IIRC should I pull it back off and is there a way to see if it's not seated properly? It looked fine to me

Someone else may be able to give us a measurement. I did mine 1.5 yrs ago and have no depth clue. When I did mine I torqued it down but I remember it sitting a fair distance out from where it should be when measuring old vs new with calipers. I had to remove and redo making sure to get to the correct depth. There have been several threads noting ticking after ps pump being due to this. Hopefully someone can give a idea on gear to housing gap. Sorry I can't help more.

I'll pull it back out tomorrow and see. Can anyone chime in as to the correct depth?

You most likely damaged a tooth on the gear. It doesn't take much at all, you may not even notice where its damaged, but a small nick on a tooth will make noise.

Damn hope not. Gear ain't cheap
I saw a thread where it might not be seated properly. Anyone have pics as to the key sitting properly?

Ok gear and all is fine. What's the correct measurement. Anyone?

Sweet. Can you specify or show me a photo. Supposedly this has to be exact or the pump clicks when installed. As for the key is there anything special?

Yea I was thinking that. Pretty funky from the original pump puking its contents all over. Figured I'd make a mess anyway so I wiped it down a tad applied some safety glasses and went to it. So what hard hat and a flashlight and look down in there where the gear goes?

Just my experience working on cruisers , I have never measured any distance when doing the pump. I hold the gear with leather glove then zip the bolt off with impact, then swap the gear and zip it back on with impact, if you vise griped or held the gear with oilers or something you prob just nicked a tooth and that is your noise. Run it long enough and it will go away or buy new gear

Just my experience working on cruisers , I have never measured any distance when doing the pump. I hold the gear with leather glove then zip the bolt off with impact, then swap the gear and zip it back on with impact, if you vise griped or held the gear with oilers or something you prob just nicked a tooth and that is your noise. Run it long enough and it will go away or buy new gear
That gear is a shaft that connects the pump with the engine? I'm pretty sure is the PS, when I moved the tires the noise go away, check this out

That gear is a shaft that connects the pump with the engine? I'm pretty sure is the PS, when I moved the tires the noise go away, check this out

Yes the gear is on a shaft that ties into the engine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom