Help just installed Xfer case, No high range (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I have a 74 fj40, with the350 V8, when i got it it didnt run due to a blown up transfer case, I aquired one from a 73 fj55 from a 3 speed. i just finished installing it last night behind a 4 speed tranny. I fill it with gear oil and am ready for the test drive. Bad news I am only getting low range, i can switch from 2lo to 4lo and it also feels like it engages into high range but when i let off the clutch it feels like its in neutral it dont go anywhere. The only way it moves is in Low range so i drove it around the block and it shifts through all the transmission gears fine 1-4 and reverse. If anyone knows please let me know if i forgot something, i really hope i dont have to pull the whole thing, but if i have to i have to.

Thanks.

Manually shift if into high, get under and move it, sounds like its not all the way engaged or the shifter linkage is not adjusted right. might have to rock the vehicle just a little to get it in. BE careful if in net it will roll away.

low
net
high

they are just over about 1/3 of a rotation at the transfercase.

If you had the top cover off, maybe you didn't get the shift lever engaged in the fork. If so you have to reinstall it properly.

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah last night i crawled under it and manually shifted the arm, it seems to go into all three positions with no problem at all, i get the click in all 3, but for some reason Hi range acts just like neutral, i didnt mess with any of the shift linkage internally , but the case is used, so who knows. all i did was pull the Pto gear because the spline count was different and i replaced this with the spacers, i replaced the bearing and and the gear .
I may pull the access cover tonight and the top plate of the case, is there anything i should be looking for?

in reply to pinhead.
I didnt remove the top cover but the case was used, so anything is possible. If i remove the top plat will i be able to rectify the problem or will i have to pull the case if the fork is not on correctly?

I believe the fork is attached to the top cover, so you can fix it if that is the prob. Can also see inside the case from there

You should be able to fix it by pulling the top plate. Pull the plate, and then manually slide the fork into high, neutral, and low. Make sure that it has full range of motion. Then when you put the plate back on, make sure that the shifter finger is in the groove of the fork. If that doesn't work, then maybe your shifter linkage needs a little tweak to fully shift the case. Hope that helps.
Zipp.

Thanks guys.
I have some hope now.

The ONLY time I have seen your scenario (lever actually clicks in all 3 positions, but does not engage Hi, or Hi pops out) the Hi-Lo sleeve and fork were both dramatically worn.

When you have the top cover off, shift the fork into neutral, reach in and move the sleeve back and forth and tell us how far back and forth it moves. A good one moves less than a 32nd of an inch. Also take the opportunity to look at the small teeth on the hi speed gear and compare them to the teeth on the lo speed gear.

Mark

www.marksoffroad.net

If you have an old AA crossmember it can push the detent shaft into the case causing misalignment. The later crossmembers have a relief to clear the end of the shaft.

hammerhead said:
If you have an old AA crossmember it can push the detent shaft into the case causing misalignment. The later crossmembers have a relief to clear the end of the shaft.

I thought of that possibility. But then I thought that if it pushed the shaft forward, that would tend to bias it into Hi Range and make it harder to reach low range. Oui?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom