Driver high beam help (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
79 Canadian BJ 42 imported to USA with 3B engine (dual batteries) installed. PO did a PAINLESS 24 to 12 conversion. The problem is that the driver’s high beam does not glow. Continuity on the bulb is good on both filaments. Voltage at the headlamp connector is near zero on high beam setting. Is the relay on the PAINLESS fuse block for the headlights as opposed to the factory relay? Thanks in advance.
IMG_1086.jpeg
IMG_1080.jpeg
IMG_1089.jpeg

IMG_1078.jpeg

79 Canadian BJ 42 imported to USA with 3B engine (dual batteries) installed. PO did a PAINLESS 24 to 12 conversion. The problem is that the driver’s high beam does not glow. Continuity on the bulb is good on both filaments. Voltage at the headlamp connector is near zero on high beam setting. Is the relay on the PAINLESS fuse block for the headlights as opposed to the factory relay? Thanks in advance. View attachment 3537756View attachment 3537758View attachment 3537759

View attachment 3537760
If one side is working then I guess the relay is doing its job.
Sounds like the bulb is OK but try and switch them.
The wire connection between the headlights is probably not good - trace the joint between the two, and check the crimp connections and clean any connectors

If one side is working then I guess the relay is doing its job.
Sounds like the bulb is OK but try and switch them.
The wire connection between the headlights is probably not good - trace the joint between the two, and check the crimp connections and clean any connectors

I discovered that the drivers side high beam gets 12 bolts directly from the center tap via the headlight relay. Measured the voltage at the headlight connector and reads 8 volts. So maybe the relay is corroded internally on that connection? Both low beams and the passenger high beam are fine. Any thoughts?

You've got a connection but it's very weak. Maybe hanging on by one or two stands of copper in a connector somewhere.

The relay only has one pair of contacts for both headlights normally, so I'd be looking very carefully at the crimped connectors and any soldered joints.

Anything feeling warm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom