Help identifying a tool in locker job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would anyone be able to confirm whether it’s a bearing race driver that OTRAMM is using in his rear locker assembly video at 17:57 into this attached video?

I need to safely clamp my locker into the press to torque ring gear bolts, but he calls the item he’s using as a buffer so as not to damage the steel of the locker an “aluminum puck” and I want to be sure of what it is before I sacrifice a pair of bearing race drivers.

Yes.

The idea is to use a softer metal against the diff assembly which protects from marring the part. The aluminum bearing drivers are perfect as a nice flat surface that is made of a softer metal.

I’ve successfully used old bearing races for this in the past.

I’ve successfully used old bearing races for this in the past.

Maybe talking past each other but I'm not sure you want to use the bearing races themselves in this case? Bearing races tend to be heat treated and hardened. For the OPs use, he's talking about using a bear race driver that is made out of aluminum as a clamping pad. Akin to a vise jaw pad to protect the diff carrier.

Picture might help. Using a bearing race driver is also what I did in my install to clamp the diff in the press to help torque the ring gear bolts.

1704580756521.png

Maybe talking past each other but I'm not sure you want to use the bearing races themselves in this case? Bearing races tend to be heat treated and hardened. For the OPs use, he's talking about using a bear race driver that is made out of aluminum as a clamping pad. Akin to a vise jaw pad to protect the diff carrier.

Picture might help. Using a bearing race driver is also what I did in my install to clamp the diff in the press to help torque the ring gear bolts.

View attachment 3526587
Yeah, races, the old races I removed from the differential carrier actually. These line up perfectly with the new bearing races and transmit the force to them..

But now I realize that was a different type of press with an upper element that was large enough to bridge the bearing race.. in your picture it would just protrude down through that race and not help at all, on the top anyway.

I always just put the carrier in my large bench vise to torque the ring gear bolts. But I've never done a 200 diff so maybe that's not possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom