?--help/ideas for new set of seats for 60 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have an 86 60 series---i've read and noticed some of you have front seats from BMW or other rigs--I'm looking for leather, heated front seats and a matching back seat that folds down.
I'm thinking of possibly 4Runner or 80 series seats but haven't seen anyone do that here so guessing they don't fit in the back?---OR: are linked to computers so don't work on the older rigs?

Thank you for your input; been 13 years with lots of huge delays but 90% done now and want quality/warm seats so i enjoy the rough ride better and will be looking at trying to get this finished this winter/spring 2024.

Thanks again!!
LCDiesel60

I saw someone install an updated rear seat where they cut half of the wheel wells out and shortened them to fit the new bench. Don’t remember what they used though.

I deleted me rear seat. The original 60 series seat didn’t have 3 point belts or headrests. They are deadly in even fairly minor accidents.

I’ve seen someone use front seats from
a Toyota Matrix. Passenger seat folds flat. I want some to go with my full length sleeping/ drawer system. Perfect spot for the dog to sleep!

You can get whatever fronts you want, then have covers made by a company like lseat.com (?) to match the fronts with the rear. I was looking at going this route with 4th gen 4Runner front seats but then I used the CCOT covers on the original seats (with different foams) and added heated seat elements to the fronts.

You can get whatever fronts you want, then have covers made by a company like lseat.com (?) to match the fronts with the rear. I was looking at going this route with 4th gen 4Runner front seats but then I used the CCOT covers on the original seats (with different foams) and added heated seat elements to the fronts.
Thanks cps432
Yes, I agree, the factory rear seat is unsafe without headrest/3-point harness. As to carving out the fenders: not for me due to all the work I went to rebuild ours (rust) and larger tires-I live in snow country and salt so now all is sealed multiple coats (frame off restoration).
I have a 3-point system from a LX 460 that I’ve figured how to natal-have that rear seat too but I failed to plan carefully enough and it doesn’t fit the fender well curve.
I also want the back to be a sleep area as you are doing-but a small platform to match the rear seated folded….maybe I’m hoping for/expecting too much.

Thank you Skreddy—I’ve heard of those seat covers and heaters—came close to doing that but then doubted my ability to put it back together well…can do and figure a lot out but some finish work not so well-hence hired the rig getting painted.

On those 4th gen 4Runner seats-did you research if they require a computer or not?

I’m surprised how many electric seats require a factory plug system and have over a dozen wires-hoping for just a simple few wires for power to seat controls and power to seat heater….

I have a nice set of LX460 (1998) front seats but haven’t found the mini electrical female plugs to fit them yet-and then figure out what wire does what….

Getting there—the last 10% of a project is the hardest to be patient and thorough on when it’s taken so long.

Thanks all for your input—I welcome any other tips and thoughts.

Thanks cps432
Yes, I agree, the factory rear seat is unsafe without headrest/3-point harness. As to carving out the fenders: not for me due to all the work I went to rebuild ours (rust) and larger tires-I live in snow country and salt so now all is sealed multiple coats (frame off restoration).
I have a 3-point system from a LX 460 that I’ve figured how to natal-have that rear seat too but I failed to plan carefully enough and it doesn’t fit the fender well curve.
I also want the back to be a sleep area as you are doing-but a small platform to match the rear seated folded….maybe I’m hoping for/expecting too much.

Thank you Skreddy—I’ve heard of those seat covers and heaters—came close to doing that but then doubted my ability to put it back together well…can do and figure a lot out but some finish work not so well-hence hired the rig getting painted.

On those 4th gen 4Runner seats-did you research if they require a computer or not?

I’m surprised how many electric seats require a factory plug system and have over a dozen wires-hoping for just a simple few wires for power to seat controls and power to seat heater….

I have a nice set of LX460 (1998) front seats but haven’t found the mini electrical female plugs to fit them yet-and then figure out what wire does what….

Getting there—the last 10% of a project is the hardest to be patient and thorough on when it’s taken so long.

Thanks all for your input—I welcome any other tips and thoughts.
I was going to try and find a manual set of seats and just add the heaters. Seemed easier as I don’t need power seats.

I was going to try and find a manual set of seats and just add the heaters. Seemed easier as I don’t need power seats.
I hear you-I may need to as well due to the tech issues and selection—I was hoping to spoil my back, so we’ll see-no tech is always best hence the 60 series diesel….

Keep us updated maybe with photos on your progress—I’m just planning and acquiring for the next couple months-then will start to work on these last steps: ext trim, interior and armor-then it will be the daily driver.

@LCDiesel60 , this is probably too low tech for you, but i've found 2nd gen p.u. or 1st gen 4runner seats to work the best for me. they hug my @$$ like mother's arms when a wee lad n with the cloth i've never found them cold in the dead of winter up here in the great white north. 1st gen runner seats are slated to go into my 60. trust you'll find something that works as there is a myriad of seats to choose from.

@LCDiesel60 , this is probably too low tech for you, but i've found 2nd gen p.u. or 1st gen 4runner seats to work the best for me. they hug my @$$ like mother's arms when a wee lad n with the cloth i've never found them cold in the dead of winter up here in the great white north. 1st gen runner seats are slated to go into my 60. trust you'll find something that works as there is a myriad of seats to choose from.
Thanks Kircrsmirs for the ideas—used to live for awhile up your way—far north: lots of great memories and sites.

Question; do you know if that gen of rear seat; a) folds down and has headrests? B) will fit between the 60 series wheel wells?

Thanks for the input!

Thanks Kircrsmirs for the ideas—used to live for awhile up your way—far north: lots of great memories and sites.

Question; do you know if that gen of rear seat; a) folds down and has headrests? B) will fit between the 60 series wheel wells?

Thanks for the input!
i'll have take a look in the warchest re: headrest but widthwise they should fit betwix 60 fenderwells. n , yes, they do fold down. i'll let you know tomorrow evening re: headrests

JDM turbo seats fit every thing you are looking for except leather. I think mine have seat heater hookups.

JDM turbo seats fit every thing you are looking for except leather. I think mine have seat heater hookups.
Thank you Bottombracket—I’ve heard of the jJDM 60–but turbo I’ve only heard of on the HJ60 2HT (turbo)—is that the same thing you noted or something different?

Thank you!

I’ll shoot a picture tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom