help evaluating cost (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

This is going to be so vague so I understand that it is what it is. I'm a 40 guy dipping into the 80 realm.

I've ran across a So-cal 80, 1992, with 85k miles and babied. no rust and outstanding shape. I'm going to go test drive it and look under the hood. but, being if everything looks great, what's a good valuation on this? If it works out I promise to give more details and pics.. :)

I’d guess way more then 3500$ lol. I see absolutely beaten LC’s with 300k miles out here for about 3500$. So I’d guess 5-7k, hard to say without pics and if it is locked or not.

I’d guess way more then 3500$ lol. I see absolutely beaten LC’s with 300k miles out here for about 3500$. So I’d guess 5-7k, hard to say without pics and if it is locked or not.
Sorry if I am mistaken here, as I am just merely researching this right now. wasn't 93 the year the 80's started to be locked?

Yes, 3FE equipped 80's were not available with factory lockers.

Also you should run the VIN and make sure it really only has 85,000 miles.

Yes, 3FE equipped 80's were not available with factory lockers.

Also you should run the VIN and make sure it really only has 85,000 miles.
that's what I thought. so, will run the VIN check absolutely. Your thoughts on value?

that's what I thought. so, will run the VIN check absolutely. Your thoughts on value?
Price is subjective. I paid just under $9800 for my ‘97 4 years ago with 155k. The truck was pristine, all original, and had dealer service records for its first 100k. Mine is also a SoCal truck and I was shopping the San Diego/LA market (lived in SD at the time), which is higher than other parts of the country. At the end of the day, I don’t regret how much I paid for an 18 year old truck. And I have 40k into mine now o_O:eek:.

All that to say the price is how much you are willing to pay. Locality, condition, and desire dictate the price.

You cant get a price point by asking here on mud. This one is perfect example. 8 k difference in option and we haven't even started. Look over at the for sale section and it will be massively more than what you'll get as advice on here for how little you should pay. That being said, if it is a very nice clean no rust 85k mile rig then there isn't a what its worth price. You have to decide on a "what am i willing to pay " price. Under 100 is worth what someone is willing to pay. I personally don't care for early 80's but there is a group that love them

I would pay no more than 3k for an fj80. End of story.

What you would pay and what something is worth are two very different questions.

What you would pay and what something is worth are two very different questions.
Only 2 people matter to me in a transaction, me and the other party. To me it is worth 3k max. Dont ask a question if you dont want the answer.

Reactions: ppc
Only 2 people matter to me in a transaction, me and the other party. To me it is worth 3k max. Dont ask a question if you dont want the answer.
I'm actually appreciating all these reactions and questions. -unsure if your response to REKCUT was meant to be to me.
Some of these responses are dead on in my thoughts. I know there are groups out there that love the earlier models, and others that don't. Being that I'm really just researching the crap out of it, thought I would throw out the question. rEally in the end, like syou said, it's really up to the buyer and seller. Some people say more, others might say less. That's really what I am targeting. I enjoy hearing all this feedback, and I appreciate the responses. Thanks all.

"I'm a 40 guy dipping into the 80 realm"

If that means that you are new to 80s then you might as well take your time and get familiar with the differences between the different 80 series variants. Coming from a 40 background you may prefer the 91/92 version of the 80 or as you learn more you may prefer one of the FZJ80 versions that were available '93-'97 in the US. Some of the lower prices probably reflect the particular poster's strong preference for the FZ's, potentially for the later/ODB2 FZ's.

Although it all comes down to what an individual will pay for the thing, in terms of broad market values the ODB2 80s are going to be valued higher than the early FZ's which will be higher again than the '91/'92 FJ80s in the US. Beyond those generalities, rust, miles, lockers, location, service records, cosmetics, etc. can swing the price up or down substantially.

I say buy it ;)

Sorry, Didn't realize you were making an offer on the truck. I understood that @dirtywilks was looking for valuation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom