Used 3FE cost (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for a little direction on what a decent price would be for a used 3FE for my 1991 LC. I found one about an hour away that came out of a 1989 with about 160,000mi. Compression test looked good, engine appears complete . The guy is asking $3,500. Seems a little steep for a used engine but I could be completely off base here. Any help would be appreciated .

The one that came out of my totalled 91 is sitting in my buddies backyard. It was running strong when I totalled the rig a few years ago. I think he would sell it for $1200.00

And yes, $3,500 is ridiculous for a used 3fe.

The one that came out of my totalled 91 is sitting in my buddies backyard. It was running strong when I totalled the rig a few years ago. I think he would sell it for $1200.00

And yes, $3,500 is ridiculous for a used 3fe.
Where is he located if I went that route? I live in the northeast so im sure I’d have to figure out a shipper who would deal with something like that .

Where is he located if I went that route? I live in the northeast so im sure I’d have to figure out a shipper who would deal with something like that .
It's in Saint George utah

Someone recently asked me what a 2F was worth. My response was, "very little if you have one, a lot if you need one".

Looking for a little direction on what a decent price would be for a used 3FE for my 1991 LC. I found one about an hour away that came out of a 1989 with about 160,000mi. Compression test looked good, engine appears complete . The guy is asking $3,500. Seems a little steep for a used engine but I could be completely off base here. Any help would be appreciated .
You may want to confirm if a 1989 engine will be the same as the 1991. There may be a fair number of bits that must be transferred from one to the other.

How much would it cost to have your engine rebuilt by someone or at least machined and you do the rebuild? Can it be done for less than 3500? When was the $3500 engine last run? Where has it been stored? Was there oil placed in the cylinders prior to storage?

Lots of questions you may not have the answer to.

Not saying it's a bad deal, just that it may be a good deal or a bad deal.

Just do a v8 swap

Someone recently asked me what a 2F was worth. My response was, "very little if you have one, a lot if you need one".
Man ain't that the truth... and its always when you need one the prices go up and when you aren't looking you see them for $500

true that

Rebuild cost reference: The po of my '92 had pulled the engine for a rebuild (leaking/smoking/using oil) prior to my acquiring it. I pulled it apart and had the block/head/crank cleaned and evaluated at a local shop ($280). My parts list, along with machining labor (with me doing the assembly) looked like about $4,400. I then found a local engine/transmission for $1,000. (Note that parts list was not bargain based and included a cam...oem had rusted/pitted)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom