Help! Can't shift out of park!

Like the title says--I can't shift out of park! The button on the shifter won't press in. I'm guessing its the solenoid (or whatever it is) that allows the button to be pressed in when you press the brake pedal.

Anybody had this happen?

I have a '94 factory service manual, but am having a hard time figuring out where to start looking. Luckily it happened at my house, but I'm parked sideways in my driveway...

Can anyone point me in a direction?

Above the shift lever there is a small cover you need to pop off, under that cover is a button you need to press. Use a screwdriver or something similar.

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
SILVER Star
Is your tail or brake light fuse blown?

Do you have a burned out brake light?

Check those easy things before you get too worried.

Also, follow the instructions about releasing the shifter to get moving right now. Doc has it right.

You guys are awesome! Next question, how do I fix it? What was it that likely broke or quit working?

I moved the Cruiser to a better spot, but it still requires me to stick something down in there to get it out of park.

if your brake lights or turn signals are out just as previously posted could be the brake fuse
mine was shorting out b/c of the hitch plug making metal to metal contact on the hitch

search my post regarding this

Same thing here. Jumbled mess of wires for the hitch shorted out and blew the brake light fuse. Thanks for your help, everyone. It was such an easy fix.

OGBeno

www.olc4x4.com
GOLD Star
Unlike all of you, I had the shift-lock solenoid that was out--underneath the shift column.

Haven't gotten around to fixing it and it is a nice theft deterrant.

I use a carpenter's pencil in the manual override slot--no one has any idea what it is for.

:doh:

-onur
Corrales, NM

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO POSTS ON HERE! I just rewired my trailer and obviously screwed something up. Then, plugged it into my land Cruiser and POW...no blinkers, no shifting out of park. Thought is was the aftermarket keyless entry system/alarm and tried monkeying with that. No luck. Thought I was hosed, and headed to the dreaded shop/dealership to get raked over the coals. Then, turned to my trusted forum and found the answer!! I replaced both blinker/brake fuses and good to go. Now, I just need to figure out my sloppy rewiring on the trailer (I replaced a broken rear light--complete Autozone unit with 6-function including brake/turn signal. Thought it'd be an easy swap...something went wrong.) Anyways, THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE! This site and YotaTech for our 4Runner have been lifesavers!

Had this happen to me late last night in a deserted parking lot in the snow. Jammed the shift to drive to make it home to discover the brake/turn signals also out. By luck, checked the fuses and they were blown. Replaced them and the shift depressed, but this afternoon started to lock out again (without blown fuses) so I used the pencil go-around trick. I will bird dog the steering column solenoid, any observations on this process are appreciated. Thks.

flintknapper

SILVER Star
For future reference.

MOR1.jpg

MOR2.jpg

MOR3.jpg

Thanks for the pics. Still bird dogging the overall issue as the fuses keep blowing...so a pencil it is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom