Help a brother out. Facts, lies, and opinions 80 series vs. 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I think I have my Suburban sold and will be on the hunt for a cruiser or Lexus equivalent. It will not be a daily driver. Just a weekend toy to take to the coast, maybe a couple of offroad parks, and trail rides. I want something that starts easy, has an excellent A/C system, and good aftermarket support for upgrades after all I'm a garage guy that does his own stunts. The 40 and 60 series are cool and all but I want reliable, fuel injection, and highway speeds. So hit me with your opinions.

Anyone know this LC out of Houston?

Or this one?

Both 80s and 100s are great. 100s will be better for the highway and should be easy to find a reliable cream puff that will take you wherever you reasonably want to go For an adventure.

if you want to go rock crawling in a station wagon, an 80 With lockers can take you to some pretty unreasonable places, yet still provide some creature comforts

It depends on what you will actually end up doing with it.

If it will really stay a trail rig the 80 is hard to beat. Shockingly good on road for what it can do off-road, especially if it has lockers, all of the bugs have been worked out in the forums, etc. The engine is quite good but not as reliable as the 100, which has one of the most durable/reliable engines ever built. The 100 will be even better on road, definitely safer, better AC, and a bit more room. The limits for it aren't as high off road, but they are absolutely no slouch. Someone just took a group of 80s, a 100, and even a couple 200s through the rubicon a few weeks ago.

80s were quite cheap a number of years ago but prices have been trending up, especially for a clean one with lockers. Meanwhile 100 prices never really fell off a cliff.. the people owning them know they are rock solid and aren't in a hurry to ditch them, especially with fuel costs staying reasonable. Creampuff late-model 100 prices are in 200 territory, and as a 200 owner I can tell you you are getting a LOT more vehicle for your money, even if that 100 is pristine.

If you go LX470, be aware the adjustable suspension can be problematic.. though it is quite easy to delete that in favor of a traditional cruiser suspension.

I used to have an 80 with a vortec, and it was flat out amazing. Thing is, I realized I spend a ton of time on the road getting to the wheeling, often in colorado, and don't push super hard when I'm there.. so having such a built rig that compromised on-road performance so much didn't make sense.

For taking to the coast either would be awesome, but I'd give the nod to the 100. Those hours on the road will be much better, with more room and power, and it'll go anywhere an 80 would on the beach. For more local trails it'll do 95% of what the 80 would.

Ya'll aren't making this easy.

How much time have you spent crawling around or riding/driving in either one?

I am completely new the Toyota Landcruiser platform. I have an old Suburban at the moment that's my camping/trail/fishing rig. My wife does has a 5th Gen 4Runner. I lifted it and put 33's on it and its so much easier to drive than my old Suburban. Then I went on the Hill Country Loop ride with the Austin group a couple months ago and saw how easy and effortless it was for everyone that had Landcruisers and Lexus'. Made me want one.

I am completely new the Toyota Landcruiser platform. I have an old Suburban at the moment that's my camping/trail/fishing rig. My wife does has a 5th Gen 4Runner. I lifted it and put 33's on it and its so much easier to drive than my old Suburban. Then I went on the Hill Country Loop ride with the Austin group a couple months ago and saw how easy and effortless it was for everyone that had Landcruisers and Lexus'. Made me want one.

Yeah, I'm sorry I had to bail so early on that run, but I'll try to get out to another.

I'd recommend figuring out how to spend some time with one of each as part of your decision process. They are both landcruisers, and as such just ooze quality and capability, but the 80 and 100 really have different characters and while I won't say they are polarizing, you might find that one of them just speaks to you and the other doesn't.

I'd offer mine up for you to crawl over but it isn't in the generation you are looking at. Though I'm sure someone here could help.. with proper precautions given the current public health situation.

I'm newer owner to the platform (purchased in Nov) but have been around cruisers for 20+ years through my buddy. Like you, this was going to be an extra vehicle and specifically for camping, light trails and something to tinker with on the weekends.

He daily drives a triple locked 80. Drove it around a bunch and it felt like a solid truck that you could run serious trails if you wanted to. Road manners were ok...I would describe it as it's driving and you're just there to make sure it doesn't get lost or run someone off the road. I would not want to run it to Big Bend.

Being a guy who likes things a particular way and wanting some of the creature comforts, I decided to test drive a 100. Night and day difference. The 100 just has better road manners. It is smooth, comfortable and the idea of driving it to Colorado doesn't make my bad back cringe. It was pretty instant for me to know that's what I wanted.

I'm in South Austin. You're welcome to come up and poke around her a bit. She's running really well just bouncy as hell b/c I need to replace the springs after adding a bumper. Probably less than two hour job I just can't bring myself to sit in the garage in the heat right now.

I've got an LX450 (80 series) you're welcome to check out sometime. Not sure how soon you're wanting to make a move though. You could try to tag along on one of those dirt road drives and probably get some seat time in both. Or attend a cruiser meet when we have another one.

For me it was important to have another solid axle Toyota after been in both ifs and a solid axle pickup in the past. I love having the last example ever offered here in the States. I'm young (or dumb/stubborn) enough that the "worse" ride of the 80 is worth it. I would take it to big bend and back and plan to at some point.

Last edited:
The other thing to consider is the 80 is older so expect to spend more time and $ baselining it. They will run forever and go anywhere if triple locked, lots of ways you can go if want to build something up. Solid front axle is simply a better off-road platform than the 100's IFS. It's a heavy mother and under-powered so don't expect it to get up and go on the highway.

Hundy is newer and may need less work to baseline. They are trimmed out nicer than 80's and the V-8 gives it more get up and go, but it too is not overpowering due to weight. The late models have a better trans that will help highway driving. Still plenty capable off road.

I have one of each. The Hundy lives at a vacation home and sits on its ass most of the year, never fails to start and gets the job done when called on. Its a 99 and has the rear e-locker which is all I can imaging needing on that platform. The 80 was my parents rig from new, its triple locked and I had it shipped down last fall, been chipping away at PM work as well as building it up to tackle the terrain it was intended for. The 80 is a little slower and less polished than the hundred but still very comfortable and enjoyable to drive. I'd say they have slightly different personalities. Look for a clean unmolested example of either and go from there. You will probably have more shots at a 100 since the 80's are getting tougher to find.

Josh, I was behind you and your awesome Suburban on the first part of that run in my white '96 triple-locked 80. You're welcome to borrow it this weekend if you'd like to get a feel for one.

I am in S. Austin also in case you want to take mine out for a ride. It'll do my truck good since lately it sits in the driveway with little use.

Is this bad rust for the frame?
Lexus.jpg

Not a TX truck, or perhaps one that lived on the bay. Surface is OK, but looking at it I would totally inspect it quite throughly which really hard to do from these pics.

My advice is to hold out for a truly rust-free example. They are out there, and worth the wait. Even if the frame won’t fall apart you will deal with stuck bolts and things as you do work to it in the future.

I bought an 80 a month or so ago from Ft. Worth. It spent its first 8 years in Chicago, then came to Texas. The body seems great, but the drivetrain, axles and suspension are all rusty. These are the shifter mechanisms for the trans and transfer case. I need to disconnect them to pull the trans and txfr case out, but I've got to get through that rust first. This particular job is like working on a rusty ship in a bottle.
That frame doesn't look too bad to me, but you might see if you can get under there with a flashlight and look for this sort of rust.
1597425369127.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom