Help a brother out. Facts, lies, and opinions 80 series vs. 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think I found a clean 100 for you @JOSHD
4D6CDF28-765E-4CFD-A509-7767F832CBF1.jpeg
4A2E2265-0EE7-4149-A035-A609215C10CF.jpeg

This is what he wrote :
Asking 15k its a 99 with 160k miles timing belt and heater t and water pump has all been done. If that’s in his budget I can send a full spec list. Rear locking diff and absolutely zero rust

Has anyone here looked at this LX450?

Has anyone here looked at this LX450?

Saw that one the other day. Looks pretty clean. A little high in price imho. Might be able to talk him down a bit.

Saw that one the other day. Looks pretty clean. A little high in price imho. Might be able to talk him down a bit.
Did you see it in person? It looks pretty clean from the pictures and it’s amazing what a stack of crisp 100 dollar bills will buy when you fan them out and let sellers sniff them.

Did you see it in person? It looks pretty clean from the pictures and it’s amazing what a stack of crisp 100 dollar bills will buy when you fan them out and let sellers sniff them.

I didn't see it in person, no. That is very true.

That price is more in line with a triple locked example, if you ask me. I paid less than that for mine with less miles and a rear harrop locker last year. However I did find a couple of surprises (not the good kind) after buying it.

Not saying this is a bad deal though. Would need to see it in person to decide that.

it's been for sale for a while. I looked at it and passed on this east coaster. Steering pump was making all kinds of noise, but perhaps it was fixed.

I just bought my 2000 Hundy last week. It immediately exceeded my expectations. Very comfortable, smooth, awesome brakes. You won't win any drag races, but it cruises comfortably at 80mph. With OME springs and Tough Dog shocks, it is stable and not jolting at all. I drove it to AZ and back, helping my kids move. Pulled a Uhaul trailer back over the weekend, and absolutely no issues (I'll admit, with the heat and mountain passes, I was keeping a close eye on things).

I went through the same decision process over the last year, and I'm very pleased with the Hundred.

I will throw this out there, you might want to look at the GX470. I have a 2007 GX, 1999 100, and 2008 200. The GX is really nice on road and very capable off road. I prefer the GX around town to both cruisers and prefer it over the 100 on the highway. Only downside it doesn't have the character or coolness factor of the 100 series. Probably easier to find a GX in creampuff shape compared to a 100 and at a much lower price.

That swing-sideways tailgate is terrible though.. if not for that I'd recommend the GX to a lot more people.
Plus, it just isn't built to the same quality standard as a true landcruiser. But yes, nice, capable, great vehicles for the money.

I have a 92 with a 94 rear axle conversion (so discs in the back like 93-97). 3F engine.

Was my daily driver for 5 years, but I moved in to a lx450. Could be yours. AC blows cold, interior in nice shape. Have new seat foam (front row) and leather for it.

It’s not locked (has center diff lock, but they all did then), but you won’t need it.

I have a 92 with a 94 rear axle conversion (so discs in the back like 93-97). 3F engine.

Was my daily driver for 5 years, but I moved in to a lx450. Could be yours. AC blows cold, interior in nice shape. Have new seat foam (front row) and leather for it.

It’s not locked (has center diff lock, but they all did then), but you won’t need it.
How does the 3FE in the FJ80 compare to the 3FE in the FJ62? Curious.
Also, what was so different in the back axles on 92 vs. 94? Bigger brakes I'm assuming, was the axle different dimensions as well?

91-92 used drum brakes on the rear axle. Simms are the same. Bolts right in, but the 15” rims won’t clear the calipers in back. So I run a complete set of fzj80 (16”) rims.

some say the 3FE is more reliable. This one has > 250k on it and still runs strong. Same basic engine as found in the fj62.

the 1fz-fe in 93-97 seems to like to blow head gaskets. I didn’t believe it, but I had it happen twice on one truck (maybe repaired wrong the first time) and caught in time on a second engine i used in the fzj62 build. All before 180k miles.

Last edited:
3F or 3FE? Some 80s had the 3Fs still.

I let this get away from me.. the other rear axle difference between 91-92 & 93-97 is the latter is full-float, while the early one is semi-float. Not that many people have problems with the early axle, but the later one is easier to work on and if you break an axle shaft on a trail can still be driven out. Also factory lockers are available from 93-on

Head gaskets are a common issue but I think it’s a symptom of otherwise inadequate cooling. MANY of these have fan clutches that are worn out, when combined with a terrible water temp gauge and small grille opening leads to many many miles of low-grade overheating. Then you take an iron block that is this long and stick an aluminum head on it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom