Hello from N.C fla (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well call me a lurker, yes. I can only apologize, we all have done it,
Well We/I (his and hers) currently own 2-200 LC, but wait there's more. they are 2014/2018.
I currently picked up a 1993 HDJ81 RHD. it has 119000 miles on the clock, it is going to be used as a backup vehicle for the wife,
me I am retired.
she works for the usps. she currently uses a Jeep. jku rhd. it seems to need service more than I would like, and those service's sometimes are for days,(covid) if she is not moving no $$$$. so we bought a backup. A trusted vehicle.
Anyway. thought I would say hi. I don't rock crawl, we do the occasional trails in the area.
But I did have a question, (and you knew that. lol) I can perform most all the services needed. Does anyone know of a trusted local mechanic in the Gainesville and or surrounding area? you never know..
Thanks in advance, the 200's we put gas in them and regular services. and drive...
the 93 is a new bird here,
1993 land cruiser with 285.jpg

Well call me a lurker, yes. I can only apologize, we all have done it,
Well We/I (his and hers) currently own 2-200 LC, but wait there's more. they are 2014/2018.
I currently picked up a 1993 HDJ81 RHD. it has 119000 miles on the clock, it is going to be used as a backup vehicle for the wife,
me I am retired.
she works for the usps. she currently uses a Jeep. jku rhd. it seems to need service more than I would like, and those service's sometimes are for days,(covid) if she is not moving no $$$$. so we bought a backup. A trusted vehicle.
Anyway. thought I would say hi. I don't rock crawl, we do the occasional trails in the area.
But I did have a question, (and you knew that. lol) I can perform most all the services needed. Does anyone know of a trusted local mechanic in the Gainesville and or surrounding area? you never know..
Thanks in advance, the 200's we put gas in them and regular services. and drive...
the 93 is a new bird here,
View attachment 3045235
thanks

Nice backup! Don't know your area so can't help you with cruiser mechanics. There is a club section of the forum and you might find a cruiser club near you.

Nice backup! Don't know your area so can't help you with cruiser mechanics. There is a club section of the forum and you might find a cruiser club near you.
well thank you.
68 some views and 2 reply, i thought i said something wrong, i have looked at most all the faq section for how to's and such.
i just had shoulder surgery 2 days ago so wrenching or driving anytime soon is a no go.
just looking for some local 80's/ lC groups to compare notes with.
thanks again and you have a great 4th.
ps 'nice backup"?

Nope nothing wrong. The forum gets less chatty coming up to long weekends but will pickup next week as people settle down from festivities.

"Nice backup" = nice backup vehicle to the jeep.

Is there anything you know needs fixing on it already? If not then you probably have time before finding someone who knows cruisers to work on it. Typically after buying an old vehicle like these, there is some time and money put to base lining them. How that term is defined, really measures your level of neurosis.

Typically these things you want to focus on having the brakes in good shape and the cooling system. Brakes because they are not known for having the shortest stopping distances and cooling because the rubber hoses and the plastics (heater valves) are all degrading after 25 or so years of heat cycles.

Baselining after that is more just preference after that. It could include new leather or just changing all fluids and re greasing all the bearings etc.

Just so you know someone is going to give you the official hello in the form of the green middle finger and they will demand more pictures. So you should probably post pictures of the interior and engine bay at the least!

There are for sure land cruiser clubs in Florida and they will know who the experienced mechanics are. Just realize that many of the things that could go wrong, dont require a cruiser mechanic. But there are some items that you usually want a cruiser person doing the work on . . Headgaskets is an example.

Happy 4th!

well thank you.
68 some views and 2 reply, i thought i said something wrong, i have looked at most all the faq section for how to's and such.
i just had shoulder surgery 2 days ago so wrenching or driving anytime soon is a no go.
just looking for some local 80's/ lC groups to compare notes with.
thanks again and you have a great 4th.
ps 'nice backup"?
Where in North Florida?

just north of gville, (gator country) in lake butler
Our Cruiser club was fairly close to you last weekend in Jasper, FL. 😊

Go to the Diesel Tech section for a rundown of commonly done engine work. Some of the stuff may not apply to a a 1993 but earlier engines often had the Big end bearings replaced and injection pump heaters removed. You should find a mechanic who knows the ins and outs of the 1HD-T (or whatever) engines.

about an hour north of me.
Our club (Red Hills Land Cruiser Club) ran portions of the Alapaha River just east of Jasper.

Nope nothing wrong. The forum gets less chatty coming up to long weekends but will pickup next week as people settle down from festivities.

"Nice backup" = nice backup vehicle to the jeep.

Is there anything you know needs fixing on it already? If not then you probably have time before finding someone who knows cruisers to work on it. Typically after buying an old vehicle like these, there is some time and money put to base lining them. How that term is defined, really measures your level of neurosis.

Typically these things you want to focus on having the brakes in good shape and the cooling system. Brakes because they are not known for having the shortest stopping distances and cooling because the rubber hoses and the plastics (heater valves) are all degrading after 25 or so years of heat cycles.

Baselining after that is more just preference after that. It could include new leather or just changing all fluids and re greasing all the bearings etc.

Just so you know someone is going to give you the official hello in the form of the green middle finger and they will demand more pictures. So you should probably post pictures of the interior and engine bay at the least!

There are for sure land cruiser clubs in Florida and they will know who the experienced mechanics are. Just realize that many of the things that could go wrong, dont require a cruiser mechanic. But there are some items that you usually want a cruiser person doing the work on . . Headgaskets is an example.

Happy 4th!
i already did the oil/filter & fuel filter, and a few sanding and priming of a few areas of concern. replaced most of the little door seal barbs where needed. had to build a shelf for the wife's mail. and add strobes to the rear. replaced the 315's with 285's -17 to get it a nudge lower, looking at installing ome factory lift, it will or should lower it another inch or so, yea i know i am going the wrong way, (lower) but necessary. shoulder surgery got in the way of going any further, diffs and transfer case are next up. grease everything. and of course brakes. still looking for a local mechanic if needed.
i will try to get some pics loaded.
and typing alone is tough and with one hand its worse.
oh
backup to jeep. yes. no comparison. you could not slap the smile off the wife's face. "you can take it from my cold dead hand" lol

again thanks
and have a good 4th

Go to the Diesel Tech section for a rundown of commonly done engine work. Some of the stuff may not apply to a a 1993 but earlier engines often had the Big end bearings replaced and injection pump heaters removed. You should find a mechanic who knows the ins and outs of the 1HD-T (or whatever) engines.
thanks for the info, and its not from a lack of looking.
i will be checking that section next.
thanks again
have a great 4th

It's in the 60 series section for some reason.

Hi! Welcome! Let’s see those 200s for shîts n giggles. Have you seen this thread yet?

Hi! Welcome! Let’s see those 200s for shîts n giggles. Have you seen this thread yet?

no i don't think i have seen the thread, and thanks!!
as far as the 200's ok, your right i think a group photo is needed, lol i will see what i can put together.
oh i like your location "beyond"
most folks tell me i am beyond help. lol
thanks again

Very neat rig and really like the simple black color. Was RHD necessary due to postal duty? That's cool that she can use her own vehicle!

Very neat rig and really like the simple black color. Was RHD necessary due to postal duty? That's cool that she can use her own vehicle!
yes the rhd was necessary, and yes using your own vehicle is a double edge sword, you own it. you maintain it, but its yours. no sharing.. and yes she gets a premium to cover some expenses not all some. the jeep will be the sacrificial primary and the lc a backup, while the jeep is getting serviced,
as it has already been mentioned. i trust the lc, and its a helluva backup i think, a little over kill but its :cool:.
she worked as an office manager for many years, came home one day. said i am done!!
now its her the radio and the windshield. :bounce: a little more work, but sanity counts.
have a great 4th
i am in a sling i will be having a 5th:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom