Hello and Shift/Pressure Solenoid Error Codes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
In April, after years (over a decade!) of thinking about it, I pulled the trigger and purchased a new to me Series 200 Land Cruiser. She is a 2009 with 136,000 when I picked her up from a local dealership. She was really clean and according to the CarFax report, she spent most her days in Florida and Texas before coming to Cali.

After a couple trips, the Check Engine, Check VSC System, and 4 Lo light started blinking. I also noticed my fuel range went from 309 with a full tank to 274, at least that is what the computer says. I also noticed higher RPMs on the tachometer for about an hour on the drive back, and then it went back to normal. Got back to Cali ok and connected my code reader and saw:

1/5: P0766 Shift Solenoid 'D' Performance/Stuck Off
2/5: P0776 Pressure Control Solenoid 'B' Performance/Stuck Off
3/5: P0983 Shift Solenoid 'D' Control Circuit High
4/5: P2714 Pressure Control Solenoid 'D' Performance/Stuck Off
5/5: P2714 Pressure Control Solenoid 'D' Performance/Stuck Off

Appreciate any thoughts!

Looking forward to being involved in this community and helping out where I can.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Any transmission maintenance that you know of? If not, I’d do a fluid change first. And transfer case and differential oil changes too.

Welcome and nice trail pics. :)

Any transmission maintenance that you know of? If not, I’d do a fluid change first. And transfer case and differential oil changes too.

Welcome and nice trail pics. :)
Thanks! I don't see any transmission maintenance on the CarFax so will try this first. Appreciate the reply!

Thanks! I don't see any transmission maintenance on the CarFax so will try this first. Appreciate the reply!

If you enter your VIN on the Toyota Owner's Web Site (Owner's Site Click here), you should be able to pull up records for all service performed by Toyota dealers.

HTH

The random high RPMs sounds like your torque converter unlocking, which is mostly normal. Also, going to larger tires may cause the TC to unlock more often than stock size tires. Larger tires affect the overall gear ratio of the trans/differential math, making your gearing a little taller.

Did you clear the DTCs? I agree with doing a full fluid exchange and seeing if that clears it.

Thanks for the tip on the Toyota owners site, more detail than the CARFAX for Toyota service, so helpful. Also, appreciate the insight on the larger tires. What is strange is that on the way to Utah from Cali, no high RPMs (or indicator lights), it was only after I was in 4 Lo for a few days on the way back to Cali did the high RPMs start. So if it was the larger tires I would think I would have experienced symptoms on the way out to Utah, but I don't know... first time doing off road stuff. This is what makes me think being in 4 Lo for a few days caused some issues to surface when I went back to highway driving. I am going to go with a complete fluid exchange and start with that.

4lo uses a different gear in the transfer case, the transmission doesn’t know the difference.

On the highway you were in the 4hi gear on both freeway jaunts, nothing different for the transmission to see.

However, maybe you put some use on the transmission off-road (and driving a couple thousand miles), and the fluid in it went from marginal to no longer good.

Also, though a Round trip, the passes aren’t necessarily the same one way vs the other.

I’d recommend going ahead and baselining the fluids in the rear diff, the front diff, the transfer case, and the transmission. If you liked the off-road class, knowing your mechanical gear is in top shape is a prerequisite to getting out remote.

Has the fluid change resolved your issue? I'm experiencing a similar issue in my 2010 LX570 with 224k on the clock.

DTC P0766 shift solenoid d performance / stuck off
P0776 pressure control solenoid b perf/off
P2714 pressure control solenoid D perf/off codes are present.

For whatever its worth I also cleared the codes initially as well and they came back about 75 miles later.

I replied to the other thread here

Looks like the OP has a 2008. Check the attached doc and follow the troubleshooting but you may just have a bad solenoid which is not that expensive to fix, or at least that's what I read from the first 2 codes. I'm a little confused though because for the 6 speed the last 3 codes don't line up. It seems like the code reader is translating the codes from the 8 speed for your vehicle, perhaps?

On the 2008-2015 6 speed:

P0983 is shift solenoid D control circuit low, not circuit high.
P2714 is transmission component slipping, not pressure control solenoid D performance.

1653338665388.png

Whereas on the 2016+ 8-speed P2714 matches the description, but P0983 doesn't show up as a transmission code.
1653338727873.png

Attachments

• TIS - TOYOTA 2013 Land Cruiser Repair Manual (RM18X0U).pdf
    205.2 KB · Views: 63
Has the fluid change resolved your issue? I'm experiencing a similar issue in my 2010 LX570 with 224k on the clock.

DTC P0766 shift solenoid d performance / stuck off
P0776 pressure control solenoid b perf/off
P2714 pressure control solenoid D perf/off codes are present.

For whatever its worth I also cleared the codes initially as well and they came back about 75 miles later.

I have an appointment with my local Toyota dealership tomorrow (Tuesday) to run a complete diagnostic as my Check VSC, Check Engine, and blinking 4 lo started again. I wanted to start with that before doing the fluid change (rear diff, the front diff, transfer case, and the transmission) in case the solenoid(s) need to be inspected/replaced. This way, I won't have to pay for the fluid exchange twice (Toyota said they will not reuse the fluids even it they are new). Plus, in the Toyota service vehicle history I noticed that in December 2021 the previous owners declined to service an electrical issue with the fog lights staying on. While this is not an issue for me, I want to rule out an electrical issue too. Basically, I want a complete diagnostic--more than my code reader will give. I will keep the thread updated as I find out more. Thanks everyone for all of the help and advice so far.

I have an appointment with my local Toyota dealership tomorrow (Tuesday) to run a complete diagnostic as my Check VSC, Check Engine, and blinking 4 lo started again. I wanted to start with that before doing the fluid change (rear diff, the front diff, transfer case, and the transmission) in case the solenoid(s) need to be inspected/replaced. This way, I won't have to pay for the fluid exchange twice (Toyota said they will not reuse the fluids even it they are new). Plus, in the Toyota service vehicle history I noticed that in December 2021 the previous owners declined to service an electrical issue with the fog lights staying on. While this is not an issue for me, I want to rule out an electrical issue too. Basically, I want a complete diagnostic--more than my code reader will give. I will keep the thread updated as I find out more. Thanks everyone for all of the help and advice so far.
Let me know how that goes, the Lexus dealer was quite heavy handed, overcharged for the diagnostic (pretty certain they did not test solenoids) and hit me with a new tranny plus labor bill which is just exorbitant and won't be happening. Will be taking it to an indie tranny shop on Wednesday see what they tell me, they happen to work on a ton of tundras and sequias so they have plenty of experience with the tranny/motor setup of our rigs.

fog lights on is almost certainly a leak in the driver side. you should clear your sunroof drains as a preventative.

@707Cruiser and @landbruiser200, let me know if either of y'all want a copy of the FSM to do your own troubleshooting (or for your mechanic to use)

Let me know how that goes, the Lexus dealer was quite heavy handed, overcharged for the diagnostic (pretty certain they did not test solenoids) and hit me with a new tranny plus labor bill which is just exorbitant and won't be happening. Will be taking it to an indie tranny shop on Wednesday see what they tell me, they happen to work on a ton of tundras and sequias so they have plenty of experience with the tranny/motor setup of our rigs.
Well, it didn't go well. Took her to the local Toyota dealership today who took all day to do a complete diagnostic and test drive... they are recommending new transmission, ECU, and torque converter ($10K)! @linuxgod was right on the DTCs. Apparently, there is a TSB that says to replace the tranny for my model when these DTCs are shown, mainly due to ECU issues. See attached picture from paperwork.

What does everyone think? What would you do?

toyota.jpg

Last edited:
Your dealer is on to something, but they also aren't doing their complete due diligence. Why do I say that? "Suspecting an internal fault." Then proceeds to ring you up for an ECU which isn't part of the TSB. He also didn't state which ECU software version he found loaded (if he looked). Get another opinion. $10k for an educated guess is still $10k for a guess. Crap like this is why dealers are colloquially called "stealerships."

Furthermore, if you do end up needing a trans, I recommend you talk to an independent shop to see about having a salvage unit installed.

TSB text below for your reference if interested.

1653439673504.png

Last edited:
Your dealer is on to something, but they also aren't doing their complete due diligence. Why do I say that? "Suspecting an internal fault." Then proceeds to ring you up for an ECU which isn't part of the TSB. Get another opinion. $10k for an educated guess is still $10k for a guess.

Furthermore, if you do end up needing a trans, I recommend you talk to an independent shop to see about having a salvage unit installed.

TSB text below for your reference if interested.

View attachment 3017501
Thanks for the TSB text. That is super helpful. I am skeptical of dealer service centers, and I noticed the "suspecting..." text too. Interesting about the fluid levels on the TSB... many on this thread had recommended that I baseline these. When I asked the dealership about doing this today, or to open the tranny up for visual inspection (for shavings or signs of damage) they said *IF* there is damage to the tranny and the shavings fall out with the fluid, then it could make the tranny and car inoperable. I didn't really understand this but I didn't want to continue the conversation with the service adviser. They did say the tranny quoted in the $10K quote was a reman transmission. Will definitely get more opinions for sure from independent shops.

What is this about not shifting past 3rd? Did you see this behavior?

I didn’t drive it much since the symptoms started (it is not a daily commuter) but I just took it out and yeah, it is not shifting past 3rd in hard acceleration and has high RPMs on highway driving with gradual acceleration.

I didn’t drive it much since the symptoms started (it is not a daily commuter) but I just took it out and yeah, it is not shifting past 3rd in hard acceleration and has high RPMs on highway driving with gradual acceleration.
same here, its reving around 4k going 60 mph

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom