HEI issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New HEI distributor, new rebuilt factory carb from cruiser parts.com, new accel wires. It idles and revs up fine but when I start to drive it pops and will not drive smooth at all. I am at my wits end with this thing. Please help!

Can't time it without a timing light. When I make big changes I try to do one thing at a time, like changing the carb and get that dialed in before swapping the dizzy too. I'm not very smart so I can only handle so many variables at a time. :)
Try going back to your nominal settings or put the old distributor in and dial in the carb. Good luck.

Pat

Here's a pic of my DUI. Is the HEI set up the same?

image-97655030.jpg
image-97655030.jpg

It's similar. My 3 main wires come out of the dizzy and plug directly into the cap. I only had to run at switched 12+ to the batt connector on the cap. I am so confused with setting the initial timing. Do I get #1 at tdc and line the bb with the needle? I did that and the rotor it pointing at the #4 spark plug. I put the cap on and put the plug wires on in the correct firing order. It starts right up and idles and revs up great but with a lot of advancement on the dizzy. If I try and drive it pops and won't drive at all.

From what I remember you get it at TDC on the compression stroke with the rotor pointed at the #1 cylinder (on the distributor cap). It has been 5 years though. I'll go see if I can find my directions.

image-3886725192.jpg

Is this legible? I'm doing this with my iphone. I'd loan you my light if you were in the Bakersfield area.
image-3886725192.jpg

Pull the rotor and check under the cap for signs of interference with the weights. Also check to see if the e-clips holding the weights were left off. There have been batches of these parts with problems like sloppy fitted weights that get hung up and rotors that interfere with their movement. Hard to imagine that any cheap chinese parts could be defective.

There have been batches of these parts with problems like sloppy fitted weights that get hung up and rotors that interfere with their movement. Hard to imagine that any cheap chinese parts could be defective.

Seems you have first hand experience, care to elaborate :rolleyes:

fireflyr this is how I installed my HEI distributor. Pulled the #1 plug and installed a cotton ball. Rotated the crank until cotton ball shot out. Turned crank until #1 piston was at or damn close to TDC (I didn't see the "BB" or cut mark on the flywheel in the window). Installed distributor so rotor was almost facing the #4 plug. Installed the cap and hooked up plug wires where the #1 plug wire is facing where the rotor was (#4 plug but #1 on the cap). Cranked motor and tried to get my light on the "BB" which should be 7 degrees BTDC. Well, I can't see either marks on the flywheel and moving the distributor doesn't make it better. I can say that if I turn it all the way clockwise, it start better and idles and revs better. I am so confused and have tried everything with no results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom