Heavy Steering / Trans Tune Flush (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Probably still salvageable, and pump is easy to remove (but messy!). Keep us updated. I still suspect PO didn’t give you accurate info and rack may very well be the culprit of your issues.
I'll keep you posted. Just keep in mind that I've already replaced the pump, so I know the fluid struggle involved! And the rack clearly says it is a Maval, but I have no clue when that was replaced so it could be old already, or just faulty (very possible)

Finally got the control valve out and didn't break anything in the process, thankfully. Found some channellocks with the perfect angle to get a grip on a fresh side of the bolt. Unfortunately, it made 0 difference.... Only remaining suspect is the rack :(

Unfortunately, it made 0 difference.... Only remaining suspect is the rack :(
😢 That sucks! Sounds like you’re close to confirming our suspicions that PO wasn’t honest about the rack...

Follow up for those with similar issues...

Replaced the steering rack (new OEM), pressure hose, and return hose. Still heavy steering. I've replaced every part of the power steering system except the intermediate shafts, steering column, and clockspring. Not sure if there is anything else I can do at this point. Compared to my F150, the steering is heavy. Compared to another 100 series I've driven (GCC model though), steering is heavy. What could it be? I am running 285/75r16s, which are large and heavy, but when I bought this cruiser it had stock sized tires and steering was just as heavy (I remember because I asked the person who sold it to me and they said that's just how these cruisers are). From what I've read on the forum though, it should be a breeze to turn.

So I'm about $1,000 deep in parts now and no change to steering. My only (minor) consolation is at least I have a bunch of new OEM components to last another 20 years...

The steering on my 06 LX470 (with VGRS) feels much lighter and quicker than our 99 LX470 or 00 LC (without VGRS). Without knowing more about the GCC LC that you’re comparing your vehicle to, you might just be chasing your tail.

Fwiw, the steering in my 02 LX470 is much heavier than my wife’s ‘18 Explorer or any F150 I’ve ever driven.

At one time I was concerned, but the steering was just as heavy as a comparable year GX I test drove.

Last edited:
Run a Sierra 3500 pump! CBR pump ftw
I’m curious about this … I would like a little stronger pump to turn these 35 inch tires. I just did a brand new OEM rack last week. Getting ready to tackle the pump, what year of that 1 ton Sierra would you recommend trying to retrofit? Or CBR pump?

this is a pretty old thread and hasnt been hit on in a while and i wonder if the OP is even on here, but i recently did an entire front end refresh on a 2000 LX i picked up. new UCA, new LCA, new steering rack, outer TRE, bearings and seals, axles, etc etc,. like, there is literally no old anything up front. i did not replace the PS pump or reservoir, and the steering is pretty dang heavy. this is my first 100 platform so im wondering if the early models are just heavy steering trucks. it tracks true, and returns to center fine, no noises, no slop, no leaks. but dang even my 87 runner with 37's is lighter than this tank. my wife drove it and the first thing she said was that she didnt like how hard it was to steer (compared to her 07 tacoma with stock tires). i should add it has 285 tires on it. anyways i know im bringing back the dead here. i do have a new rese and pump on order, because mine both have 318k miles on them, but im not very hopeful they will help at this point with no symptoms of being bad.

this is a pretty old thread and hasnt been hit on in a while and i wonder if the OP is even on here, but i recently did an entire front end refresh on a 2000 LX i picked up. new UCA, new LCA, new steering rack, outer TRE, bearings and seals, axles, etc etc,. like, there is literally no old anything up front. i did not replace the PS pump or reservoir, and the steering is pretty dang heavy. this is my first 100 platform so im wondering if the early models are just heavy steering trucks. it tracks true, and returns to center fine, no noises, no slop, no leaks. but dang even my 87 runner with 37's is lighter than this tank. my wife drove it and the first thing she said was that she didnt like how hard it was to steer (compared to her 07 tacoma with stock tires). i should add it has 285 tires on it. anyways i know im bringing back the dead here. i do have a new rese and pump on order, because mine both have 318k miles on them, but im not very hopeful they will help at this point with no symptoms of being bad.

I’ve got two early models, and one late model (admittedly with VGRS) in the driveway. It’s my observation that on my selection of vehicles, the older models steering is “firmer”, and “slower”. It’s been a while since I’ve driven a 03-07 LC, so I can’t say with authority that it’s “year”, or VGRS…

Still here, and still heavy steering. I've replaced literally every steering component except the columns (although I've inspected the U-joints and lubed them) and still heavy steering. I run 285s as well. I've given up accepted that she's a tank, especially with those wheels. I can't say why my 1998 GCC model doesn't steer this way but oh well. Only time it ever feels lighter is right after driving a golf cart, so I guess I should just play more golf.

This is a fascinating conundrum. After my experience of replacing the entire system over the course of the first year of ownership I have learned quite a bit on this system. The short version is the older 1st gen 100 series has a heavier/less responsive steering with larger wheels and tires.

For context I have or replaced the following:

275/65/18s
LC OEM torsion bars
865 OME springs with Bilstien 4600s
three pumps two OEM rebuilds and one new OEM.
new OEM vacuum lines (Toyota will sell it as a complete set) 17030-50070
(3) OEM new air control valves ( I broke two not paying attention) 17630-16040
(2) Racks (one Toyota servicerite one OEM)
555 outer tie rod ends which almost immediately rusted in salty air.
(2) high pressure lines (1 aftermarket and 1 OEM)
replaced p/s pump suction port and o ring with OEM this is impossible to find. (sourced out of Canada)
Union bolts (2) 90401-16020 and 90401-16034
(2) union port banjo gaskets 44327-30040
1 OEM reservoir cap.
1 salvage yard reservoir and 1 new.
tilt, telescoping motors and switch
countless Toyota atf quarts as most leaked out during my discovery and learning curve.

After resolution and leak fix. I have discovered that; 1.) Steering IS heavier than my 2001 Sequoia with 33s. 2.) steering response is slightly slower than Sequoia. Still effective but noticeably slower. 3) Alignment and lowering slightly the torsion bars closer to original height helped mitigate steering awkwardness 4.) Different feel than a 2005 LX and 07 LC respectively. 5.) Only available high pressure line available at dealer in my area is the 2005 and up. Pump side head is larger than 2004 and older models requiring above mentioned banjo gasket and different union bolt with a higher torque requirement (42 vs 61 ft/lbs).
Side note: the Lucas tranny fix ATF high viscosity sludge does help smooth the slowness feeling. Just use small amounts like a table spoon when priming.

My conclusion is that the 98-02.5s were still using the old style hydraulic system that battles "torque steer" without assistance and was changed as a result during facelift in '03 and up models. I hope my two pennies help someone. If someone knows how to mitigate this further I am absolutely down to learn.

Still here, and still heavy steering. I've replaced literally every steering component except the columns (although I've inspected the U-joints and lubed them) and still heavy steering. I run 285s as well. I've given up accepted that she's a tank, especially with those wheels. I can't say why my 1998 GCC model doesn't steer this way but oh well. Only time it ever feels lighter is right after driving a golf cart, so I guess I should just play more golf.
Moar golf is always the answer.

Replaced my reservoir this weekend and mine is significantly better, inspection of the bottom of the old rese shows that it was pretty clogged up. I have ordered new hoses and a pump due to all the contamination in the old rese. I held a light under the old one for the pic to show all the debris
B2EAAD83-1820-4E94-AC94-2307C8DE9E9D.jpeg
DD12BB59-076A-4B0D-B72F-127650EB5D29.jpeg

Did the PO do anything like a leveling kit or body lift? I have seen where the intermediate shaft number two connects into a yoke just on the engine side of the firewall - and was not loosened and retightened properly after a mild body lift. This made the steering feel quite heavy. Total longshot, but just thought I'd ask. I'm still trying to figure out what I can do to make my steering a little lighter. I can still spin the wheel around using two fingers but, would love to be able to use one finger as a gauge of how "firm" the steering is.

Did the PO do anything like a leveling kit or body lift? I have seen where the intermediate shaft number two connects into a yoke just on the engine side of the firewall - and was not loosened and retightened properly after a mild body lift. This made the steering feel quite heavy. Total longshot, but just thought I'd ask. I'm still trying to figure out what I can do to make my steering a little lighter. I can still spin the wheel around using two fingers but, would love to be able to use one finger as a gauge of how "firm" the steering is.

I appreciate the ideas! Unfortunately, no, I haven't added any body lift or leveling kit. Just an AHC "lift".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom