Heavier springs rate that works with AHC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The springs on my 2014 LX570 seems to be soft, now that I have added few things on the car, e.g.; roof rack, roof top tent, slider, DIY cargo drawer, soon fridge.
Is there any heavier springs rate that work with AHC?
Love to hear your feedback. TIA.

One member bought a spare stock set and was going to measure the spring constant to get some custom springs made, but they never reported back what they measured.

I've considered buying a set off ebay to measure. They sets are $150 or so.

@MILOWILLI did you write down the factory springs rates? What updated spring rate did you get? How are they working?

How much weight do you think you added to the rear? I'm counting something like 600 lbs? Which is not much in the grand scheme of things from my experience with AHC.

To answer your question, you can use a few strategies
1) Add spring spacers to the rear springs. 20 or 30mm spacers will pre-load the rear springs
2) Add airbags to the rear springs, either alone or in addition to spacers.
3) Change out rear springs for different springs. I've heard of at least another rig use normal 200-series springs, but they were built with at least 1000lb+ statically added to the rear. Others have suggested 100-series normal springs as I believe they are lower spring rate.

All that said, they may not perceptibly increase spring rate. AHC is somewhat by design a progressive spring rate system. So by preloading, all one is doing is adding additional payload overhead. I'm on a trip right now and I scale in at about 2000lbs additional (4800lbs) on the rear axle, with 1 and 2 and it feels on point without feeling soft.

What I'm getting at perhaps is where you're carrying the weight? Is it feeling soft with more rolls in turns? Rather than straight ahead? I've had RTT tents before that that's somewhat the compromise in dynamic performance with a heavy rack and RTT. Still, you might try 1 or 2 as they could help with more stability.

Thanks TeCKis300!
I will try option 1.

At the current state, It seems to have more roll when turning. Of course, with more stuff on roof, the truck will have more sway.
The LX is about 700-800 lbs more when loaded.

I don’t understand the way Lexus does their payload. I weighed my stock 2010 LX and have front axle weight at 3320 and rear at 3060. I had myself in the vehicle with a half tank of fuel and third row seats removed. My tag says GVWR is 7275 lbs. therefore my payload is 7275-3320-3060=895. It would be even less with third row seats installed And a full tank. Divide 895 by 7 passengers and the AVG passenger would be 127 lbs. this is ridiculous. The other puzzling thing is my tag also shows my GAWR front at 3595 and rear at 4300 so this would imply a GVWR of 7895 not 7275.
Anyone know how to interpret the payload?

fear not and carry on!
Sensor lift, no spring spacers.

8A4D1EBE-DB07-4016-9809-165A3C381F9F.jpeg

LX470 so different cup of tea but here is what I did over a year ago, still working great! I added Old Man Emu medium duty springs to the rear of the truck, 2 reasons I did this, first of all the rig was starting to have a hard time keeping up with all of the weight added to the rig, second and proly more important running trails like the Rubicon with AHC our plan was simple, if the AHC took a S**T the strong rear coils and LC torsion bars would still get me off the trail. The system works perfect both on and offroad and drives great, only side affect is ya can't go into low mode, but I'm way beyond getting this rig into low mode 🤪

117112817_304466154210690_88212113095992661_n.jpg

i-Cwx8tvG-X2.jpg

Nicely done! Interest piqued. Now you gotta show us the rest of the rig!
All is good, still trying to figure out the swaybar link. On LX it’s inwards and Tundra it’s outwards. It’s at severe ankle when mounted inwards. I mounted it outwards outside of arm with a grade 10 bolt. It’s still at an angle but just ordered a different type link to straighten it up.

7752963D-3513-42F4-94A4-D439256CC73E.jpeg

FA331C9F-B9F4-4B59-825A-ED57692333DF.jpeg

All is good, still trying to figure out the swaybar link. On LX it’s inwards and Tundra it’s outwards. It’s at severe ankle when mounted inwards. I mounted it outwards outside of arm with a grade 10 bolt. It’s still at an angle but just ordered a different type link to straighten it up.

View attachment 2658573

View attachment 2658574
Lol, LX570 Pro. :)
I also think your sway bar links are attached to the sway bar on the wrong side.

Last edited:
What’s going on at the 6:00 position of your LCA eccentric? Optical illusion? Damaged bushing?
It's an 1/8" thick washer, I have one on each side of the mount. The Tundra arm shock mount is about 1/4 narrow than the 200 series. I forgot about that, I probably should get the proper bolt.

Filed a request quote with Cruiser Brothers, the USA dist for Terrain Tamer. Maybe TT wants to sponsor another build :)

Interesting video on upgrading AHC 200 series coils with uprated Terrain Tamer 100 series coils

Thanks for posting. This may be a dumb question, but I wonder about the front? Why just the rear? And maybe its just me, but it appears to make the rake even worse in High. Hard to tell from this angle though.

Filed a request quote with Cruiser Brothers, the USA dist for Terrain Tamer. Maybe TT wants to sponsor another build :)

I am planning on spring spacers at some point but have also considered stiffer springs. I would be more than willing to drive over to Stockton and let them take a look. How did you file a request for quote?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom