heater not working well (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Starting to get colder in the Chicago land area. Heater does not work well. It blows heat, but not hot! It seems to be not as efficient. I dont know where to start. Coolant level is fine. I was thinking this might the PHH problem? Heater control valve in the front of the firewall? I already lubed the swing arm on the control valve. Any ideas? Thanks. I hope it is not the heater core.

First check your coolant temp. If it is running too cold then that is your problem. It usually happens when your thermostat fails and stays open causing the temps to never get high enough....

*also what offroads4x4 said... after verifying the coolant temp see if the valve is physically opening. If it looks open feel the hose before and after the valve to check for a temp difference. The valve door might be broken on the inside too.

If that's not it then you might have a heater core that is blocked up.

Last edited:
Check to make sure the heater control valve is working (moving full open and closed), replace the thermostat, back flush your cooling system (heater core, radiator). If the water/coolant is up you most likely dont have a PHH problem but if its worn replace it for PM.
Dose the rear heater work the same? Warm but not hot?

Coolant level is fine. LC has 150K on it. I will check the thermostat. The heater in the rear is warm as well. I lubed the heater control valve, but since it is the closest, I thought about taking it out and making sure it is not corroded. Thermostat was a good idea, although it did not overheat in the 100F weather in the summer. PHH was viewed with LC on lift today. It is not leaking and seems fine. Looking at it, I can see how it is a pain in the arse.

Coolant level is fine. LC has 150K on it. I will check the thermostat. The heater in the rear is warm as well. I lubed the heater control valve, but since it is the closest, I thought about taking it out and making sure it is not corroded. Thermostat was a good idea, although it did not overheat in the 100F weather in the summer. PHH was viewed with LC on lift today. It is not leaking and seems fine. Looking at it, I can see how it is a pain in the arse.

Its not overheating you are looking for, but over-cooling. Most thermostats will fail in the open position..

Last edited:
Replace that thermostat for good measure. I recommend an OEM unit verses an aftermarket, but that is just me. Flush they system if you are able and then be sure a bleed the system to remove any trapped air.

I had the same symptoms you are experiencing and it turned out to be a bad thermostat (stuck open of course). You can pull it and test it by placing it in boiling water for a few min. If it doesnt move, its most likely stuck. 30 min fix with a flush. Most expensive part will be the 2 jugs of Toyota Red coolant.

BadReligion said:
I had the same symptoms you are experiencing and it turned out to be a bad thermostat (stuck open of course). You can pull it and test it by placing it in boiling water for a few min.

Once you take it out, look for a gap in the valve. Then put in a new Toyota one, it's only going to cost you $3 more than a generic one. And fill with two jugs of Toyota red coolant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom