Heater Core Replacement-Pictures and How To (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

So I just finished up a heater core replacement and I thought I would do a write up and add some pictures of the process. I want to start by saying I do not consider myself a mechanic. I have had my LC for almost a year now and learned how to do a lot to the LC since then (mainly from write ups on here). Before owing my LC I didn't work on vehicles very much. My knowledge consisted of changing my own oil and an alternator replacement on other vehicles I have owned. I say all that to say, if I can do this anyone can.

At first this job seems very intimidating but I really didn't think it was that bad. I believe it helps to look at this as a big puzzle of screws and bolts. If something doesn't come loose or pop out then you have missed a screw and you have to find it.

I couldn't find a good write up on here on how to do this. I did however use '94 heater core R/R - done as a reference for pictures. I hope that with that link and my below pictures it will make this job easier.

So things to know: This job took me several days to complete. I spent about 3 hours a night for 5 nights to disassemble. I also had help several of those nights from @KrOswalt ( Thanks again man ). People that say they can do this in an hour or less are full of s***. They key for me during this job was staying organized and taking pictures along the way to see the placement of wires and layout. I highly suggest labeling every screw/bolt/nut that you take out so you know where it goes in the reassembly (There are a lot of them).

The process: we started with taking the panel below the steering wheel off and the fuse box. We then took the glove box and passenger speaker out. You will have to take the steering wheel apart and drop the steering wheel in order to take the gauge cluster and dash out. The tricky part was popping the clock, and vents out. Be patient and use credit cards ( or something similar) to help with the process. From there it's just taking screws and bolts loose. Once the dash is out you will have to take the support brace out. It helps to undo the brackets it connects to to give you more room to get it out. Personally I grinded the support down and put primer on it because mine had a lot of rust on it. From there you will be able to get the heater core and evaporator core out. Many people say it is possible to get the heater core out without removing the evaporator core but we did not see how that was possible. In order to get the evaporator core out you will have to take the hard lines loose under the hood. When you do this freon will leak out so be ready for a great head high if you breath in to much of it. I did this in my garage, the wife was not happy.... But it has to be done which also means that you will have to refill the freon in order to have cool air with the AC. While under the hood you will have to discount the heater lines that run to the heater core. Once all of that is done you can remove the heater core and AC evaporator core.

I had my heater core completely rebuilt for $325. It was leaking from the pipe of all places but had a lot of corrosion in one of the corners. I figured to be safe I should have the entire thing rebuilt. I don't want to have to do this again anytime soon.

I hope this helps guys. In the end, just get started and you'll see it's not as hard as you think. If you have any questions I will do my best to help. Good luck!
IMG_2548.jpg

IMG_2550.jpg
IMG_2551.jpg
IMG_2552.jpg

IMG_2555 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Very nice thread, all the photos sure make it easy for those of us who have never done this job, to understand just what's involved. I do have to admit though, i hope i NEVER have to replace my heater core.

Very nice thread, all the photos sure make it easy for those of us who have never done this job, to understand just what's involved. I do have to admit though, i hope i NEVER have to replace my heater core.
Thank you. I wouldn't wish a heat core replacement on anyone but if it does come up, it's not has bad as it looks.

First off.. Did you ever play counter strike? Second.. Could you help me with figuring out where the servo/mixer is? That is a pic of behind the stereo. Is it somewhere in there? I have a thread going with a more detailed look at my problems and am wondering if you wouldn't mind popping in over there?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer!

20200227_142604.jpg

Thank you for posting this! I'm TDY and need to finish cleaning rodent mess out of my wife's truck and finish reassembling the whole dash assembly later this summer. I started over a year ago.
Over a year ago! That's a heck of a project haha. Hope the pictures help. If you have any questions during assembly let me know. Happy to help.

First off.. Did you ever play counter strike? Second.. Could you help me with figuring out where the servo/mixer is? That is a pic of behind the stereo. Is it somewhere in there? I have a thread going with a more detailed look at my problems and am wondering if you wouldn't mind popping in over there?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer!

View attachment 2224770
Hey sorry, never played counter strike, was more of a COD guy. lol. Sorry I just saw these messages. Did you ever figure out your problem?

yep, got into the project, had to prep for a shoulder surgery that had to be recovered from in time for this trip. The build thread is "Reviving the Wife's 80".
I've torn both my labrums white water kayaking so I feel your pain. I will check the thread out. Good luck with the reassembly. Hopefully you kept all your bolts and screws somewhat organized. If so it shouldn't be to bad. If you didn't most of the bolts and screws are the same so you can figure it out pretty easily.

Out of interest, is it possible to get new oldstock heater cores now or are they all gone? I tried hunting down a spare for my 80 (being RHD) and couldn't get anything but they might be around. I actually have a full new AC evap assy (gen Toyota - made in Australia!) and full replacement air box assy with spare used core. I need to replace the air box assy as the airmix damper inside is broken.

Out of interest, is it possible to get new oldstock heater cores now or are they all gone? I tried hunting down a spare for my 80 (being RHD) and couldn't get anything but they might be around. I actually have a full new AC evap assy (gen Toyota - made in Australia!) and full replacement air box assy with spare used core. I need to replace the air box assy as the airmix damper inside is broken.
I am currently parting out a 1995 FZJ80 and I believe we have what you are looking for. We have the heater core and all the AC components in the dash. I know you are in Australia and shipping would be expensive but its an option if you are interested.

I have a full airbox assembly as a spare waiting to go in if/when I can take the 80 out of service long enough to strip out the dash to get at the air box and AC evap assemblies (both need replacing). Probably can't use LHD market parts though some of the sub-parts could be the same. Because the airmix-damper in mine isn't working properly the airflow controls don't all function correctly.

The dash in my 80 has probably never been pulled out since it was installed at the factory in Japan in 1991/2. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom