Heater & AC making weird noise when running (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my heater and AC make a weird noise that you can hear in the video below at 0:11. It lasts for about 10 seconds, and then there is usually a 10-25 second delay before it starts up again. It seems to be louder depending on how cold out it is.

It's something HVAC related obviously, because I only hear it when the HVAC is on. I am finding other things around the forum that it could be an HVAC servo motor? But this noise also kicks my RPM up like an additional 500RPM or so.. so I am kind of lost.

Note that I had my blower motor replaced recently, which made a separate ticking noise in the glove box, so I know it's not that.

Any Ideas?

Sounds like your AC compressor is on its way out. You can trying adding some pag oil and see if it helps, but usually by the time it’s making that much noise the damage is done. On hindsight I’ve seen them last a long time like that.

Sounds like your AC compressor is on its way out. You can trying adding some pag oil and see if it helps, but usually by the time it’s making that much noise the damage is done. On hindsight I’ve seen them last a long time like that.
That's what I figured it might be. Does the heat also run through the AC compressor as well to cause this?

Mine makes the same noise and has made it for the past 40k. The HVAC works perfectly and the compressor checks out in terms of pressures. I always assumed it was noise from the compressor clutch.

Your compressor will kick on while using the heat if the AC and Auto buttons are pressed. I usually turn try to turn the AC off during the winter.

Last edited:
Mine makes the same noise and has made it for the past 40k. The HVAC works perfectly and the compressor checks out in terms of pressures. I always assumed it was noise from the compressor clutch.

Your compressor will kick on while using the heat if the AC and Auto buttons are pressed. I usually turn try to turn the AC off during the winter.
Good to know! Yeah the heat works fine, and so does the AC as well. Very odd lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom