Heat Shield Rattling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My cat converter and muffler suffered some damage afer some off-roading a few weeks ago. I now have a pronouned rattle between 2000-3000 rpm. I am almost sure the rattle is coming from the heat shield around the cat. The shield felt tight when I shook it. Is there any easy fix here? Thanks.

i used to have it on start-up --

-- pliers and a hammer quickly remedied that --

-- no noise with the shields in the trash --

:D

e

DHanney,

If it isn't your heat shield then it might be your muffler. Mine got slammed pretty hard many times and after a while the internal baffles started rattling. Only cure was to replace it.

-B-

e,
Does your passengers feet get warm in the summer? I there any safety concerns with no heat shield? This rattle drives me crazy. Thanks.

I get a light rattle when in "D" with the brake applied at a stop, but when my foot comes off the brake it goes away - It sounds like a metal rattle but the brakes are fine so . . . hmm time to look at the heat shield.

The upper cat heat shield broke loose on my Acura, resulting in horrible rattles as soon as the engine starts up, idles, or accelerates; went HomeDepot & get two giant hose clamps (similar to the ones used for PHH replacements) for $3 dollars and fixed the chronic rattle. Don't think same solution would hold up on the trail again though.

dhanney said:
e,
Does your passengers feet get warm in the summer? I there any safety concerns with no heat shield? This rattle drives me crazy. Thanks.

I have found none, and that POS is better in the heap than under my luv's feat --

-- really, I have found no difference --

-- the center console gets much hotter than the floor-boards ever do --

e

it could just be that one of the clamps on the heat shield around the pipes just in front of the cats has broken. If so, a large stainless hose clamp will do the trick or at least has held up for me for quite a while now. just make sure the engine is stone cold before you check

erics_bruisers said:
I have found none, and that POS is better in the heap than under my luv's feat --

-- really, I have found no difference --

-- the center console gets much hotter than the floor-boards ever do --

e

Check under your floormat. When I removed mine to work on the cat I'd have a dampness under floormat. Still don't have the heat shield on, going on Monday. I'd rather scrape the shield on a rock rather than scraping the s***e out of my cat.

nyk438 said:
Check under your floormat. When I removed mine to work on the cat I'd have a dampness under floormat. Still don't have the heat shield on, going on Monday. I'd rather scrape the shield on a rock rather than scraping the s***e out of my cat.

wouldn't that be a water leak rather than heat damage?

e

erics_bruisers said:
wouldn't that be a water leak rather than heat damage?

e

Touche :D

Possibly :flipoff2:

It started when the shield came off though, probably somthing else.

You can hose clamp it but it will fail over time.
I put on a muffler clamp on one and a hose clamp on the other.
The mufler clamp is ugly but it will last forever. The hose clamp is rusting.

semlin said:
it could just be that one of the clamps on the heat shield around the pipes just in front of the cats has broken. If so, a large stainless hose clamp will do the trick or at least has held up for me for quite a while now. just make sure the engine is stone cold before you check

I had this as well. It was the heat shield around the pipes just behind the front tire. One stainless clamp didnt work. But I fianlly put three on there at different points and it's been silent for 15k.

You can get better clamps from a semi truck dealer if you want to go the hose clamp way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom