Headliner Insulation/Sound Deadener Material Suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am concerned that on the roof, the mat (whatever brand) will heat up and the adhesive will allow it to drop onto the headliner.

Thoughts on this or experience with brands that do NOT have this problem?

My truck is black and the roof gets very hot in the summer. I cannot imagine what it would be like for those trucks in AZ or CA.

I wonder too, but have yet had anyone show it has happened. I plan on just CCF on the roof and no butyl.

Just to throw an update out there I bought the below. I’m in the process of removing old insulation and glue that held it to the ceiling. I found the best way was to hit it with a sander. I’ll hit the roof with some primer before adding both of the below. They should be here on Saturday so I’ll add pictures of the process once I start on it.

As a sidenote my LC is an off-road toy that usually stays in my garage so I’m not too worried about heat during the summer hitting it constantly. Also being an off-road toy I don’t necessarily need top of the line in my opinion. I figure both of these options has got to be better than what was there before. I plan on doing the floor and the rest of the vehicle in this if it goes well and when I have some time.

F5FC6222-D940-420E-9B2E-9F2DCCDFE772.jpeg

Last edited:
I used Noico 80mil sound deadening and 315mil closed cell foam. I didn't show it in my build thread, but I removed the sunroof cartridge and put the sound deadening and closed cell foam all over the underside of the roof, then reinstalled the sunroof cartridge. The vehicle is substantially quieter than it was before

Cheers
How many layers of Noico 80 mil did you apply?

I am concerned that on the roof, the mat (whatever brand) will heat up and the adhesive will allow it to drop onto the headliner.

Thoughts on this or experience with brands that do NOT have this problem?

My truck is black and the roof gets very hot in the summer. I cannot imagine what it would be like for those trucks in AZ or CA.

I had issues with heat in my black rig when I lived in southern Utah. I put sound deadener in my rear quarter panels to help with noise and reduce vibration with my sub mount. The heat has definitely affected it and there is a slight separation of the deadener and sidewall but nothing terrible. It’s noticeable, but still works. Granted I tried an off brand/no name product. It has worked well everywhere else and I saved quite a bit of money too so I’m not too upset by it.
Although I haven’t tried it on the roof just yet so it may have issues in the heat up there...

Good thing I just moved to WA so I won’t have to worry as much about heat.

I used dynamat on the roof of my 105. A striped the oem stuff out and just used an old school wire brush to clean the fluffy dregs off the roof.
The dynamat I made up a little 1" wide roller with a cheep wheel from the hardware to press the dynamat onto the roof as thoroughly as possible all over.
I had no trouble with it separating and it saw ambient temps in excess of 110⁰f, so easily 150⁰f inside a lock car.

I also added a layer off ¼ EVA closed cell foam with a bonded layer of foil

The two combined made a big difference in noise on the cab and reduces heat

@ScubaSteve80 Pics? results? Do you lay down the butyl first then the foam on top of that? I'm about to pull my headliner chasing a sunroof leak, so....no time like the present to do this :)

@ScubaSteve80 Pics? results? Do you lay down the butyl first then the foam on top of that? I'm about to pull my headliner chasing a sunroof leak, so....no time like the present to do this :)
I have reinstalled my headliner and are happy with the results. Yes butyl first then foam is what I did. I ordered a perfect amount of butyl but was a little short on the foam and had to order more.

As far as results.... its so hard to tell. I do feel like it has helped. But I haven't done my floors or doors yet and I think that is where most of the noise is coming from and I'll see a big result from that. I had extra material so I also did the panels in the back.

I thought it was an easy project to do in the end just time consuming. People seem to make a big deal out of removing the headliner but it's not hard, took me about 1.5 hours to do. Removing the old glue from the original insulation was the biggest pain. I got a an orbital sander and just had to sand it all off and applied primer to the roof before installing the butyl and foam.

8C8CFE59-65F5-4B7F-9AA6-C5EEBF738BCB.jpeg
CBF815A2-35F9-4B4E-8E51-F34C765F0400.jpeg
1C72DB40-1F1C-4315-A4A3-F5A45E4F7B56.jpeg
6499FBAB-685E-4348-9772-8C980B196DAD.jpeg

AADA1F57-EBAB-44DA-9B63-1D5BD1E32CE9.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice work! Not sure it’s going to happen for me this time, I think I’m going to do the rear quarter panels first as I might try to stick the new powered sub in the OEM spot Just gotta fix my brakes first! Priorities.
Thanks for posting the pics!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom