HEAD GASKET...... (1 Viewer)

At what mileage did your Head Gasket BLOW or had to get replaced?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RMS-

Sorry to hear that :'(

Did you have the normal warning signs or any signs of this coming?

Tank.

Only warning sign was a very slight miss at idle. Driving the vehicle to the dealer, the Check Engine light came on. The gasket blew (as in steam and poof!)in the dealership lot. Vehicle was never overheated while I owned it, and doubt the prior owner overheated it. Only Toyota antifreeze was ever used, I have the old service records.

Makes me wonder what warning signs everyone else was getting. I know PM is the ticket but sometimes sh*t happens.

Tank

[quote author=Lars link=board=2;threadid=9853;start=msg93459#msg93459 date=1074711755]
Whatever way you want to twist it, the number of head gasket failures is way too high.
[/quote]

Larry it's kind of like when your neighbor loses his job its a recession and when you lose your job its a depression.

Bottom line is that we are all playing the ODDS..
There are always going to be exceptions..

And I would put my $$$ on a Land Cruiser every time!

[quote author=- S.A. - link=board=2;threadid=9853;start=msg93952#msg93952 date=1074791948]
Bottom line is that we are all playing the ODDS..
There are always going to be exceptions..

And I would put my $$$ on a Land Cruiser every time!

[/quote]

I agree with you. Look at the reviews of the Landcruiser. You won't find anything more reliable. So stop worrying about the future. If the Headgasket blows, it blows and there is nothing what you can do. Just replace it and end of story ::)

Mike

Tank, they either blow around #6 at the back of the head or they start leaking out the sides of the engine. I usually see old track of fluid or even dark red or black junk between the head and the block. If you see light redish junk sticking out from between the block and the head it is old dry antifreeze creeping out at different times. I doing a compression check and you find the first five looking good and even a slight drop of ten psi in number 6 is an indication to me that compression leaking is happening at # 6. When I do compression check I usually see all 6 being real close or #1 and number 6 being the highest reading with the center one being slightly less(the few times that I see a good head gasket). THe other signs is slight overheating that can not be corrected by fixing the cooling system (clean radiator or replace if cloged, fan clutch not working). Or if after working the engine for awhile after5 getting it warm, looking in the overflow tank with the engine reved up to aobut 3500 rpm and seeing if you have any tiny bubbles in the overflow. I usually see several things happening before I do a head gasket job. Unless the customer want to do it as a replacement then usually only one of these things will prompt a replacement. later robbie

Rob-

Exactly what I was looking for. :beer: Thank you. I'll add the compression check to my list of tests to have done. The rest of the stuff I check every other week but thats just me.

Tank-

As I was hopping into the cruiser tonight for a short drive, I thought about these short trips are probably bad for the HG and should I take my Camry instead?

I think we've pretty much decided that these short drive cycles can't be good for the HG due to the heating/cooling of block vs head.

I wonder if it's worth trying to gather some data on people taking short trips (i.e. using the cruiser for DD to work and a short drive to work) against those who usually put on longer trips.

It might be interesting to try to put together some data on that. Assuming good cooling systems, it might have more effect than anything else. Just a hunch.

edit - BYW, it took me 20 minutes to find this thread. :rolleyes:

Mine's dead in the driveway right now. All I have to say is that I want to kick the engineers ass that ran the wiring harness through the intake manifold. Exaust side came off fine, but that intake is killing me. That and the F*ckin' hose assembly for the heater core up tight to the firewall.

126,500 on mine - mostly highway miles from the P.O.

The trick to the harnes is to hit the connectors with air if you have it. Dirt can accumilate in there and not let you move the catch enough for the connector to come apart easily. It took me probably 3 hours to get that thing out of there. Goes in alot easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom