HEAD GASKET...... (1 Viewer)

At what mileage did your Head Gasket BLOW or had to get replaced?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1994 with 122k and no problems. Actually, brakes and starter are the only two repairs since I bought the rig, at 48k.

The failure rate percentage speaks for itself. If the outside chance that a head gasket might blow is the only thing we have to worry about, then I think us landcruiser owners are doing ok. Change the coolant every year with TOYO RED and Distilled Water (yes, distilled only) and drive it like it is made to be driven.

Mine has already gone. It cost me lots too. But I don't care. I still love my cruiser and wouldn't trade it for anything else. I chaulk it up to just being one of those things.

Now it it were to happen monthly....that would be a different story.

.......after 26 years and cooling problems , i decided to change it ......... ;)

133K+ miles on my 95, I change the antifreeze every 12-15K miles (works out to about a year). Changed mine to green way back at around I think 50K miles (before I new the red stuff was important). Hope it keeps going with no problems for another 100K+ miles. It will take me another 8-10 years to find out. :whoops:

Head Gasket? What Head Gasket ???

No blow yet :D

Mike

let me tell'a, i think you guys might have scared me out of an 80. i've been lurking here the last couple of weeks now, just learning stuff about 80's. and i think what i learned is the later 80's "seem" to have a H.G problem. :(
and i don't want another *project*, i want something that'll pull the quads. :-\

for the moment i think i'll start looking at used taco's, and maybe an 80 down the road. but dang i sure do like the looks of the later 80's, i just don't want to be worring about a head gasket on a truck that'll more than likely have over 100K on it.

94 at 187k+ still no blow. Probably never will. Knock on real wood. :)

Brian,

Early 3.4 V6 Tacomas had a service campaign to replace the headgaskets.

Replacing a headgasket at 100,000 miles on a 300,000 mile engine is not quite the same as rebuilding a 100,000 mile engine. For the most part, 1FZ head gaskets live as long as many other engines do.

106k on fj100 still going.

Wonder how many of the ones that blew had turbo's or super charges? If they did they should not be counted. Only stock unmodified engines should be counted to get a feel for any potential weakness in design. JMHO

You guys ever hear the sound of hydrolocking? Probably the scariest sound ever... at least when it's your truck. That's what mine did @ around 110K, sucked coolant into the cylinder while parked, then tried to compress that when I went to start it next time, damn lucky I didn't bend a rod. The starter would engage and try to turn the engine, but the compressed liquid wasn't having it, would torque the whole truck about 10°. glad I had AAA that day...

After being inside 30 or more engines I think most of you guys are living in denial. I truly believe it will happen to you at some time. rememeber I believe in fairies an such. I have been around when a couple have gone real bad, white smoke billowing out the back of a truck as they drive down the road. I really thinke it is a matter of time for most 1FZJ80's. We hear of trucks every week having failures for no appearent reasons. I do wish it happens when it is easy to repair and you really do not get soaked. I was lucky after getting my truck and driving it back from Flordia to Santa fe NM, a couple of thousands miles I got to 90 miles from SF. I even went through Big Bend in Texas and crossed over the Rio Grande into Mexico. I see the numbers and I have replaced more headgaskets then the numbers on the board. Robbie the evil guy

[quote author=robbie link=board=2;threadid=9853;start=msg90031#msg90031 date=1074049658]
After being inside 30 or more engines I think most of you guys are living in denial. I truly believe it will happen to you at some time. rememeber I believe in fairies an such. I have been around when a couple have gone real bad, white smoke billowing out the back of a truck as they drive down the road. I really thinke it is a matter of time for most 1FZJ80's. We hear of trucks every week having failures for no appearent reasons. I do wish it happens when it is easy to repair and you really do not get soaked. I was lucky after getting my truck and driving it back from Flordia to Santa fe NM, a couple of thousands miles I got to 90 miles from SF. I even went through Big Bend in Texas and crossed over the Rio Grande into Mexico. I see the numbers and I have replaced more headgaskets then the numbers on the board. Robbie the evil guy
[/quote]

Hey were all going to die some day too. If you drive any vehicle long enough it will fail. The Landcruiser has an iron block and aluminum heads, if it overheats it can cause a failure in the head gasket. Not all LC's are cared for the same. If God didn't make little green apples it won't rain in Indianapolis in the summer time. You want me to go on :D

Hello,

How much does a HG replacement cost?

Thanks,

Chuck

>> ... and I have replaced more headgaskets then the numbers on the board. <<

As of today (44 entries, 10 head gaskets) it appears that about 23% of those responding to the poll have had head gasket issues.

I knew the number of failed head gaskets was large as I've been watching the reports for a couple of years. If we were to draw any conclusions at this stage in the polling the result wouldn't be very good for the name of Toyota.

-B-
[ I won't sleep for a week now. Thanks guys. :( ]

93 w/191k, original headgasket far as I can tell, no problems yet :)

Has anybody had their HG go twice? Or is the consensus that this is pretty much a failure of the original HG design?

Tom

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=9853;start=msg90170#msg90170 date=1074061830]

>> ... and I have replaced more headgaskets then the numbers on the board. <<

As of today (44 entries, 10 head gaskets) it appears that about 23% of those responding to the poll have had head gasket issues.

I knew the number of failed head gaskets was large as I've been watching the reports for a couple of years. If we were to draw any conclusions at this stage in the polling the result wouldn't be very good for the name of Toyota.

-B-
[ I won't sleep for a week now. Thanks guys. :( ]
[/quote]

If you put any authority in this type of poll I have a cherry LC I will sell you for $50,000 :slap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom