Head Gasket/timing chain cover work - update 3/27/04 Complete! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Head Gasket/timing chain cover work - updated 3/13/04

[quote author=Darwood link=board=2;threadid=12645;start=msg120542#msg120542 date=1079172762]
Thanks for the update.

I''m curious, what did you use/how did you lift the motor up an inch after you removed the top nut on the motor mounts?
[/quote]

The head is off the motor so we took two head bolts and used them to secure a chain to the top-front of the block. Then used a cherry picker. 10 minutes.... no big thing.

Study the head bolts very carefully before you re-use them for their intended purpose. They are plastic region bolts and they were not intended to be used in such a manner.

Re:Head Gasket/timing chain cover work - updated 3/13/04

>> 2. Replace the broken timing chain slipper. <<

Larry,
So it appears yours was broken but still working OK? Pics?

As for the clean up. C-Dan spent a lot of time on cleaning everything up. I think every hour you spend here will pay off in the long run.

Keep the updates coming and post pictures when you can.
-B-

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=12645;start=msg120630#msg120630 date=1079197241]
Study the head bolts very carefully before you re-use them for their intended purpose. They are plastic region bolts and they were not intended to be used in such a manner.
[/quote]

Cdan, Thanks for the heads up. Any idea on a ballpark price/availability of new bolts?

90910-02111 x 14. List $14.23 each.

I do not have any on the shelf at the moment but my depot has plenty. The FSM has a procedure for inspection. I would also roll them on a flat surface to make sure they didn't get bent under the load.

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=12645;start=msg120631#msg120631 date=1079197293]

>> 2. Replace the broken timing chain slipper. <<

Larry,
So it appears yours was broken but still working OK? Pics?

As for the clean up. C-Dan spent a lot of time on cleaning everything up. I think every hour you spend here will pay off in the long run.

Keep the updates coming and post pictures when you can.
-B-

[/quote]

B,

Yes it was broken. When we removed the valve cover there was a 3" section just laying there. I'll try to take a pic of the old part next to the new when it arrives.

My goal was to document and take pics of this entire process but once you get into it there just isnt time to stop for this type of thing.

--Larry

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=12645;start=msg120638#msg120638 date=1079198811]
90910-02111 x 14. List $14.23 each.

I do not have any on the shelf at the moment but my depot has plenty. The FSM has a procedure for inspection. I would also roll them on a flat surface to make sure they didn't get bent under the load.
[/quote]

Thanks Dan. Robbie suggested using the head bolts to lift the motor. I'm not even sure there was another option. Hopefully he believed it would not compromise them.

We screwed them down as far as they would go and really there wasnt much effort required to lift the motor and once the pan was off we lowered the motor to rest on its mounts again.

--Larry

Pretty common to use the head bolts to lift the head. Just be careful to get good thread engagement before lifting. You don't want to pull the bolts out :eek:.

Hello Larry:
Hope you are also looking at the rods and mains to check for antifreeze contamantion. If so looked for spotting or pitting of the bearings. Yes head bolts are used alot to lift if careful. I can not really imagine more than 300lbs of dead straight lift hurting the bolts. These head bolts are a special diameter (11mm I believe), Hard to find except from toyota. Nothing else on the body matches, I believe the crank bolts are the same size, but again unless you have a coupled striped down then it would be hard to find. The pictures of Dan's parts are nicer then new, way to shiny for my tastes. I hope dan had a picnick on them before he installed them. good luck robbie

do try to get good photos and a writeup, puleeze, it will make you famous and revered by generations of cruiserheads... ;)
E

>> The pictures of Dan's parts are nicer then new, way to shiny for my tastes.
>> I hope dan had a picnick on them before he installed them.

Robbie,
That picture was a new timing chain cover that Dan had on hand "just in case." One of the perks of having a multi-million dollar Toyota inventory outside your office door. :D

I'm pretty sure there was no picnic going on as Dan was in a hurry to get it put back together. That was a big job to replace a 20 cent part.

-B-

Eric, sorry no pics as you work by brail down there. It took me about 3 hours to remove that harness. The worst was that the 2 branches that go over the tranny bell housing were tangled qwith some of the other plumbing under there. Basically the harness starts at the PS firewall, travels over to the intake and along the fuel rail for the injecters. In the middle of the fuel rail it Ts and goes down the middle of the intake and then spiders to all sorts of sensors. Two large bundles branch rearward and plug into the tranny harness just at the rear of the engine. Two smaller harnesses branh rearward and go over the bell housing on the DS and then passover the tranny for the O2 sensors and the trannyshift sensor.

Here is a pic of it pulled from the engine bay and laying out over the fender.

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=12645;start=msg120971#msg120971 date=1079284204]
Right now I'm fighting with that Damn harness that Ts down through the intake. Worst part of the job so far.
[/quote]

We havent messed with the harness other than disconnecting the injectors, sensors and any other associated plugs. Although if it were just my time and my garage I was using, I would have pulled the harness like you did.

[quote author=robbie link=board=2;threadid=12645;start=msg120961#msg120961 date=1079281349]
Hello Larry:
Hope you are also looking at the rods and mains to check for antifreeze contamantion. If so looked for spotting or pitting of the bearings.
[/quote]

Thanks Robbie. I still need to do a more thorough inspection but so far everything looks to be in great condition. I've been worried about this all week after talking to you last monday.

I do have a question/thought regarding this... Wouldnt antifreeze contamination have the same affect on the camshaft bearing caps and associated parts up top like it would the rod and main bearings? Those parts were sitting in the same contaminated oil. My thought is this, if I didnt see any spotting or pitting up top, wouldnt it be somewhat safe to assume the components on the bottom end would look the same? Any thoughts?

Cheers.

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=12645;start=msg121146#msg121146 date=1079311946]
Lars, did I miss something? How did you get the head off? I was reading the manual and it looked to me also that the harness had to be removed.
[/quote]

First off, we didnt follow the manual step for step except during cam removal and general timing 'subject matter'. Probably not the smartest thing to do but....

We just unplugged and unbolted whatever we needed to to gain access to the head. Basically, the entire bottom part of the intake along with the fuel rail, injectors and the harness that runs through it is still in the vehicle. We just moved it to the side and used a bungy cord to hold it out of our way. I dont remember step for step what we did because the timing chain work is more fresh on my mind... one thing is for certain, my harness is no where close to being out of the engine compartment like yours is.

--Larry

It's good to know I'm still on the right track. The manual says to remove the head and intake as an assembly. My intake is as nasty as my throttle body and splitting the upper and lower half is going to be needed to get it clean to where I'm happy. Since the head kit has all those gasket's I'm using them :D

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=12645;start=msg121177#msg121177 date=1079314944]
The manual says to remove the head and intake as an assembly.
[/quote]

I wonder why. I imagine I'm going to have some fun getting it bolted back up.

Did you unbolt the exhaust manifolds yet? Good lord those were a handful.

[quote author=Lars link=board=2;threadid=12645;start=msg121273#msg121273 date=1079322832]
Did you unbolt the exhaust manifolds yet? Good lord those were a handful.
[/quote]

Got lucky there, all the studs came out with the nuts. The manifolds lifted right off the pipes. This way I can leave the exhaust intact. The book wanted you to pull the front cat and pipe so the manifold would slide off the studs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom