Head freeze plug turns into head gasket replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Adding some random pictures of the block and head gasket.

20210218_211456.jpg

20210218_211343.jpg

Coolant passages definitely need a lot of attention. And lots of carbon.

20210218_211510.jpg

Only removed gasket, have not started cleaning.

20210218_212214.jpg

20210218_212325.jpg

20210218_212306.jpg

Wow.....that thing looks terrible. You have your work cut out for you.

Wow.....that thing looks terrible. You have your work cut out for you.

Yes, glad I'm doing the head gasket before a failure. Well, no one is ever "glad" to do a head gasket, but you know what I mean.

Yes, glad I'm doing the head gasket before a failure. Well, no one is ever "glad" to do a head gasket, but you know what I mean.

Know exactly what you mean.

I guess I am shocked to see how 'blocked' so many of those passages are. I'm sure you were too.

I known you'll get it all cleaned up and properly sorted out though.

Great pics.

Know exactly what you mean.

I guess I am shocked to see how 'blocked' so many of those passages are. I'm sure you were too.

I known you'll get it all cleaned up and properly sorted out though.

Great pics.

Thanks! I am thinking part of the issue is that it was converted from green to red by PO. I have changed the coolant probably 6 times in 5 years and still saw silt. Still shocked at how clogged it was though.

Probably a dumb question but I've always thought that decking the head was only needed if the gasket went or there was suspicion of warpage, or is there just no way to get it off with out it not being completely flat in the end?

I'm hoping it doesn't have to be decked. I don't suspect warpage. I am taking it to get the typical head work done and have it checked out.

There is definitely an imprint from the gasket on the block. I'm not trying to smooth it out completely, just clean off the residue and clean out the channels.

I'm hoping it doesn't have to be decked. I don't suspect warpage. I am taking it to get the typical head work done and have it checked out.

There is definitely an imprint from the gasket on the block. I'm not trying to smooth it out completely, just clean off the residue and clean out the channels.

It won't ever be completely clean, there will be 'small' pits, stains, imprints. The OEM head gasket will easily seal these (provided your deck surface is not extreme).

Mine looked like this after cleaning:

Block Prep1.jpg

Clean Block.jpg

Clean Block1.jpg

Unfortunately, the head was cracked beyond repair. Put out several requests for a good used head.

This sucks.

Unfortunately, the head was cracked beyond repair. Put out several requests for a good used head.

This sucks.
Buy a NEW Toyota head and take all the valves and parts from your old head to install on it.

Buy a NEW Toyota head and take all the valves and parts from your old head to install on it.

I have considered that, but $1500+ is a little tough before seeing what else might be out there. I am thankful that's an option.

This sucks.

Bummer. Just keeps getting worse and worse.

Bummer. Just keeps getting worse and worse.

Yes. Trying to stay positive by thinking it forced me to dive into the head gasket replacement. Also lots of new parts that will last for years.

Still working on everything - you all know how any project turns into 1000 "while you're in there" items.

Here's list of what I've done to-date:

Original head was cracked. Got another one - had one spot that had to be fluxed. Can't even see it. Everything else checked out great, valve job with new seals.
Got the gasket kit to replace a lot of things I had just done
Sourced like-new exhaust manifolds. Removed rough edges and used KBS hi-temp zinc silicon primer for rust resistance
New Toyota exhaust manifold heat shields
Removed rear heat and new heater valve
Got a '95-'97 coolant pipe to straighten out bend since I already removed PAIR
Since I run a CAI, I got the Delta washer bottle relocation kit. Also replaced washer pump and diverter valve
New OE starter
New OE alternator
New OE water pump
New oil cooler
New distributor (mine had leaking internal seal - not external o-ring), cap, rotor, plugs and wires
Cleaned all aluminum and used corrosion resistant treatment
Replaced aluminum coolant pipes and o-rings and new OE thermostat
Sent off injectors to Mr Injector - all came back cleaned and clear bill of health (and only broke one connector)
New OE fuel pressure regulator
Had already replaced all the hoses under the intake manifold
Cleaned and treated upper and lower intake manifolds (considering clear coating with KBS Diamond Clear)
Replaced power steering cooler with dual pass finned aluminum cooler (USA made Racing Power Company), replaced hoses and new OE reservoir
Wrapped A/C line by exhaust and main harness at firewall with Heatshield Products lava tube.
New hood supports
New mil-spec battery terminals
Replaced virtually all hardware that came off with new
Of course, new belts

I had already done the fuel filter, PHH, PHH Neighbor and HuddExpo EGR disable in the month before the catastrophe. I cleaned a lot and put some 6M1 bling on the valve cover. Hoping to start re-assembling this weekend.

20210419_143418.jpg

Still working on everything - you all know how any project turns into 1000 "while you're in there" items.

Here's list of what I've done to-date:

Original head was cracked. Got another one - had one spot that had to be fluxed. Can't even see it. Everything else checked out great, valve job with new seals.
Got the gasket kit to replace a lot of things I had just done
Sourced like-new exhaust manifolds. Removed rough edges and used KBS hi-temp zinc silicon primer for rust resistance
New Toyota exhaust manifold heat shields
Removed rear heat and new heater valve
Got a '95-'97 coolant pipe to straighten out bend since I already removed PAIR
Since I run a CAI, I got the Delta washer bottle relocation kit. Also replaced washer pump and diverter valve
New OE starter
New OE alternator
New OE water pump
New oil cooler
New distributor (mine had leaking internal seal - not external o-ring), cap, rotor, plugs and wires
Cleaned all aluminum and used corrosion resistant treatment
Replaced aluminum coolant pipes and o-rings and new OE thermostat
Sent off injectors to Mr Injector - all came back cleaned and clear bill of health (and only broke one connector)
New OE fuel pressure regulator
Had already replaced all the hoses under the intake manifold
Cleaned and treated upper and lower intake manifolds (considering clear coating with KBS Diamond Clear)
Replaced power steering cooler with dual pass finned aluminum cooler (USA made Racing Power Company), replaced hoses and new OE reservoir
Wrapped A/C line by exhaust and main harness at firewall with Heatshield Products lava tube.
New hood supports
New mil-spec battery terminals
Replaced virtually all hardware that came off with new
Of course, new belts

I had already done the fuel filter, PHH, PHH Neighbor and HuddExpo EGR disable in the month before the catastrophe. I cleaned a lot and put some 6M1 bling on the valve cover. Hoping to start re-assembling this weekend.

View attachment 2660452

DANG..............you really did dive in there.

somebody.jpg

Thought I would add some reference pictures and info in case anyone ever needed them.

Routing of stuff through and around the lower intake manifold

20210213_145558.jpg

20210213_150407.jpg

Block after using ATD carbide scrapers and using 100% lint free wipes on cylinders.

20210511_143823.jpg

20210511_142434.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom