Head freeze plug turns into head gasket replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Getting page error that I'm out of memory. Will post some more later.

Small stress crack that was welded. Machinist believes that head bolt removal was not sequenced correctly (this is replacement head for my cracked in multiple places one)

20210512_134358_Fotor.jpg

Thinking I don't ever want to pull the main harness out through the firewall and lower manifold again, I did the cutting

20210515_163627_Fotor.jpg

20210515_164310_Fotor.jpg

Sensor locations on head

20210515_184326_Fotor.jpg

Cut away tape and cover for main harness where it passes EGR pipe. Had two wires that had some heat marks, but no real damage. Wrapped in Super 88 electrical tape and then covered with Heat Shield Products Lava Tube (hook and loop wrap). Secured with stainless steel zip ties.

20210515_203543_Fotor.jpg

20210515_210415_Fotor.jpg

New fuel pressure regulator. Used a product called "Aluma Brite" on the aluminum parts. It's marketed purpose is primarily to take corrosion off aluminum boat pontoons. I replaced most hardware with stainless steel. I used blue thread locker to prevent galling. Had one broken injector clip (#6) and the wires were in bad enough shape - ordered some replacements with pigtails from @slow95z

20210516_145341_Fotor.jpg

Painted valve cover in Toyota 6M1. Cleared in KBS Diamond Coat - which sucks. It was soft enough that it deformed around the valve cover bolts. By the way, went with all new Toyota valve cover bolts and tightened to 108 in-lbs. Seemed to be right (saw previous posts that listed it at either 9 or 8 ft-lbs).

20210516_183313_Fotor.jpg

20210517_131858_Fotor.jpg

I am taking my time working on getting it all back together.

Got most everything back on. Here's a picture with the KBS High Temp Silicone Zinc on the exhaust headers and the lower part of the EGR body. I have soaked a lot of stuff in Evaporust or the aluminum cleaner.

One note - put the engine lift point on before you do the fuel rail, that was derpy on my part and now I will have to wiggle the bolts in.

I put on the '95-'97 heater pipe that runs above the exhaust manifold and, since I removed the PAIR, I used the '95-'97 pipe that runs above the crank pulley and hooks into the engine lift point.

Now, here's the wrench in the works - I'm probably only an hour away from it running but I took off the windshield cowl and found some rust under the weatherstripping. So I'm taking out the windshield next week and addressing that issue.

20210601_175539_Fotor.jpg

And a huge thank you to @NLXTACY and @slow95z for keeping our rigs going.

These is the cat heat shield I got from @slow95z compared to what came off the truck. Huge difference! I then prepped and painted the KBS Silicone Zinc as well.

20210518_150940_Fotor.jpg

Here's the intake manifold after cleaning with Alumabrite and a Dremel with a stainless wire brush

20210531_211001_Fotor.jpg

I actually got everything put back together. Timing is off and I have a huge leak at the timing chain tensioner. Replacement parts on order, then I'll address the timing. For some reason, the timing always kicks my ass.

I went with a Vacmotion catch can for the PCV hose, if anyone is looking for a smaller option.

20210622_133950_Fotor.jpg

So far, I am pleased with the KBS High Temp silicone zinc primer for the manifolds. Also went with the '95-'97 heater pipe . Cleaned and polished the throttle body. I bypassed the rear heater, removed the hard lines and the rear heater. I used stainless hex-keyed studs for the old PAIR (now O2) spots on the manifolds.

20210620_171138_Fotor.jpg

I took off the cat heat shields and tossed them. They were rusty. The new ones from @slow95z cleaned right up and I painted them with the KBS High Temp silicone zinc primer as well. I took off the bolt on heat shield, which was very rusty. Left it in Evaporust for a few days. Cleaned it up and painted it with Seymour MRO high gloss black. Replaced hardware with stainless. Found some rust behind that heat shield, along the seam. Removed it and covered that whole seam behind the heat shield with Woolwax. The glare from the photo is because the Seymour paint is super shiny.

20210702_170851_Fotor.jpg

I also did the Delta washer bottle relocation. I found this cut wire by the firewall - any idea what it is?

20210701_232704_Fotor.jpg

So far, I am pleased with the KBS High Temp silicone zinc primer for the manifolds. Also went with the '95-'97 heater pipe . Cleaned and polished the throttle body. I bypassed the rear heater, removed the hard lines and the rear heater. I used stainless hex-keyed studs for the old PAIR (now O2) spots on the manifolds.

View attachment 2725072

Man.....you've got that thing looking GOOD..........! 👍

Did you coat the throttle body after polish? I like to make things very clean when i go in so i know where i was later. I also think it makes it easier to find problems later.

Did you coat the throttle body after polish? I like to make things very clean when i go in so i know where i was later. I also think it makes it easier to find problems later.

I did not. What do you recommend?

Ha i was hoping to get that from you. I don't know how good a clear engine paint will stick to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom