Yes, glad I'm doing the head gasket before a failure. Well, no one is ever "glad" to do a head gasket, but you know what I mean.
Know exactly what you mean.
I guess I am shocked to see how 'blocked' so many of those passages are. I'm sure you were too.
I known you'll get it all cleaned up and properly sorted out though.
I'm hoping it doesn't have to be decked. I don't suspect warpage. I am taking it to get the typical head work done and have it checked out.
There is definitely an imprint from the gasket on the block. I'm not trying to smooth it out completely, just clean off the residue and clean out the channels.
Still working on everything - you all know how any project turns into 1000 "while you're in there" items.
Here's list of what I've done to-date:
Original head was cracked. Got another one - had one spot that had to be fluxed. Can't even see it. Everything else checked out great, valve job with new seals.
Got the gasket kit to replace a lot of things I had just done
Sourced like-new exhaust manifolds. Removed rough edges and used KBS hi-temp zinc silicon primer for rust resistance
New Toyota exhaust manifold heat shields
Removed rear heat and new heater valve
Got a '95-'97 coolant pipe to straighten out bend since I already removed PAIR
Since I run a CAI, I got the Delta washer bottle relocation kit. Also replaced washer pump and diverter valve
New OE starter
New OE alternator
New OE water pump
New oil cooler
New distributor (mine had leaking internal seal - not external o-ring), cap, rotor, plugs and wires
Cleaned all aluminum and used corrosion resistant treatment
Replaced aluminum coolant pipes and o-rings and new OE thermostat
Sent off injectors to Mr Injector - all came back cleaned and clear bill of health (and only broke one connector)
New OE fuel pressure regulator
Had already replaced all the hoses under the intake manifold
Cleaned and treated upper and lower intake manifolds (considering clear coating with KBS Diamond Clear)
Replaced power steering cooler with dual pass finned aluminum cooler (USA made Racing Power Company), replaced hoses and new OE reservoir
Wrapped A/C line by exhaust and main harness at firewall with Heatshield Products lava tube.
New hood supports
New mil-spec battery terminals
Replaced virtually all hardware that came off with new
Of course, new belts
I had already done the fuel filter, PHH, PHH Neighbor and HuddExpo EGR disable in the month before the catastrophe. I cleaned a lot and put some 6M1 bling on the valve cover. Hoping to start re-assembling this weekend.
View attachment 2660452