HDJ81 Starting Issue (SOLVED!!!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

VCT Circuits waits for +12V across 4&7, then

One other question, where is the +12VDC input signal for this coming from for pin #4?

Disregard. I got the schematic out. But I’m wondering if this fusible link had blown I wouldn’t get the +12VDC signal from the VCR to the VCT therefore maybe that’s why the ground signal is not triggering?

I’ll check tomorrow.

5777DA66-A836-4818-9841-03AF7BF5181F.jpeg

Last edited:
I now have a correctly starting Land Cruiser. The +12VDC signal to the VCT was not occurring to pull in the starter relay.

And that would be because I incorrectly installed it on the “E” post of the VCR and not on the +1 post. So my month of troubleshooting was all self caused. On the bright side I am now infinitely more knowledgeable about my HDJ than I ever was.

:cheers: Major thanks to gte343z :clap: for his excellent troubleshooting information, 1 little spark got me realigned and on track.:beer:

Last edited:
I now have a correctly starting Land Cruiser. The +12VDC signal to the VCT was not occurring to pull in the starter relay.

And that would be because I incorrectly installed it on the “E” post of the VCR and not on the +1 post. So my month of troubleshooting was all self caused. On the bright side I am now infinitely more knowledgeable about my HDJ than I ever was.

:cheers: Major thanks to gte343z :clap: for his excellent troubleshooting information, 1 little spark got me realigned and on track.:beer:

Ahhhh! That's the worst! Chasing ghosts, then realising you set the ghost loose yourself!

At least you got it sorted.

I’m having this same no start issue. When I turn the key I hear several relay clicks but no start. It will start if I jump pin 7 & 3 on the VCT. Before trying source a new VCT what are the reasons the VCT wouldn’t receive a signal to start?

I’m having this same no start issue. When I turn the key I hear several relay clicks but no start. It will start if I jump pin 7 & 3 on the VCT. Before trying source a new VCT what are the reasons the VCT wouldn’t receive a signal to start?
+12VDC is provided to the VCT by pin “E” on the combining relay. Have you checked voltages there?

+12VDC is provided to the VCT by pin “E” on the combining relay. Have you checked voltages there?
I’m getting about 1.6V at the “E” post on the VCR. Also, a new symptom, the VCR is now “buzzing”. The contacts keep rapidly switching I think.

Just posting an update here just in case it helps someone. My cruiser starts as it should. My problem was the battery terminals. They were so worn out that when they were "tight" they still weren't properly tight so the system wasn't getting the voltage it needed. Thanks for all the information posted here, it may not have been related to my issue but like IDZens has posted before, I feel infinitely more knowledgeable about the starting system on the truck. :cheers:

The best is to delete that 12/24v conversion relay and throw in a 3kw or 3.5kw starter

Hi all, piggybacking on this thread as I'm having many of the same issues.

I was driving my HDJ81 and noticed-while still driving-that all the gauges except the fuel gauge and speedometer stopped working. Radio was still working, truck's clock as well, blinkers etc all were still working. The windows did not work. When I turned the truck off and tried to turn it back on, nothing. No clicking, nothing. Here's what I know:
- both batteries are fine, showing 12+ volts, and all electrical I mentioned above still work (radio, headlights, etc). Turning the key turns on all accessories, but gauges don't turn on, I just get the warning light above the voltage gauge.
- I checked all fuses in the main relay box and power outlet box, and all connections I could check, all seem fine.
- Measured voltage to the starter, it was at ~12v (though didn't check when trying to turn the car on (been doing this solo so far)
- I managed to run 12v from the starter battery to the starter relay, and got the starter to click/engage, but nothing beyond that

This is as far as I've gotten, beyond reading all related threads I can find on IH8MUD and the engine/chassis manuals, but don't feel like I know how to do much beyond this, such as check for continuity at the starter relay, VCT or VTR or NSS (I don't even know where the latter 2 are or what they look like!). Given this happened while driving, and the truck drove fine after it happened, and the only thing NOT working is the ignition, I'm inclined to think its the ignition switch. But I don't feel like I know how to check this, and of course don't want to go throwing money at something without knowing the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially since I can't find a single shop anywhere near me that's willing to even take a look...

Hi all, piggybacking on this thread as I'm having many of the same issues.

I was driving my HDJ81 and noticed-while still driving-that all the gauges except the fuel gauge and speedometer stopped working. Radio was still working, truck's clock as well, blinkers etc all were still working. The windows did not work. When I turned the truck off and tried to turn it back on, nothing. No clicking, nothing. Here's what I know:
- both batteries are fine, showing 12+ volts, and all electrical I mentioned above still work (radio, headlights, etc). Turning the key turns on all accessories, but gauges don't turn on, I just get the warning light above the voltage gauge.
- I checked all fuses in the main relay box and power outlet box, and all connections I could check, all seem fine.
- Measured voltage to the starter, it was at ~12v (though didn't check when trying to turn the car on (been doing this solo so far)
- I managed to run 12v from the starter battery to the starter relay, and got the starter to click/engage, but nothing beyond that

This is as far as I've gotten, beyond reading all related threads I can find on IH8MUD and the engine/chassis manuals, but don't feel like I know how to do much beyond this, such as check for continuity at the starter relay, VCT or VTR or NSS (I don't even know where the latter 2 are or what they look like!). Given this happened while driving, and the truck drove fine after it happened, and the only thing NOT working is the ignition, I'm inclined to think its the ignition switch. But I don't feel like I know how to check this, and of course don't want to go throwing money at something without knowing the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially since I can't find a single shop anywhere near me that's willing to even take a look...
Hey! Considering the fact that you have more electrical issues than just starting I’m thinking it’s more than just the ignition switch. I remember reading a thread with similar issues when I was troubleshooting this. They’re problem was the plug/connection underneath the windshield washer reservoir. The wires beneath had become corroded causing the no start issue as well as other problems. I’d pull the reservoir and take a look!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom