HDJ81 Cruise Control Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1991 HDJ81 and I'm having cruiser control issues. When I click the cruiser button to engage, the light will turn on. I'll set the cruise at a certain speed and some times it will work, some times it will not. When it does work and the cruise control sets it will only stay set for a few minutes. Then the cruise control light will start to blink on and off and then I won't be able to turn it back on until I've turned off the vehicle and turned it back on again.

Does anyone know what might be the issue?

Thanks!!

Do you have a copy of the factory service manual? that can help troubleshoot the issue.

X2, the FSM will have step by step troubleshooting to diagnose the issue, and how to repair. It's available for free download various places online.

While this thread is inactive, I'm sure others will continue searching for info on the cruise control. I don't have solution, but I have the exact same symptoms as described by Andrew. I changed the speed control sensor to no avail. Still hoping some else may have identified this problem and post back?
I have other fish to fry right now with my 1hdt rebuild. Cheers

My cruiser control light on the dash turns on with the button, but the cruise doesn't engage at all. I have read that aftermarket tail lights can affect this, which my cruiser came with aftermarket LED tail lights. Not sure what the fix for this is though.

Thanks @Turbobrick211 - thats interesting. I've thought the brake signal isnt involved cause of the flashing error code but who knows. For a period of time mine would set then after a short while (like 5 mins) just kick off with the flasing error. Then lately it wouldn't set at all. At some point I'll try go through diagnostics in the manual. I'll try another CC module if I can find one cheap, then move on from there I guess. The time delay to kicking off makes me wonder if it involved some kind of thermally induced circuit interuption in the module thats now permanent. Fackin gremlins.
Cheers

1990 Hdj81 auto

Do you have a trailer wiring adapter installed? I found that anytime mine was connected to the light circuit it would cancel my cruise every time i used the turn signal. I now only plug the wiring adapter in when I'm going to pull a trailer.

I have a wiring harness for towing, but i have never used it. So, when you used your turn signal it cancelled cruise, but did it throw the flashing error or were you able to reset without restarting the engine? Thats interesting @Dork, I hadnt considered towing wiring as a possible source for shorting the cruise. Cheers

I have not installed the trailer harness yet. I just installed a hitch, and bought the direct plug in harness. But, I'm thinking it is the led tail/brake lights causing the problem. Probably need to install some resistors.

I have a wiring harness for towing, but i have never used it. So, when you used your turn signal it cancelled cruise, but did it throw the flashing error or were you able to reset without restarting the engine? Thats interesting @Dork, I hadnt considered towing wiring as a possible source for shorting the cruise. Cheers

If the wiring adapter is hooked up, i can use cruise, but if i hit the turn signal it cancels, just like as if i pushed the brake. Then i can just set it again and it will work. I believe it's due to the cheapo adapter that "blends" the turn and brake signals into one light for the trailer is somehow back feeding and triggering the brake sensor in the cruise module. Apparently the hall effect sensor type of adapter don't suffer that problem.

Not saying it's your problem, though. Just my own anecdotal experience.

My truck came with LED brake lights when i imported it, but the turn signals and reverse are old bulbs, fwiw.

Still on my to do list - so I never solved my cruise control issue yet. Will try to update here once my truck is running again. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom