HDJ81 Baseline (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m the new owner of a 97 HDJ81. I’ve been trying to find a comprehensive list of baseline maintenance for the 1HD-FT and I haven’t found much. The 1FZ-FE has a ton of information and consolidated threads with all the preventative maintenance to do. Am I just not finding it? Thanks for any help.

Mileage? What's the maintenance history, if any?

I think they fixed the BEB issue on these engines? There was another thread here that went into details on this within the last 6 months.

Mileage? What's the maintenance history, if any?

I think they fixed the BEB issue on these engines? There was another thread here that went into details on this within the last 6 months.
It has about 130xxx miles and I have almost 0 maintenance history besides the stickers for trans and T-Belt. I’m tracking the BEB issues. If you can find that thread you were talking about, you’d be my hero.

This is the one I thought was interesting:

you can use this maintenance schedule as a guide
Maintenance schedule
1662666565465.png

or this one for the 105 series as its very similar

Attachments

• maintenance-schedule-land-cruiser-105-series.pdf
    122.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
That's a good list. There's not really too much specific to the engine itself. I'd say air filter because these things suck a lot of air with the turbo and oil & filter (I'm now running 20-50 and that has eliminated all oil consumption which was pretty bad with 15-40). Injectors and valves are probably overdue, IP might be due.

Has the aneroid pin/tune been adjusted? Mine was dangerously tuned and overheated often, lucky I didn't ruin it!

It's really more about what this thing should have had from the factory, like an EGT gauge. Lots of info here on what the order of addition should be for mods. I added the 14-in-1 gauge from JustRace and have been really happy with it.

That's a good list. There's not really too much specific to the engine itself. I'd say air filter because these things suck a lot of air with the turbo and oil & filter (I'm now running 20-50 and that has eliminated all oil consumption which was pretty bad with 15-40). Injectors and valves are probably overdue, IP might be due.

Has the aneroid pin/tune been adjusted? Mine was dangerously tuned and overheated often, lucky I didn't ruin it!

It's really more about what this thing should have had from the factory, like an EGT gauge. Lots of info here on what the order of addition should be for mods. I added the 14-in-1 gauge from JustRace and have been really happy with it.

EGT gauge is a must I wish it came factory
I currently have a glowshift 3-in-1 gauge does boost/egt/temp. I use the temp to monitor trans temp.

Wideband/lambda gauge is nice but I see it as only a tuning aide.

Kinda wish I got a egt with a high temp alarm

I’m planning to be swapping out my glowshift with a Banks Power idash datamonster no obd.

I’d like to additionally monitor air density/turbo speed/Afr/lambda all from one gauge.

BanksPower datamonster

That Banks setup looks slick....not sure I'd like the color and potentially brightness associated with it, but it's a nice unit that I never came across when looking for systems 3-4 years ago. Thanks for the info.

EGT gauge is a must I wish it came factory
I currently have a glowshift 3-in-1 gauge does boost/egt/temp. I use the temp to monitor trans temp.

Wideband/lambda gauge is nice but I see it as only a tuning aide.

Kinda wish I got a egt with a high temp alarm

I’m planning to be swapping out my glowshift with a Banks Power idash datamonster no obd.

I’d like to additionally monitor air density/turbo speed/Afr/lambda all from one gauge.

BanksPower datamonster
That looks great. Anyone running this on a 1HD-T?

you can use this maintenance schedule as a guide
Maintenance schedule
View attachment 3109531
or this one for the 105 series as its very similar

I would do this entire list, regardless of condition. The only hard piece (or rather, time-consuming) is the timing belt, and you mentioned that was up to date already. The rest you can do in a quick afternoon.

Also the air filter. Thermostat is a common replacement as well. Recharge the A/C freon if needed.

If you want to dig in, you might consider removing the valve cover and cleaning out the PCV/EGR system. I don't know how prone to intake gunking the HD engines are, but most direct injection diesels suffer from it, as the fuel no longer cleans the intake for you.

Delete the EGR while your at it

This is great information, thank you guys. I’m definitely printing out that maintenance schedule. So it’s pretty much just normal maintenance and an EGR delete? EGT is definitely on the list before it’s bigger turbo time. I was really hoping there wouldn’t be another PHH type situation like the 1FZ and it sounds like the -FT doesn’t really.

I guess I was really just looking to see if there were any “ticking time bombs” or things you just expect to do beyond basic maintenance like my 1FZ had. I meant things like the oil pump gasket, PHH, getting P0401 to go away or the bearings like the 1HD-T. After about 1500 miles my kick-down cable BROKE, alternator quit and oil pressure gauge is goofy. Oil pressure is good at the sender port so no big deal. Really not bad at all for 25 years old.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom