HD front recovery points (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After thinking more about this, I'm going another route. So mine are up for grabs....already painted and ready. $85 includes the ride. pM if you want to buy and I will get you my paypal.
What route is that?

ARB or back to stock. My stock ones were already scraped up as I do a good bit of off roading and the tundras are a bit lower hanging. For stock bumpers this won't really be an issue and I believe these hooks would be a great upgrade. However the ARB front bumper produced a better approach angle and these tundras hooks may be a limiting factor. Those are my thoughts.

David, good response... Here's a few measurements, and some observations that may assist us here. The Tundra unit has approximately 24% more material in the length of the bowl. The four welds connecting the loop to the bowl are 18% longer on the Tundra. These bends are also much closer to the minimum bend radius of the material, if not surpassing it in a couple of sections. Whereas the Tundra piece is easily 2X MBR. The welds that hold the loop to the bowl are much closer and partially on the bends with the Land Cruiser unit.

As for the pullover, as mentioned before, an additional bracket bolted over (or under if looking at it on the vehicle) the two mounting bolts and run back along the frame will eliminate all issues there. If anyone has concerns for this area, I will develop a such a bracket and supply at cost.

In our litigious society, I find it difficult to accept that Toyota would place an inferior recovery point on a significantly higher volume vehicle that will see more off road abuse.

It may also be time to begin looking at moving the front recovery points up to a higher location. They will be easier access and eliminate impact issues.

Last edited:
In our litigious society, I find it difficult to accept that Toyota would place an inferior recovery point on a significantly higher volume vehicle that will see more off road abuse.

Whereas I agree we live in a litigious society, I'm not sure I agree with the statement above. I think the key point is the fact that there is a significantly higher volume of sales on the Tundra - and that's where Toyota makes it money - hence every penny saved is important to the profitability of that product - and the company. I would find it hard to believe that Toyota would place an inferior hook on their flagship off-road vehicle that serves a broader, worldwide community of people who need it to perform on a daily basis versus most of us who off-road for fun on weekends. It wouldn't surprise me to learn the tow hooks for the Tundra were made larger simply for aesthetic reasons - it's looks more proportional to the vehicle. My guess is that both hooks perform very well for the vehicle they were designed for.

And to circle back to the litigious fact (and this is a generalization just for fun)...I'd tend to think the people buying $80K vehicles from Toyota have easier access to excellent, very well paid attorneys! :)

All done, thanks btuman.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1440181652.739835.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1440181665.820509.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. Everyone's a winner.

Thanks to @bjowett I'm sporting the HD Tundra recovery points as well.
Upon receipt, here's what I did:
- Chemical strip
- Scraped
- Rinsed with denatured alcohol
- Self-etching primer
- 6 light coats of RustOleum Safety Red (already had it for touch-ups on a snowblower)

Since my LC is Salsa Red, I was not sure how the Safety Red would match. So far, not too bad, but I may end up going black or gray depending on the bumper/winch/factor 55 prolink choice down the road.

2016-04-24 15.01.27.jpg

2016-04-24 15.01.19.jpg

Looks nice!

Decided to go ahead and color up the rear recovery point. Not an upgrade of any sort, nor would it match the front OEM or Tundra HD recovery points - the spacing of the mounts is not the same. Just a good use of leftover rattle can ;)

20160505_172405.jpg

Just looking' for something to do, eh? ;)
Looks nice!

Will the Tundra recovery loops mount on a 80 series without modification? (Direct bolt-on?) I thought I saw a thread someplace that mentioned modifying the holes on the Tundra loops to fit on a 80, but I can't seem to find it. I'd like to grab a set of these if they fit, as the PO of mine removed the OEMs altogether.

gd day hope it would be ok to ask for pictures of what any one did with the read recovery points in my car there are 2 1 of them is small and hidden i need it to be out too

thanks

I put these on my '13 LC today. I know it's been well described here, but I didn't recall a picture of one compared to the other on the vehicle. I also took a picture of both compared to my hand to show how enormous the Tundra recovery point is. My hands barely fit into XXL gloves. I'm happy with how they look. Bought them on Amazon - Genuine Toyota 51960-0C011 Tow Hook Assembly, Front.

Recovery Points.jpeg

Does anyone have their original LC hooks still laying around? I’m looking for two if so. LMK

All of the above begs the question:has anyone had the stock units fail? I've seen reports of stronger points causing issues?

Looking for a set of tundra hooks if anyone has a couple they'd part with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom