has anyone broke a set of 5.29s in a V6 carrier...easily? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.maxx-racing.com
My 4runner has a set of 4.88s & Detroit locker that are starting to make some noise, I have a set of 5.29 w/detroit locker that I can put in and I was wondering what the frequency of breakage is with the 5.29 gears...I am adding a 1UZFE V8 in the next couple of months so I was worried about the added HP when I upgrade to the V8

The 4runner came with 4.87 gears in it(auto) and by putting the set out of my 88 4runner that I had built with a detroit and added 4.88s (88 manuals came with 4.10s) I didnt gain any gearing at all, (I run a 255/85/16 which measure out at around 34.4) so I know the 5.29s will wake this up and get me back close to normal.

did you break your 5.29 in a V6 diff and what were you doing at the time?

3 trucks w/ 5.29's. Two with "ultimate" crawlers. Nothing broken yet. I think torque is going to be a larger concern for you than HP.

I set the rearends up for alot of rockcrawlers and the 5.29s are my most common breakage ratio. Never see the 4.88s blow except one that had 38s and a 350 in front of it. The 5.29s are thin and it seems the pinions loose the teeth and the ring eats em. I've started to set the rearends up where the pinion depth goes into the ring gear deeper where the contact area is in thicker metal but wouldn't recommend street use because it'll be noisy. I had 5.29s in my Toyota crawler but was easy on it and didn't break anything w/ 37' tires.

I'll throw this out there even though I run 4.56 stock gears. I've broken 5 sets of gears. All of my failures occured on the street but could have started on the trail. You can over power any v6 gearset, running higher hp and "gettin it" can kill about anything 4.10 through 5.71. The biggest problem I have found in ring/pinion gear deflection or case spreading, if your preloads is not perfect you can get deflection. Then you get the big explodo. Another thing to note is all my failures have been sheared teeth on the ring not on the pinion.

The biggest problem I have found in ring/pinion gear deflection or case spreading, if your preloads is not perfect you can get deflection.

I'm glad you said that I've been chewing on something eversince I took mt T-100 diff out years ago.

I dont know the exact word for them but can you up-grade the bearing caps on the non ? thingies to the thingie bearing caps found on the H.D diff bearing caps?

there all 8" AFAIK even though Toyota calls them 8.4"

theres pic's on name that diff thread........."Toyota axle i.d"#11

for some unknowwn computer F&*ing problem I cannot get the pic to show 2 u, sorry

2nd gens got it

Last edited:
The link Jerod posted is a great resource. I've set all my carries up to nearly zero carrier bearing preload. I blew a 4.30 front R&P and after that I'm not screwing around with the chance of having to much deflection.

Also don't screw arond with cheap gears such as Genuine Gear and make sure pinion depth is set properly for a good contact area.

broken gears

I have put 5 sets in mine yukon gears we are done with them went to motive gear. let you know how they do
The link Jerod posted is a great resource. I've set all my carries up t 10 onths o nearly zero carrier bearing preload. I blew a 4.30 front R&P and after that I'm gears not screwing around with the chance of having to much deflection.

Also don't screw arond with cheap gears such as Genuine Gear and make sure pinion depth is set properly for a good contact area.

Yukon (the house brand of Randy's R&P) has at least two different brands, maybe more. The only Yukons I've used were US Gear, top quality.

gears

The biggest two factors are 1) driver 2) setup. In most cases that gears have broken it is because either the diff was not set up correctly to begin with or has loosened up. The carrier bearings spin on the carrier in many cases and loosen up the carrer preload leading to deflection then breakage. I have set up over 4000 differentials and overseen the setup of around 20,000 differentials, and have only seen a handful that were broken as a result of a "bad gear".

i dont have nothin but stock gears. A guy I work with has a 4Runner with a 350 in it. he had 4.10's in it . he was out wheelin, and the sprag gear in the trans borke, causing the engine to over rev, and then it caught again. that shaved the pinon down. Infact, that is the most freakish pinion I have ever seen. It is compltley smooth.

what im saying here, is the torque and horses a V-8 produces will kill anything. And since you plan on swapping in a 1UZFE, there is going to be that extra possibility of gear killing.

The shop I work at, we do a lot of Toyota 4x4 sh!t. Including lots of gears.
I have seen all flavors of ratios broke, but all of em broke under high power and heavy foot instances.

The boss man has a colossal samuri. he has a 350 in it and has been running 5.29's in it for a month now. We go wheelin every weekend. and so far its all good.
Infact he was powerbraking that thing in 2WD, when he twisted his diveshaft up like a wet towel. It was another freakish part. so we went to six states and had em fab a shaft from 0.83"

so the moral of the story is 5.29's are fine in all situations. but are more vournerable in ball to the wall thrashing.

heck, I'm going to slap some 5.29's in my yoter soon. :D

I've said it before, but I thing the reason people think 4.10's are stronger is because Toyota knows how to set up diffs (Most 4.10's on the road now are still original...), a lot of people/shops do not..... IE when changing ratios..... so 4.88/5.29's/5.71's... they must be weak!!! :rolleyes: because: "I set them up right..."

I've said it before, but I thing the reason people think 4.10's are stronger is because Toyota knows how to set up diffs (Most 4.10's on the road now are still original...), a lot of people/shops do not..... IE when changing ratios..... so 4.88/5.29's/5.71's... they must be weak!!! :rolleyes: because: "I set them up right..."

that is VERY true.

just a little error in the pinion will spell disaster.

this assumption people make may be based entirely on installation error.

but i think i gave a good expanation, and senario in my last post :D

Yes, lots of power + lower gearing + bigger tires = Snap! What do you want it's a mini truck! :D They weren't really meant to run 37 inch tires......

but 37" tires look soooooo good! :doh:

I had my 5.29 yukon's set up by a guy Randy's recommened out of UTAH, and I am running the 2000 V6 4runner rear housing, and an FJ80 Hi-pinion Housing up front, . (running Marlin's dual cases w/ 4.7's), and about 160HP out of my 22RE, and Dual Toy e-lockers, with and have not had any issues at all.

My .02 worth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom