Has Anyone Been to the Salt River Canyon Wilderness Area? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
leeobrien.blogspot.com
I want to scope out the land just east of the Sierra Ancha Wilderness Area and north of the Salt River. It’s an area east of Roosevelt Lake, south of Young, and west of Salt River and Coon Creek. By heading north out of Globe on 88, go north on 288 and exit east at Cherry Creek Road. Then it’s a matter of deciding which side/back road to Young.

(BTW – this is cross posted on two other boards.)

I've been out there because there are some Sinauga ruins way out on a bumpy trail. Nothing too hard but there are some water crossings and great scenery.

I was just tellin Brenda that I want to go back out there soon and revisit. :D

That is some remote country, worked back in there a few years back for SRP on the 500kv power lines that run down to the valley. If you are familiar with the rock house store at Roosevelt lake there is a road just past it that will take you up through that country all the way to bottle springs on the young rd. long drive but you can do it in a day. Hope that helps. If you want to know more let me know

the road that the rock house sits on will take you all the way to young, well groomed, you could make the trip by car

that's true rightlane, I'm talking of an unmaintained road that turns east just less than a mile past the rock house store, this road was built when the transmission lines were put in back in the 50's or 60's the road doesn't get much traffic so it can be a little washed out in places. If you take if from rockhouse store it will travel under the powerlines much of the way to the Mogollon rim.

Cherry Creek Road is very scenic. There's only 2 tricky spots on it and they're not tough. DO NOT travel that road when wet and/or muddy. It's been passable for some time now. Years ago it had been washed out at Cherry Creek for over a year. Natl Guard Humvees couldn't cross back then.

pfffft !! what you talkin bout shotts?? humvees, puulleez, thats no way to guage the dificulty or passability of a trail/road. i remember when it was washed out for a while, one of the times, it was more fun.

anyway, yeah i know the area fairly decent, explored ALOT of that country and have barely scratched the surface. i started exploring the area to learn about the old "family feud" but kept going back cause its so cool. i have a picture somewhere of my piggy up on the edge of a 100ft'ish dry waterfall.

If you go south just past the Rock store. I think its FR 333 it will take you down to river that feeds Roosevelt Lake. Stay to the right and you will end up at a large sand beach with some large cottonwood trees. Very nice place to camp and at one time it held the State record for Catfish. The road down is EZ except for 100yards requiring a high clearance and a little skinny pedal if you don’t use 4wd. Deep sand at the end weeds out the 2wd. Nice detour if you are in the area.

Here is a picture on the back road to Young a few years back after the spring run off.
FJ604th.jpg

RHINO said:
pfffft !! what you talkin bout shotts?? humvees, puulleez, thats no way to guage the dificulty or passability of a trail/road. i remember when it was washed out for a while, one of the times, it was more fun.

anyway, yeah i know the area fairly decent, explored ALOT of that country and have barely scratched the surface. i started exploring the area to learn about the old "family feud" but kept going back cause its so cool. i have a picture somewhere of my piggy up on the edge of a 100ft'ish dry waterfall.

Ohhh SLAM! :crybaby: :mad: :crybaby:
(Didn't think. I repeated what some friends told me about the wash out.)

xrock said:
I've been out there because there are some Sinauga ruins way out on a bumpy trail.

Are you sure they were Sinagua ruins? The Sinaguan culture is typically found in the area from Flagstaff to Camp Verde.

Sorry, my geeky archaeologist side coming out.

Good catch- They're Salado. Lost my head for a minute.

Fellow ruin explorer?

It's by roosevelt lake. Do a google search for ("salome canyon" jug). Some great pictures on the internet. Beautiful slot canyon. Used to be somewhat of a secret but definately not anymore. I camped there for 4 days one year and never saw a single soul. Last two times I was there it was a madhouse.

because this is a little related.....

the coon creek ranch hq is for sale if anybody is interested.

asking price is $1,750,000 for just shy of 87 acres

(before passing out at price, its a NF inholding and if you could trade it w/ FS for land in Show Low etc it might come close to this- trades take 3-7 years and 6 figure investment you have been warned)

PM me if you want to look at it (not my listing!)
rick donnelly
(I specialize in land + ranches)

that's some expensive real estate, would make a nice comission

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom