Has anybody seen this before… Grease spitting out the side (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just walked out to my car to find a ton a grease spot out along right side. I have no idea what’s going on, but it occasionally will do this at articulation when offroading (not as much as it did now). But Just spotted this now and haven’t been on the dirt in a week or so…
32BBB8C9-58F7-496F-BE24-DECB4732699E.jpeg

I would initially think too much grease in the the u-joints but the driveshaft is tucked up under there pretty good. You sure someone isn't following you around and every couple of weeks throwing grease on your car just to drive you insane?

So I am about to do a knuckle rebuild here in the next couple of days for a lot of reasons which you’ll probably see in the photos. Already got the kit here, just haven’t gotten to putting it in yet. The driver side birfield is seeping out thinner grease, but the grease was splattered on the passenger side of the car. It was slung around and was spread all around the wheel well. The more soupy looking one is the drivers side.
image.jpg
image.jpg

First photo looks more or less normal. Second photo os definitely birfield soup where gear oil is passing through the axle seal into the birfield cavity.

The grease on the side of the truck is green.

The grease and oil on the bottom of your front DS is brown/gray.

You are either driving over something that keeps getting slung onto the side from the tread of the tire or someone beside you is running over something and squirting it on your truck.

Are you using green grease (or whatever color that grease is on the side) ANYWHERE on the truck?

I thought it would be something I’ve driven over but this isn’t the first time it has happened. most of the time it’s when the axle is extended. I guess I’ll just find out when I crack open the knuckles for the rebuild.

I thought it would be something I’ve driven over but this isn’t the first time it has happened. most of the time it’s when the axle is extended. I guess I’ll just find out when I crack open the knuckles for the rebuild.
When the axle is extended? What does that mean?

Show a pic of the RR wheel and side of the truck.

Could a clogged axle breather and a bad axle seal cause a rupture of oil/grease when the felt wiper is closest to the open side of the knuckle...as in a sharp turn?

Front prop shaft purging excess grease from the slip joint?

Edit - On second thought I doubt airflow would carry anywhere near that much flung grease up the side, and you'd see way more under the truck inline with the source making it obvious.

Last edited:
This is not from your vehicle. There is no way you would get that amount of grease in that pattern on the SIDE of your rig. Its from someone or something else that you parked next to or drove next to.

The only time you will get grease down the side of your rig is if you blow your hub seal / studs, and all that did was put an evenly distributed speckle pattern down the side.
Everything else is pretty contained under the truck. This isn't like JFK's magic bullet here, the physics simply won't allow your under vehicle components to slop grease up on the side like that.

judging by the angle of the grease on the front door and how it looks thrown, you may have ran over a tube of grease on the highway. The splatter angle on the front door looks like it could've been projected from the tire.

The fact that the grease looks like it's moving down the truck towards the rear and each chunk has thinner legs that point to the back of the truck makes me think this happened at a higher speed. Everything looks wind-whipped. In fact, even the rear splatters have a direction to them, if you look at how the tails come off of the stuff that hit the rear door they point back to the front tire as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom