Builds Hardcore ROTM - PROJECT RASCAL - July 2005 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Texican said:
I'm thinkin' he's asking about the bend in this pic.
Butch

Yep that is the bend. I figure it must be for frame clearance. I just always notice bends in steering parts.

cruiserrg said:
Yep that is the bend. I figure it must be for frame clearance. I just always notice bends in steering parts.

That is the bend in the drag link to clear the frame when you stuff the front.

It is plenty strong, don't fret. This is in 2000 at 360.
P1010001.JPG

Texican said:
I'm thinkin' he's asking about the bend in this pic.
Butch

Doh, Sorry. New drag link - not old drag link. You are correct - but this is some stout stuff. Have you ever seen Nolen wheel? This axle/steering setup is truely trail tested...

Last edited:
Friday night:

No pics - too much work. Rebuilt and installed a Lokar auto shifter. I mistakenly ordered a floor mount and I needed a tranny mount. Nolen needed a floor mount and had a tranny mount - so we swapped. I disassembled, cleaned, lubed, reassembled and installed the shifter.

Test fitted a two piece high angle drive shaft from Jesse. It is about 1" too long. Looked long and hard at moving the entire engine/tranny/tcase back an inch and just do not have the room. Guess I need to look into getting it shortened or getting a new one... :mad:

Fabbed the frame plates, frame tabs, and 1 1/2 square tube for the tranny mount. Will finish it tomorrow.

I'll take some more pictures tomorrow.

Rascal said:
Friday night:

No pics - too much work. Rebuilt and installed a Lokar auto shifter. I mistakenly ordered a floor mount and I needed a tranny mount. Nolen needed a floor mount and had a tranny mount - so we swapped. I disassembled, cleaned, lubed, reassembled and installed the shifter.

Test fitted a two piece high angle drive shaft from Jesse. It is about 1" too long. Looked long and hard at moving the entire engine/tranny/tcase back an inch and just do not have the room. Guess I need to look into getting it shortened or getting a new one... :mad:

Fabbed the frame plates, frame tabs, and 1 1/2 square tube for the tranny mount. Will finish it tomorrow.

I'll take some more pictures tomorrow.

Shortened is easy. Lengthened is hard.

I will send it back for adjustments. Call me tomorrow.

Rascal said:
Friday night:

Can you drill another hole in the spring plates and move the axle forward an inch? :confused:

Texican said:
Can you drill another hole in the spring plates and move the axle forward an inch? :confused:

Man, if it is that close then he won't have any compression.

Like I said, getting it shortened is no sweat.

Hit it hard today.

Started off by finishing the transmission cross member. I was able to use a solid piece of 1 1/2 square tube. No cuts to weld in the 3/8th's plate like Woody used. Transmission pan is 1/2 in. babove the bottom of the frame rail. Atlas is about an inch above. Once it was built we proceeded to pull the drive train back out one more time so I could have better access to do all of the final welding. Once the welding was done I took a little time to clean up the frame and put some paint on it. Here's the final instal of the engine/700r4/atlas. :) Flat belly and the engine is as low as I could get it and keep it level and clear the steering ram.
IMG_0879-1.jpg
IMG_0880-1.jpg
IMG_0881-1.jpg

Then I decided to play for awhile installed the Lokar shifter and the Atlas Cable shifters. Still need to do sme adjusting. Has anyone installed a set of these shifters? If so - do you know the orientation of the shifter housing? Does the cable enter from the front of the box or the rear? I was too tired to think through it too much and the directions do not say...
IMG_0882-1.jpg
IMG_0883-1.jpg

Last picture. It's starting to look like a Cruiser again... :D
IMG_0877-1.jpg

soooo, when do you cut off the ass end????

Mace said:
soooo, when do you cut off the ass end????

I think I'm going to keep it for now... looking back at doing the Dove tail - I really like that look. Blame yourself for this - you got me started on it. ;)

Any progress?

lookin NICE Bruce!!

I keep toyin with the tube-out work on mine this winter....believe I may just leave it alone for a while tho.....

(ya right....)

Way too Neat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His shop is waaaaay better than mine. I can't walk across the shop without tripping on compressor hose, oxy/acetylene hoses, extension cords, welding leads, walking around cherry picker, stepping over three German Shepherds, kicking empty beer cans and bottles. Then there is alway an oil slick of some kind. Then I put down oil dry and it stays for a month. Various nuts and bolts on the floor. Pieces of scrap metal. Oh I forgot about floor jacks. Fans to try keep down the Alabama heat.

So yes, way too neat and clean.

:flipoff2:

J.R.

trainrech said:
Is it just me, or is that area waaaay too organized and clean?

That's called enforced neatness - what happens when your wife parks in the other half of the garage. Actually kind of surprised that you're still allowed in the garage, Bruce! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom